What's new

Rafale jets ‘exceptional’, IAF will like to have more of it, says IAF’s Air Chief Marshal Arup Raha

kaykay

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Describing the Rafale fighter jets as “exceptional”, IAF chief Air Chief Marshal Arup Raha on Tuesday said the force would like to have more of the aircraft and insisted that the recently signed contract for 36 fighters was better than other such deals.

He also spoke about “unsolicited offers” that India has received from Boeing, Saab and Locheed Martin to manufacture fighter aircraft in India and said the company which offers the best deal will be selected.

He said Saab’s Gripen is a “good fighter” as compared to others like F-16 of Lockheed Martin but the decision will depend on many factors.

“Any air force will be proud to have aircraft of the Rafale class which is in mid-weight category. In terms of its weapons capability, air-to-air missiles, beyond visual range, air-to-ground, its avionics, instrumentation and warfare suite, it is exceptional and one of the leading aircraft of the current generation,” Raha said.
Asked if 18 more aircraft would be procured, he said, “Well, we would like to have more. But it is a decision that will be taken in the near future.”

The 7.878 billion Euros (Rs 59,000 crore) deal for 36 Rafale fighter jets was signed on September 23. The new planes will give a big boost to IAF’s defence and strike power.
The most important aspect of the deal, apart from the fact that the Rafale is a 4.5 generation fighter jet, is the firepower that India is getting in the form of long-range and Beyond Visual Range (BVR) missiles.
Rafale jets will come equipped with state-of-the-art missiles such as Meteor and Scalp. Meteor is a BVR air-to-air missile with a range in excess of 150km.
“It is better in terms of price, performance-based logistics, missiles among others,” he said on the Rafale deal in comparison to the MMRCA tender and deals signed by France with other countries in world.
On the induction of light combat aircraft Tejas, he said it would be done in six squadrons, including the upgraded version.
He said the next version called Tejas ‘Mark-A’ would come with better radar, weapons, avionics, and its production will start in 2021.
Raha also said IAF would also be upgrading the Sukhoi 30 MKI fighter jets besides the Jaguar.
On the integration of BrahMos missiles with the Sukhoi 30 MKI, Raha said, “We hope to fire a live missile in three months.”
The IAF chief, who heads the Chiefs of Staff Committee (CoSC), a body of the three service chiefs, said he hoped the government would resolve the issues of the 7th Pay Commission and that the forces have decided to implement it based on the government’s assurances.
http://indianexpress.com/article/in...ays-iafs-air-chief-marshal-arup-raha-3065206/

Few important points to note from IAF chief's statements.
1. IAF will likely to go ahead for 18 more Rafale.
2. India will go ahead for one among F-16, F-18SH or Gripen under make in India category. Decision will be based on their offers such as price, ToT, future perspectives etc.
3. Tejas will have a total 6 squadron( Tejas mk1+ mk1A combined).
4. Tejas mk1A with AESA radar, better weapons and avionics etc will be ready for production by 2021.
5. Deal on Super sukhoi upgrades and Jaguar upgrades to be signed soon.

Exceptional?? Yeah as they are dam easy for IAF's pilots to operate..Just a button to go up, a button to go right and a button to go left..:lol::lol:

But No button for down as thats the duty of PAF to take them down..:pakistan::pakistan:
@I S I
Wow...
Then how we will land it on runway at peace time

Inducting outdated air frames like SH18 , F16 doesn't seems like a lucrative decision, they should induct more Rafales (close to 200 mark) and fill the LWF category with Tejas Mk1A and Mk2's later.

Exceptional?? Yeah as they are dam easy for IAF's pilots to operate..Just a button to go up, a button to go right and a button to go left..:lol::lol:

But No button for down as thats the duty of PAF to take them down..:pakistan::pakistan:
@I S I
lol tbh this comment goes with u r dp full marks for being stupid

@I S I
A button to go up and a button to turn right or left?? I hope that's not how they teach PAF pilots to fly.

Inducting outdated air frames like SH18 , F16 doesn't seems like a lucrative decision, they should induct more Rafales (close to 200 mark) and fill the LWF category with Tejas Mk1A and Mk2's later.
IAF should consider su34 too,it will come handy against plaaf.

IAF's love for foreign maal is nothing new but I seriously hope they don't consider the outdated F-16 & F-18. That would be the dumbest decision IAF can ever take, where on one hand USAF itself is phasing out the Falcons and Hornets in favor of F-35. LM/Boeing would be openly looting GOI/IAF by selling these outdated aircraft no matter what block they offer us or what upgrades & subsystems they put into it and given the kind of strings attached with which these US fighter jets come, its just not worth it to take the risk particularly in case of an important asset like fighter jets. I hope they would induct more Rafeles (atleast one more squadron), upgrade the MKIs, Mirage 2Ks & Jaguars and pump more money into the development of LCA mk2 and naval LCA and look into a possible joint venture with a private firm to increase the production of LCAs along with joint development Kaveri Engine with ADA, DRDO & Dassault/Safran.

US, Sweden, French, Russian, Indian won't operating so many different jets would be a logistic nightmare?

There is not much a MKI can't do which Su-34 can.
34 having unparellel range in its category and weapon load. Which will come handy to strike deep inside China.
Also having an air superiority fighter is not an excuse for not having its strike variant,Russians went for 34 despite of having 27,30,35 and Americans devolop strike eagle from f15 eagle.

Last edited:
We should first induct the 36 Rafales before starting discussion on the follow on order

As a rule of thumb
India never buys at one go
They place orders in batches

Take any defence procurement in last 50 years
If the product is good then follow on order is always placed

As u know
India was only supposed to induct 50 Su30 MKi
But ended up ordering 270

IAF should consider su34 too,it will come handy against plaaf.

For that they have Rafales (which is mainly meant for PLAF) , IAF doesn't need another heavy platform besides Mki's. i don't think even j20 stand much chance against IAF Rafales NG's. This should be an eye opener for PAF

Goodday

For that they have Rafales (which is mainly meant for PLAF) , IAF doesn't need another heavy platform besides Mki's. i don't think even j20 stand much chance against IAF Rafales NG's. This should be an eye opener for PAF

Goodday
Range,its lacks range and the weapon load out. And b/w how u concluded j20 will be inferior to rafale.

Back
Top Bottom