What's new

Railways puts bullet train project on fast track

Why don't people see the bigger picture. When you start such projects, there is cost/benefits analysis. The know-how it brings finds its way in existing system. Railways knows more than what you know.

No! First manage the existing lines and improve them! People are dying for God's sake! I am paranoid of traveling in trains! Just 5 years back traveling in trains was so much better, but the negligence and lack of infrastructure has almost destroyed our railway network!

We do not HSR! We already have low-cost airlines connecting most Indian towns and cities.

The Indian masses need more of the current broad-gauge trains! They are fine about traveling for 1-2 days. But they need better comfort, cleanliness, schedule, longer trains, better stations, and better safety! Spending ridiculous amounts of money on HSR?! Thats crazy! Let them make the current lines efficient first!

Introduce bullet trains, get rid of old unsafe ones. Thats the way to progress. People arguing against the modern projects in favor of upgradation of existing ones are similar to the ones who argue to upgrade current Migs and Sukhois instead of buying new Rafales or Sukhoi Pak FA's.

Upgradation of existing infra can only happen by embracing new technology, not stretching the limits of old and obsolete ones.

Introduce bullet trains, get rid of old unsafe ones. Thats the way to progress. People arguing against the modern projects in favor of upgradation of existing ones are similar to the ones who argue to upgrade current Migs and Sukhois instead of buying new Rafales or Sukhoi Pak FA's.

Upgradation of existing infra can only happen by embracing new technology, not stretching the limits of old and obsolete ones.

MiG and Sukhois are obsolete tech! The analogy doesnt apply to our railways.

The existing lines of 110kmph trains are enough for India. India is still a 3rd world country!! You are all pampered people here! You probably dont even need the railways! But am speaking for the majority of the country! You think lower class people will agree to have the current lines replaced by some fancy unusable HSRL?! The Railways are the bread and butter of the lower class. They just need safety, comfort, proper amenities, and more trains+infrastructure. Not some fancy HSR.

HSR costs are extremely high. So damn high!! Why do we need to waste good money on something we don't need? We need that money to at least make the current lines efficient. And also to improve roads across the country. These are the basic needs. If one needs fast travel, they can always opt for low cost airlines.

HSR can be thought of when our country is well off. Our country is already in deep economic crap.....! I think HSR is not needed for until another 20-25 years. Even USA doesn't have HSRL.

HSR is a luxury, not a need.

MiG and Sukhois are obsolete tech! The analogy doesnt apply to our railways.

The existing lines of 110kmph trains are enough for India. India is still a 3rd world country!! You are all pampered people here! You probably dont even need the railways! But am speaking for the majority of the country! You think lower class people will agree to have the current lines replaced by some fancy unusable HSRL?! The Railways are the bread and butter of the lower class. They just need safety, comfort, proper amenities, and more trains+infrastructure. Not some fancy HSR.

HSR costs are extremely high. So damn high!! Why do we need to waste good money on something we don't need? We need that money to at least make the current lines efficient. And also to improve roads across the country. These are the basic needs. If one needs fast travel, they can always opt for low cost airlines.

HSR can be thought of when our country is well off. Our country is already in deep economic crap.....! I think HSR is not needed for until another 20-25 years. Even USA doesn't have HSRL.

HSR is a luxury, not a need.

Read about the corridor it is being used in. It's not going to be used by middle class people. It's going to be used by business men giving them access to regions where they would probably not think of visiting before.

What would the result be?
Additional investment in those regions and economic betterment of the localites.
As for the rest of the tracks and trains, they are beyond obsolete!

The US doesnot have HSR's because their existing, rail, road and air systems are decades beyond ours. They don't need one. Ditto for countries like Germany where cars travel on roads at speeds faster than our trains.

HSR will benefit India in that it will expand the urban sprawl which is around 30 kms today to around 100-150 kms. Why it is needed? KPMG and Planning commission of India did two parallel studies on the growth of urban population in India and both findings were similar (I do not have the link here unfortunately). About 110 million population will move from rural to urban on the backdrop of the economic growth in the next 10 years. And many of the current tier 1, tier 2 cities are currently saturated and can't accomodate even a few million more. So the only option is expanding the spread of the cities but inorder to do that beyond 30-40 kms to say 100-150 kms one needs HSR.

Take the case of Delhi for example - Delhi has a population of around 1.8 million and is saturated and have expanded into Gurgaon, Noida, Faridabad etc. Noida is expanding into Greater Noida but beyond that it can't as the commute will become an issue. Metro will be there linking greater noida with Delhi. Likewise Gurgaon Rapid metro will be linked with Delhi metro. But can it expand more? yes it can if the time taken to travel between Delhi and those places far away from Delhi is slashed down. That is where HSR comes in.

And HSR will not be funded by the Indian government. It will be on a PPP(Public Private Partnership) basis which would translate into plan, build, operate and transfer. A private company will invest, build the HSR, operate it for few years and get back the investment through the revenue collected by way of tickets and other revenues (like leasing out shops in various stations) and transfer it to Indian government. So I do not understand this opposition to the HSR. As I mentioned before, HSR is only one part of the Indian Railway vision 2020 and it is not "instead of" project.

I gave thanks for changing migs only, none other things.
Old technology is unsafe this is 1st time i am hearing this crap. Perhaps you should check what is the limit of overstretching a conventional track. It is vell above 200KM/h mark. So get clear you facts. 2nd thing I am also in favor of HSR train. What people are saying here I oppose it. I will give a example. Many of you would have heard about India 1st magnetic levitation train Delhi Mumbai corridor. An Indian NRI was going to build it. Then Indian politicians said he should invest in building water purifier plants & toilets. See where we have reached here. Neither we have enough toilets neither clean purified drinking water. Same will happen now also. It's happen only in India.

The existing lines of 110kmph trains are enough for India. India is still a 3rd world country!!
Come on dude:disagree:
You think lower class people will agree to have the current lines replaced by some fancy unusable HSRL?! The Railways are the bread and butter of the lower class. They just need safety, comfort, proper amenities, and more trains+infrastructure. Not some fancy HSR.
HSR is not going to replace existing lines!!
existing lines are going to be upgraded to 220 km/h stantards
SemiHighSpeed.jpg

There is nothing wrong in adopting cutting-edge technologies, especially for strategically and economically important infrastructures like Railways.

Those who are saying we first need to upgrade the existing inventory, let me give an example. No matter how much you modernise/ upgrade your old Fiat Padmini, it will be a Shiny/ Glossy old model only. If you have the money and long term growth prospects (I hope India do), you will purchase an Audi/ BMW. :cheers:

I think with the progress of the Freight corridor along with this new track, Western India (Gujarat/Maharashtra, Rajasthan etc.) are going to grow in leaps and bounds.

Back
Top Bottom