Railway passenger fare hiked by 14.2% with immediate effect from today

arp2041

BANNED
The cash-strapped Indian Railways hiked passenger fares by 14.2% in all classes and freight charges by 6.5% with immediate effect on Friday.

After Tuesday’s pre-budgetary meeting with finance minister Arun Jaitley to seek an enhanced central financial assistance by way of Gross Budgetary Support (GBS) to the Railways, the railways minister said that a decision to hike fares would be taken after a meeting with Prime Minister Narendra Modi this week.

“Innovative methods to raise additional funds by permitting Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) or by taking to the Public Private Partnership (PPP) route and through the floating of bonds are being considered. After the drift of the past several years, the Railways need to be infused with a new dynamism now”, Gowda told a group of journalists at Rail Bhawan.

The decision of the Railways today restores an announcement of May 16, the day Lok Sabha election results came, when the same hike was effected but immediately put on hold.

The Railways had then issued a notification effecting hike in passenger fare by 14.2 per cent across the board and freight charges by 6.5 per cent from May 20. This was followed up with an official press release.

The then Railway Minister Mallikarjun Kharge came out with a statement directing the Board to leave the decision on the hike to the new government.

Presenting the interim rail budget in March this year, Railways Minister D V Sadananda Gowda’s predecessor M Mallikarjun Kharge had factored in an across the board 10% hike in passenger fares besides an additional 4.5% raise as fuel adjustment component (FAC) and an increase of freight charges of 6.5%.

At a recent meeting with railway board officials, Gowda is understood to have agreed to the proposals.

Figuring high on Gowda’s agenda are plans to build high speed corridors and to accord greater priority and funding to central rail projects in Jammu and Kashmir and the North Eastern states.

The exercise of reviewing the long list of pending projects worth over Rs. 1.50 lakh crore — with the possible intention of scrapping some unviable ones that have been bleeding the railways — has also been initiated by Gowda.

“The ongoing and last mile projects need greater priority,” he said.

Railway passenger fare hiked by 14.2% with immediate effect from today - Hindustan Times

The cash-strapped Indian Railways hiked passenger fares by 14.2% in all classes and freight charges by 6.5% with immediate effect on Friday.

After Tuesday’s pre-budgetary meeting with finance minister Arun Jaitley to seek an enhanced central financial assistance by way of Gross Budgetary Support (GBS) to the Railways, the railways minister said that a decision to hike fares would be taken after a meeting with Prime Minister Narendra Modi this week.

“Innovative methods to raise additional funds by permitting Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) or by taking to the Public Private Partnership (PPP) route and through the floating of bonds are being considered. After the drift of the past several years, the Railways need to be infused with a new dynamism now”, Gowda told a group of journalists at Rail Bhawan.

The decision of the Railways today restores an announcement of May 16, the day Lok Sabha election results came, when the same hike was effected but immediately put on hold.

The Railways had then issued a notification effecting hike in passenger fare by 14.2 per cent across the board and freight charges by 6.5 per cent from May 20. This was followed up with an official press release.

The then Railway Minister Mallikarjun Kharge came out with a statement directing the Board to leave the decision on the hike to the new government.

Presenting the interim rail budget in March this year, Railways Minister D V Sadananda Gowda’s predecessor M Mallikarjun Kharge had factored in an across the board 10% hike in passenger fares besides an additional 4.5% raise as fuel adjustment component (FAC) and an increase of freight charges of 6.5%.

At a recent meeting with railway board officials, Gowda is understood to have agreed to the proposals.

Figuring high on Gowda’s agenda are plans to build high speed corridors and to accord greater priority and funding to central rail projects in Jammu and Kashmir and the North Eastern states.

The exercise of reviewing the long list of pending projects worth over Rs. 1.50 lakh crore — with the possible intention of scrapping some unviable ones that have been bleeding the railways — has also been initiated by Gowda.

“The ongoing and last mile projects need greater priority,” he said.

Railway passenger fare hiked by 14.2% with immediate effect from today - Hindustan Times

Forget the railways .... BJP proposed to hike prices of each cigarette by Rs3.50 :hitwall:

this alone will not help railways ,should have properly used railway land, immense potential there.

Hahaha...
stop smoking....:P
Arrrggghhh I so mad right now .... I swear imma smoke 'em fags !!!
apple-smoke-1.jpg

--
bas.. i thugh 10 will do
3.5 is so less
that's like more than 35% increase on the whole pack. I think it about time to bring back the good old hukka out !!

Since you are known as a die hard BJP supporter here :), what's your take on that? And although OT, what's your take on the ID number issue?

It will effect the common man... My personal opinion I think it is about time.

A long delayed, necessary decision. Had it be done years ago, possibly many people would not have to die.

Since you are known as a die hard BJP supporter here :), what's your take on that? And although OT, what's your take on the ID number issue?

:D

Well since I am a die hard BJP fan, what am I about to write may not get your approval :D

I salute good decisions by ANY govt. & this is one of them, infact it was the last UPA govt. which was about to bring the hike but was in it's end days so decided against it.

I am FOR IT & would have been for it even if Congress would had made the decision, to prove that i am not changing my stance, you can chk this thread..............

Railway & General Budget (India) - 2013-14

Had praised some good steps taken by GOI in last budget.

I think it's time we should get rid of our Hypocrisy.....we want good infrastructure, faster trains, good platforms & many more things, but we arent' ready to pay for IT. As it is the fares are one of the LOWEST in the world which were bound to increase.

Either take the bitter pill of slight fare hike & make Indian Railways completely bankrupt..........Indians have to decide.

Ache din aa rahe hai:)

Don't understand why OPPOSITION people are using it as a tool for mocking this govt...............

Let's debate......Don't you think the HIKE was due? & the article itself says that it was the last govt. that was about to make the hike.......

:D

Well since I am a die hard BJP fan, what am I about to write may not get your approval :D

I salute good decisions by ANY govt. & this is one of them, infact it was the last UPA govt. which was about to bring the hike but was in it's end days so decided against it.

I am FOR IT & would have been for it even if Congress would had made the decision, to prove that i am not changing my stance, you can chk this thread..............

Railway & General Budget (India) - 2013-14

Had praised some good steps taken by GOI in last budget.

I think it's time we should get rid of our Hypocrisy.....we want good infrastructure, faster trains, good platforms & many more things, but we arent' ready to pay for IT. As it is the fares are one of the LOWEST in the world which were bound to increase.

Either take the bitter pill of slight fare hike & make Indian Railways completely bankrupt..........Indians have to decide.

Don't understand why OPPOSITION people are using it as a tool for mocking this govt...............

Let's debate......Don't you think the HIKE was due? & the article itself says that it was the last govt. that was about to make the hike.......
When the hike was proposed by the previous govt , they were forced to rollback by the same opposition who is in power today. not to mention onions today touched 40 rs . so yes i am skeptical.
after all modi came to power promising a reduction in the cost of living , you must admit that !!! he has built up very high expectations , so he will be criticized for ever hike whether he likes it or not.

IMHO its high time we hiked the price.

When the hike was proposed by the previous govt , they were forced to rollback by the same opposition who is in power today. not to mention onions today touched 40 rs . so yes i am skeptical.
after all modi came to power promising a reduction in the cost of living , you must admit that !!! he has built up very high expectations , so he will be criticized for ever hike whether he likes it or not.

IMHO its high time we hiked the price.

Yes, I agree completely.

But India cannot run on FREEBIES like NAREGA, Right to food, subsidies forever afterall Money doesn't grow on trees.............

I am from a middle class family, this fare hike affects me just like any other middle class person, but i can't be BLIND, we have to take the bitter pill if TRUE ACCHE DIN for India can really come.

Yes, I agree completely.

But India cannot run on FREEBIES like NAREGA, Right to food, subsidies forever afterall Money doesn't grow on trees.............

I am from a middle class family, this fare hike affects me just like any other middle class person, but i can't be BLIND, we have to take the bitter pill if TRUE ACCHE DIN for India can really come.
you wont like my ans mate , so lets just leave it . :)