What's new

Rafale Contract for Egypt comes into force

Vergennes

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
France
(Saint-Cloud, France, November 15, 2021) – The contract for the acquisition by Egypt of 30 additional Rafales to equip its air force came into force.

DA00019231_S.jpg

Announced on 4 May, this contract completes the first acquisition of 24 Rafales, signed in 2015, and will bring to 54 the number of Rafales operated by the Egyptian Air Force, the second in the world, after the French Air Force, to operate such a fleet of Rafales.

It sets a new milestone in the strategic partnership between Egypt and France, and strengthens the historical ties forged with Dassault Aviation for nearly fifty years. It also demonstrates the satisfaction of the Egyptian authorities with the smooth execution of the first contract. Finally, it confirms the technological and operational excellence of the Rafale and its export success.

In a demanding geopolitical context, Egypt has chosen the Rafale to ensure its role as a key player in the regional and international arena, in full sovereignty. This is an honour for Dassault Aviation and its partners, who are fully committed to meeting the expectations of the Egyptian authorities,” said Eric Trappier, Chairman and CEO of Dassault Aviation.

@Gomig-21 @Philip the Arab @The SC is Egypt getting the meteor with these? As far as I remember the US withheld Amraams from Egypt. Thanks.

The US temporarily withheld the export of the SCALP cruise missile to Egypt because it contained sensitive US made components that MBDA was using as part of an agreement with the US on parts of certain types. Also the CISMOA treaty of non transfer of sensitive parts had not yet been signed by Egypt and so they couldn't use that to make the deal go through. Instead, France & MBDA made adjustments so that the US part will be pulled out of all the missiles coming to Egypt (50-100) and French made units will replace them and they made good on their promise. Egypt now has it's full stock of SCALPs under the contract they singed with MDBA.

Now the Meteor is supposed to be a part of the 2nd Rafale contract which is currently in production.
Saudi Arabia and Egypt are the two Arab countries waiting for the clearance of the Meteor missile.

1637017674990.png

As a matter of fact, there are quite a few countries waiting for the clearance on the Meteor, including Brazil, South Korea, Greece, the UK, Thailand and a few others.

But then there's this little bit of disturbing words.

In May 2015, Qatar ordered 160 Meteor missiles to equip the Dassault Rafales of the Qatar Emiri Air Force.[74]
Greek Air Force is expected to equip its Rafale fighters with Meteor missiles.[75] Egypt's Rafale order excluded the long-range Scalp and Meteor missile's[76]
[77]

So I'm not sure what they mean by "Egypt's order excluded the long-range SCALP and Meteor missiles"? I have no idea what that means nor do I understand how Qatar is equipping its 34 Rafales of the same standard as the EAF's and the EAF isn't getting meteors until its batch of F3R are in house, if they even approve them?

As you can see, it's not really an easy question to answer.

The first deal was 50 scalpels, and 25 missiles were delivered with the deal, and the other 25 were free of charge due to the delay in delivery, and another group of more than 50 missiles was contracted MBDA
@Gomig-21 @Philip the Arab @The SC is Egypt getting the meteor with these? As far as I remember the US withheld Amraams from Egypt. Thanks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom