What's new

Reasons why BAF should not go for Russian made jets.

Zabaniyah

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Some of us including me, have mentioned that the MIG-35 would be good for the BAF.

Some even stated that the MIG-29 realistically addresses all of BAF's requirements for the cost-effective aircraft.

After some fact finding and discussions, it was found that MIGs or even Sukhois aren't that great for the BAF. It was also found that the F-7s are operationally more feasible than the MIG-29s in the context of the BAF. Even though the F-7 may be technologically inferior to the MIG-29.

Here are the reasons why the BAF shouldn't go for more MIGs, but instead go for Chinese or Western jets:

-Twin engined aircraft use up more fuel. Russian engines consume a lot of fuel.

- Russian engines have a lower life and requires more maintenance than Western made engines. That means higher operational costs over the next 15 years; that is, the time frame for upgrades.

- From the experience of both the IAF and BAF, the Russian made RD-33 engines on the MIG-29s can be very problematic. Coupled with high operational costs, this adds more costs to the overall aircraft. This is one of the reasons why the Indians turned to Western made jets during the MMRCA.

- The bottom line is, it is not just the unit costs that count. What counts is the life-cycle costs of the overall aircraft. What matters are, good quality weapons and spares, weapons and spares delivered on time, good end user support from the supplier, and overall a good future potential. The MIGs don't offer those!

Russian aircraft are more rugged that western aircraft and is more soldier proof.

However, Chinese aircraft are copies of Russian aircraft and cheaper.

Ideal to have Chinese.

but the F7 is a MiG 21 copy..so whats the point buying those inferior jets. Maybe BAF should watch which aircraft india chooses for its mmrca. And order those jets for themselves too...

but the F7 is a MiG 21 copy..so whats the point buying those inferior jets. Maybe BAF should watch which aircraft india chooses for its mmrca. And order those jets for themselves too...

That's what I had in mind.

The MMRCA in India was very thorough and frankly, I am impressed :tup:

is't Bangladesh a poor country ? they need to concentrate on their economy rather buying new toys for their airforce ... a bunch of new planes aint gona change anything ...

is't Bangladesh a poor country ? they need to concentrate on their economy rather buying new toys for their airforce ... a bunch of new planes aint gona change anything ...

hmmmmmm.......Wait! There's an Einstein rollin on the court.

BD is growing @ 7% CAGR and Pakistan @ 2% CAGR. So, In Next 15 Years, BD will be ahead than Pakistan. :cool:

Well, I am personally against any form of arms race with any of my country's neighbors. In fact, Bangladesh's military budget is just over 1% of its GDP.

But every country needs a military for its own national security. The South Asian region is a volatile one. Having a secured air space is a strategic imperative.

That is why Bangladesh needs a capable and a sufficient air force. It is inevitable that many of BAF's old birds like the A-5 and the F-7 would need to be replaced at some point in the future.

And frankly, the MIG deal was not a good investment decision, coupled with a poor evaluation criteria as far as the actual requirements of the BAF go. But then, it is a good experience!

hmmmmmm.......Wait! There's an Einstein rollin on the court.

BD is growing @ 7% CAGR and Pakistan @ 2% CAGR. So, In Next 15 Years, BD will be ahead than Pakistan. :cool:

^^^ :lol: :lol: :lol:

Money is not material when defence of a country is contemplated.

From the threads the BD posters are appending, it appears that Bangladesh is doing rather well.

A comparison across the subcontinent would prove (if what the Bangladeshi posters state is right), they are pretty much on the roll!

Yes Bangladesh is poor country, But it is not destine to be poor for its entire life... Some day it will rise.. Bangladesh definitely need 2 Sqadron (at least ) of 4+ gen Aircraft... It will give them proper training, and experience to keep an Air force... In future when Bangladesh will grow it will need more machine...

@ MiG35: If money permits, bangladesh can go for 40 (2 Sqad) of EFT or Rafael.. Grippen is also good choice.. If there is less money, They can go for F16 (If USA agrees).. If none of these are available MiG35 will be good option..

In worst case, If BD want to compromise on quality, they can go for cheap chinese machines... Russian toys are not inferior, They are more robust than Western... Please don't be in impression that russian products are cheap...

Bangladesh needs to order at least a hundred MiG-35's for that program to be sustainable,But hundred MiG's require a lot of attention since Rosoboronexport does not believe in providing quality customer care services!
They should buy the Dassault Rafale/EF Typhoon for High end and JFT/J-10 for low end roles.Hi-lo combination works for most air forces now.

Bangladesh needs to order at least a hundred MiG-35's for that program to be sustainable,But hundred MiG's require a lot of attention since Rosoboronexport does not believe in providing quality customer care services!
They should buy the Dassault Rafale/EF Typhoon for High end and JFT/J-10 for low end roles.Hi-lo combination works for most air forces now.

:what: :undecided: :disagree: who will give money ?

If and onlly IF BD continue to grow at 7% and pakistan at 2% in next 15 years. And i don't see that happening, its just an indian wish at best.

If and onlly IF BD continue to grow at 7% and pakistan at 2% in next 15 years. And i don't see that happening, its just an indian wish at best.

Lol. I am a well wisher of Bangladesh. Nothing is wrong in that. I posted the facts and very much possible. What's wrong in that ? :angel:

Back
Top Bottom