What's new

Raymond Davis Case: Developing Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best thing is, he's under Punjab Government control and not the federal government's. Lets see who has more balls to face up to the US.

I've heard the families of the victims have been offered US visas... Wonder if that's true.

Pakistan shooting: Pakistan court bars release of U.S. Consulate official in shooting - latimes.com

The decision to keep Raymond Davis in custody comes despite U.S. claims that the consulate official has diplomatic immunity. The case puts the Pakistani government between anti-American sentiment at home and pressure from Washington, a major supplier of aid.

Reporting from Islamabad, Pakistan —
A Pakistani judge Tuesday barred authorities from releasing an American Consulate official accused of double murder despite the U.S. government's insistence that diplomatic immunity shields him from prosecution.

Five days after Raymond Davis shot to death two Pakistani men in the eastern city of Lahore in what he said was self-defense, authorities here showed no signs of bowing to demands from the U.S. Embassy in Islamabad that the 36-year-old be freed because he is a diplomat and therefore cannot be tried on criminal charges.

Lahore High Court Chief Justice Ijaz Chaudhry's ruling preventing Davis from being handed over to U.S. authorities comes as domestic pressure builds on the government to put Davis on trial. The case has stoked the already intense anti-American sentiment that pervades Pakistani society, and has been portrayed by many in the Pakistani news media as an illustration of U.S. arrogance.
The emotional uproar the shooting created has forced President Asif Ali Zardari's government into a corner. Zardari risks a massive popular backlash if he frees Davis under pressure from the United States, a major supplier of aid to Pakistan.

So far, Zardari and the ruling Pakistan People's Party have played it safe. The president told a U.S. congressional delegation Monday that the best tack would be to let the courts decide Davis' fate.

In his ruling, Chaudhry said the government would have 15 days to take a position on whether Davis was protected by diplomatic immunity, though he added that he would ultimately decide whether immunity applied.

"It's an extremely delicate situation for the government," said Hasan Askari Rizvi, a Lahore-based security analyst. "If Zardari lets [Davis] go, then he faces a lot of criticism … and the government would be completely isolated from the political domain. But prosecuting him creates problems with Pakistan's relations with the U.S. So in both situations, the government is in trouble."

The events leading up to the shooting Thursday remain hotly disputed. Davis told police he had just withdrawn money from a bank in Lahore and was stopped at a traffic-choked intersection when two men on a motorcycle and armed with handguns approached. He said he thought the men planned to rob him and that when one of them pointed a gun, he fired several times. One of the men died at the scene and the other died at a hospital.

A Toyota Land Cruiser carrying U.S. Consulate officials summoned to the scene by Davis went the wrong way on a one-way street and struck a man on a motorcycle, killing him, authorities said. Police say the consulate has yet to hand over the driver of that vehicle.

The U.S. government has not released the name of the arrested American, but Pakistani authorities have publicized his passport, which identifies him as Davis.

The embassy maintains that the official is protected by the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations, which accords immunity to all diplomats. Embassy officials say he is a member of the U.S. mission's technical and administrative staff.

Davis' exact duties remain unclear, and the embassy has not clarified what his position is.

It also has not said why he was carrying a firearm. Under Pakistani law, officials with embassies and foreign missions can possess such weapons only if they obtain permission from the Pakistani Foreign Office.

The issue of American diplomats and security officials traveling through the country while carrying firearms has been controversial

It's on...

Asim Aquil;1457469]Lytton Road Police should present some the recorded police complaint against Faheem,

Please read the entire posting I put up from the Paksitani media and you will find the Police complaint against the two robbers same day, short time before their failed stick up of Mr. Davis, by two Pakistani gentlement, whose cell phones and money were stolen and then found on the person of the two robbers who had failed to then successfully rob Mr. Davis. All this false information is an attempt to find fault when the fault lies with armed robbers, both found armed, both found with stolen property, both named in a police complaint by the two Pakistani gentlemen they did successfully rob a short time before they went after Mr. Davis.

Where is the pity for young Pakistani suicide terrorist bombers used the day before there in Lahore to murder 35 innocent Pakistanis, men, women and children, wounding 180 more Paksitanis? These two were robbers, criminals. One successful robbery on record now, one failed and the last attempted robbery on record now. Perhaps more which Police investigation can yet turn up.

The thing is, how did the information about his business visa leak out before and nobody was denying it till today? Now Malik suddenly says its not a business visa but a diplomatic one?

Why is Pak government granting such visas to IT technicians? If nothing else we should use this opportunity to flush and expose out the US loyalists

I agree with you that there is much that is rotten here, but now is not the time and place to open up that can of worms.

That improvement will come later I am sure.

If they were seasoned criminals as it has been alleged so many times by you and various others supporting Davis, then there should have been some more cases and reports against them...

They didn't just become criminals and went on a robbing spree and then ended dying in the most controversial case of the decade in Pakistan. These are the sort of inconsistencies that when raised Americans either answer with a no-comment or start quoting the Vienna conventions.

It sucks but the situation for him is that his innocence has to be established rather than guilt since he is being viewed as an enemy of the state, people don't care about the Vienna Conventions. The US embassy is giving all the statements and comments that make him look more and more like a spy.

After Egypt, Jordan and Yemen's governments surrendering to pressure, the Pak government just cannot risk the same won't happen in Pakistan when push comes to shove.

Whoever he is, the US must allow for the full judicial process to take place.

zahoor-feb-2-640x480.jpg
If the other guy's Zardari, who is the bee-hive headed man?

So these are all Islamists I guess esp. considering they mention Aafia's name.
Aafia's family has already refused to ask for an exchange, since they say there is no comparison and can't do that to the families of the victims

Fahim-shamshad | Geo News Blog

LAHORE: Geo News has received the detailed post mortem report of two deceased men, allegedly killed by US citizen David Raymond as later opened fire on them near Abid market at Mazang Chowk. According to the report, deceased received nine bullets altogether out of which one bullet struck the each deceased from the front. Doctors from King Edward University conducted post-mortem of Faizan Haider and Faheem Shamshad. Report...

I wonder why Davis found the need to empty out 9 bullets? After he shot them once in the front, he went on to shoot them again in the back. Execution style?

I'm wondering how come the US media hasn't been more aggressive in getting Davis freed?

Fahim-shamshad | Geo News Blog

I wonder why Davis found the need to empty out 9 bullets? After he shot them once in the front, he went on to shoot them again in the back. Execution style?

With all due respect, Asim: The bolded part is mere speculation at this point, so I would request you, at least, to refrain from it. I know you are better than this.

I'm wondering how come the US media hasn't been more aggressive in getting Davis freed?

If you mean Faux News then consider the fact that they probably know the real identity and his line of work. Their coverage could lead to info out there they may not want out there. I am sure State Dept dispatched the instructions to them.

Ehhhhh, because it is trying to wait for the result of the investigations before whipping up a rabid fury? :D

With all due respect, Asim: The bolded part is mere speculation at this point, so I would request you, at least, to refrain from it. I know you are better than this.
Hence the question mark, Vcheng, I'm acknowledging that its speculation.

For the most part, technically he should be innocent until proven guilty. The problem is such concepts are only applied in a court of law, and right now the fight is on whether or not to take this to trial.

I personally think he deserve a free and fair trial in the Pakistani court, but the issues of immunity might prevent that from happening, hence I'm doing my bit to raise enough questions and point out the uncertainty of his innocence given that he may be an enemy of the state - that a trial is deemed necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom