What's new

Rafale pitted against PAF in 2006

Windjammer

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Exercises between French and Pakistani Forces - La France au Pakistan - Ambassade de France au Pakistan

TASK FORCE 473

On Tuesday, 11th of April, the French Carrier Group with the nuclear powered aircraft carrier “Charles de Gaulle” will hold a series of exercises centred on air defence with the Pakistan Air Force. These exercises will oppose the PAF aircraft to the Rafale and Super Etendard embarked on the carrier. They will carry out attack and defence missions on the sea and over the land in the vicinity of Karachi. A VIP trip organized on the 10th of April will enable Pakistani Service officials to discover the “Charles de Gaulle” in action and provide the setting for various last minute briefings.

This exercise is the first of a series that will enable French and Pakistani forces, which have always shared excellent defence relations, to train together. After the dedicated exercise with the PAF, the French Carrier Group will carry out exercises with the Pakistan Navy involving submarines and surface vessels next May. The presence of the Carrier Group is a rare opportunity to train with the neighbouring states of the area. It has thus conducted an exercise with Saudi Arabia and India, and will do so with Pakistan and the United Arab Emirates, in addition to various interactions with Qatar and Yemen.

The Carrier Group is present in the Indian Ocean, the Arabian Sea and the Gulf to perform a mission in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. Pakistan being a frontline state in the same struggle against terrorism, it is an excellent opportunity to carry out exercises with the Pakistani services, a big first with the PAF, which is the air force -apart from France- that flies the largest number of French aircraft in the world, and with the PN building on 40 years of cooperation. It is worth mentioning that in May and June 2005, a task group from the PN held various exercises with French Navy in the Red Sea, the Mediterranean and the Atlantic Ocean.

2.jpg02-2.jpg

3.jpg03-2.jpg

Visit of Vice Admiral Muhammad Haroon to aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle
4.JPG04-2.jpg

Aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle
5_Fregate_Lancaster.jpg05-2.jpg

Frigat Lancaster
6_Fregate_Cassard.jpg06-2.jpg

Frigat Cassard
7_Sous_marin_Saphir.jpg07-2.jpg

Submarine Saphir
8-_Sous_marin_Saphir.jpg08-2.jpg

Submarine Saphir
9-_Rafale.jpg09-2.jpg

Rafale

Pakistani, French Forces to Hold Joint Exercises

ISLAMABAD, 9 April 2006 — Pakistani and French forces are to hold joint drills in the Arabian Sea to further reinforce their cooperation in the areas of military tactics to counter terrorism.

“The French carrier group with the nuclear-powered aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle will first carry out drills with the Pakistan Air Force (PAF) from April 11 followed by exercises with Pakistan Navy (PN) next month,” said a statement issued by the French Embassy in Islamabad yesterday.

French Rafale and Super Etendard aircraft and French-origin Mirage aircraft of the PAF will take part in the exercises beginning April 11.

“The jets of the two forces will carry out attack and defense missions on sea and over land in the vicinity of the port city of Karachi,” said the statement.

“The French carrier group is present in the Indian Ocean, the Arabian Sea and the Gulf to perform a mission in support of the operation Enduring Freedom,” the statement said.

It added the drills would provide an “excellent” opportunity to work with armed forces of Pakistan, which is a “front-line” state in the war against terrorism.

Pakistan and France are members of the Coalition Maritime Campaign Plan (CMCP) — a maritime component of Operation Enduring Freedom, the US-led international anti-terror coalition launched in Afghanistan in 2001 against the Al-Qaeda terrorist network.

Pakistan, the United States, France, Britain, Australia, Italy, Japan, Germany, the Netherlands and Spain are members of the CMCP, which operates in the Gulf of Oman, the Arabian Sea and waters off the Horn of Africa to deter terrorists, and arms and human smuggling.

After holding exercises with the PAF, the French carrier group will carry out drills with the PN involving submarines and surface vessels in May. During the exercises the two air forces will carry out maritime and land attack and defense missions.

A PAF spokesman said this would be the first of a series of exercises aimed at enabling French and Pakistan air forces understand new aspects of joint trainings.

Pakistani, French Forces to Hold Joint Exercises | Arab News

Whats the purpose of posting a 9 year old news? It was just a joint exercise. Where were they pitted against each other?

You will need to dig up and read the comments by the French journalist who was embedded with Charles de Gaulle.

I dont know why did you post this?

If the exercises are held now, that makes more sense as the Rafale deal is going on between India and France.
No issue dude, remember PAF checked out the Rafale along with EF Typhoon back in 2005 or so.

DSC08206.jpg

So ? India checked up F16,F15,Typoon,Gripen etc etc way back from 2002.
So what? Some one shared a piece of information about some exercises we have done in past with a platform our opponents may acquire. Whats wrong with discussing that ?

@Windjammer back then we had the money so PAF should have acquired EF :-)

Whats the purpose of posting a 9 year old news? It was just a joint exercise. Where were they pitted against each other?
That's exactly what I was thinking. What's the point of this thread which is a decade old? Lots has changed since then. I don't think the French would be contemplating another exercise with Pakistan due to the changed geopolitical environment and internal situation in Pakistan.

So what? Some one shared a piece of information about some exercises we have done in past with a platform our opponents may acquire. Whats wrong with discussing that ?

@slapshot
PAF checked out both platforms , in fact, then the PAF air chief flew the EF Typhoon and nicely remarked that the aircraft is too modern for the PAF. Actually there were issues with it's voice command system.

ACM Tanvir Mahmood Ahmed - Chief of the Pakistan Air Force flying Eurofighter of 29 Reserve Squadron of RAF on 1st November, 2006.He became the first Pakistani to fly the Eurofighter Typhoon.
538529_572756176083257_870284061_n.jpg

@slapshot
PAF checked out both platforms , in fact, then the PAF air chief flew the EF Typhoon and nicely remarked that the aircraft is too modern for the PAF. Actually there were issues with it's voice command system.

ACM Tanvir Mahmood Ahmed - Chief of the Pakistan Air Force flying Eurofighter of 29 Reserve Squadron of RAF on 1st November, 2006.He became the first Pakistani to fly the Eurofighter Typhoon.
I doubt he used the words "too modern for the PAF".

That's exactly what I was thinking. What's the point of this thread which is a decade old? Lots has changed since then. I don't think the French would be contemplating another exercise with Pakistan due to the changed geopolitical environment and internal situation in Pakistan.

Rafale F1 in 2006 without the current sensors, RBE2AA radars or SPECTRA or even Democles PODs and with older engine.

Did I raised any question regarding thread, all I asked about the logic behind this particular post.

@slapshot

good thread and piece of history

I fail to see the Indian objection here. they feel threatened and acting possessive over an aircraft they are going to buy from France.

I fail to see the Indian objection here. they feel threatened and acting possessive over an aircraft they are going to buy from France.
I think many are seeing through the timing of all this and preempting the "you may by the Rafale but we already know everything there is to know about it so aren't scared" nonsense I fully expect is on its way in a few weeks coupled with "you may have the vastly superior airforce on paper but we have the world's best super duper pilots who can shoot down an F-22 with a blindfold on in a F-7".

Latest posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom