What's new

Raytheon closes on $284 M deal with Pakistan

R77-AE is more comparable to AMRAAM A/B versions, R77 having a higher range (90 km), but less ECCM capabilities.

the AMRAAM- C5 has a range of 105km and even better ECCM capabilites and is better than the R77- AE in terms of range and capability.

AMRAAM versions

Raytheon AMRAAM

AMRAAM C7 has alreadt been developed and has been in use for a long time in the US now.
The next thing that US has ALREADY ordered but not yet got is the AMRAAM D.

Pakistan has gotten the AIM 120 C-5.

its a very very good missile, though its not the latest even now. And will move further down the line in a couple of years when the induction of AIM 120 D starts.

AMRAAM C7 has alreadt been developed and has been in use for a long time in the US now.
The next thing that US has ALREADY ordered but not yet got is the AMRAAM D.

Pakistan has gotten the AIM 120 C-5.

its a very very good missile, though its not the latest even now. And will move further down the line in a couple of years when the induction of AIM 120 D starts.

Not true. C6 actually achieved IOC in 2006 and not a long time ago. Work on AIM-120D continues as it will be a markedly different missile.

AIM-120C5 is still a very decent missile in the South Asian context given the fact that even many of the NATO AFs do not have it. I remeber prior to this deal, most people were talking about Pakistan receiving AIM-120Bs (as in the case of RJAF).

Blain,

Isnt it better than the missiles in the current IAF inventory, But does Pakistan have other resources to use the missiles to its fullest extent. I am too much of a technical person, so layman's term would be helpful.

AIM-120C5 is still a very decent missile in the South Asian context given the fact that even many of the NATO AFs do not have it. I remeber prior to this deal, most people were talking about Pakistan receiving AIM-120Bs (as in the case of RJAF).

I never said that C5 is not a 'very decent missile' mate. I said it is a very very good missile, but it is not the latest, as even C7 has been inducted, and soon D versions will start to get inducted. Thats all;)

Blain,

Isnt it better than the missiles in the current IAF inventory, But does Pakistan have other resources to use the missiles to its fullest extent. I am too much of a technical person, so layman's term would be helpful.

You guys have something similar thus the US allowed Pakistan to buy it. If you did not have anything in the class, Pakistan of all countries would not have been sold these.

AIM-120C5 vs AA-12 is not that big of a deal. The key is how these are employed....in general capabilities-wise they would in reality be around the same performance envelope, minor differences being in the ECCM components etc...

Regardless of it being an AIM-120C5 or AA-12, if I were a pilot and saw one coming at me, I would be very worried. Lets just hope that this fear keeps the two sides away from each others throat and we continue perpetually talking about them on these forums...I'd rather have this than a war where they are actually used. (God forbid) ;)

I never said that C5 is not a 'very decent missile' mate. I said it is a very very good missile, but it is not the latest, as even C7 has been inducted, and soon D versions will start to get inducted. Thats all;)

Agreed. :)

Regardless of it being an AIM-120C5 or AA-12, if I were a pilot and saw one coming at me, I would be very worried. Lets just hope that this fear keeps the two sides away from each others throat and we continue perpetually talking about them on these forums...I'd rather have this than a war where they are actually used. (God forbid) ;)

Exactly, you stole my words...:angel:

You guys have something similar thus the US allowed Pakistan to buy it. If you did not have anything in the class, Pakistan of all countries would not have been sold these.

AIM-120C5 vs AA-12 is not that big of a deal. The key is how these are employed....in general capabilities-wise they would in reality be around the same performance envelope, minor differences being in the ECCM components etc...

amen!!!!nn

I don't know if you guys already know this, but Pakistan has already ordered 300 AIM-9M 1/2 (they are being converted to AIM-9 8/9 standard now by Raytheon) and is supposed to get these toward the end of this year (2007), if I am not mistaken.

SD10 and AMRAAMC5 are slighlty comparable. That is the reason US sold AMRAAM to PAF... Nothing else.

AIM-120-C versus AA-12 is a win for Amraam... Don't overpush the Russians in that. If AA-12 was that good the Chinese would not have build own version a la SD10. They would have copied AA-12 and bought more then a few just in case...

Aim9L (latest) versis Archer is a win for Archer. Just read German experiments and conclusions. That was the reason behind US moving towards AIM9X and Europe starting IRIS-T...

SD10 and AMRAAMC5 are slighlty comparable. That is the reason US sold AMRAAM to PAF... Nothing else.

AIM-120-C versus AA-12 is a win for Amraam... Don't overpush the Russians in that. If AA-12 was that good the Chinese would not have build own version a la SD10. They would have copied AA-12 and bought more then a few just in case...

Aim9L (latest) versis Archer is a win for Archer. Just read German experiments and conclusions. That was the reason behind US moving towards AIM9X and Europe starting IRIS-T...

AIM-9L is not the latest...you know that too ;)

The difference here is that AIM-9L and 9M are not true "High Off-boresight" missiles. Thus you cannot compare 9L/9M to AA-11. A better comparison would be AIM-9x (as you said) or IRIS-T or ASRAAM with AA-11 and I think all of the US/Western AAMs are better than the Archer.

AIM-9L is not the latest...you know that too ;)

The difference here is that AIM-9L and 9M are not true "High Off-boresight" missiles. Thus you cannot compare 9L/9M to AA-11. A better comparison would be AIM-9x (as you said) or IRIS-T or ASRAAM with AA-11 and I think all of the US/Western AAMs are better than the Archer.

>>>Aim9L (latest) versis Archer is a win for Archer. Just read German experiments and conclusions. That was the reason behind US moving towards AIM9X and Europe starting IRIS-T...

Read again... Latest AIM9L (=version L 8/9)...

>>>Aim9L (latest) versis Archer is a win for Archer. Just read German experiments and conclusions. That was the reason behind US moving towards AIM9X and Europe starting IRIS-T...

Read again... Latest AIM9L (=version L 8/9)...

Again, AIM9L is not the latest and there is no AIM-9L 8/9. The AIM series is in alphabetical order....with each new letter representing the evolution..so Pakistan acquired AIM-9L in the mid 90s giving PAF the ability to engage aircraft head on due it its "all-aspect" capability.

AIM-9M and AIM-9M-8/9 were acquired post 2000 and are the latest non-HOBS AAMs in the US/NATO service and now also in service with the PAF.

Back
Top Bottom