What's new

RAC MiG suggests upgrading MiG-29 fighters operated by the air forces of Ba

22000 flying hours.... since the soviets thought of having to make planes in large number anyways during cold war...
you can increase its lifespan with a basic upgrade package for 40000+ hours but if you go overboard... a maximum of 80000+ hours. around 10-15 years
(note the numbers are conservative) and then you need an overhaul... you can do 3 overhaul on one aircraft... ours have done its 1st and can serve 30 more years according to pilots.

All bow to the immortal fighter plane! :D

Mig 29 airframe is being known as unreliable and quite problematic. The maintenance cost is quite prohibitive, the reason why Malaysia retired their 20 fleets of Mig29 is because the operational cost and airframe structural problems in which plagued their operational readiness

And yet the Malays still use Russian planes(?)

Russian air frames are designed to operate under harsh conditions with less required maintenance to begin with. Whereas for air frames in Western jets, there is something called Line Replaceable Units (LRU's) which make system repairs very fast. But, that would mean more infrastructure and more manpower on the ground.

The MiG-29 can pull so many G's, that it will kill the pilot first instead of the plane itself. I don't see how is it that you say that the MiG-29's air frame is 'cost prohibitive', 'problematic' and 'unreliable'. Do you know how much was the per hour operating cost relative to the Hornets they operate? You should.

And yet the Malays still use Russian planes(?)

Russian air frames are designed to operate under harsh conditions with less required maintenance to begin with. Whereas for air frames in Western jets, there is something called Line Replaceable Units (LRU's) which make system repairs very fast. But, that would mean more infrastructure and more manpower on the ground.

The MiG-29 can pull so many G's, that it will kill the pilot first instead of the plane itself. I don't see how is it that you say that the MiG-29's air frame is 'cost prohibitive', 'problematic' and 'unreliable'. Do you know how much was the per hour operating cost relative to the Hornets they operate? You should.
as far as i know... the maintainance is harder compared to sukhois... so you need more experienced technicians to maintain the aircraft... and yes... i heard of a g limited installed in the fly by wire system because of how fatal it can be to the pilot itself....

as far as i know... the maintainance is harder compared to sukhois... so you need more experienced technicians to maintain the aircraft... and yes... i heard of a g limited installed in the fly by wire system because of how fatal it can be to the pilot itself....
Yes, it is little tough compared to sukhoi, but that's cuz Russian Aircraft Corporation MiG is a jerk when it comes to after sales service & spare support.

And to a great extent it's also a matter of the particular countries capabilities too. Like maintenance budget, the air force's expartise in operational planning (means planning how much time the plane will spend in air & plan, schedule maintenance, that would be required after the plane completes those hours, buy & stock necessary spares accordingly etc.)

For general people it's the aircraft/design at fault. But it has many more aspects that general people simply don't know or understand.

Last edited:
Yes, it is little tough compared to sukhoi, but that's cuz Russian Aircraft Corporation MiG is a jerk when it comes to after sales service & spare support.

And to a great extent it's also a matter of the particular countries capabilities too. Like maintenance budget, the forces expartise in operational planning (means planning how much time the plane will spend in air & plan, schedule maintenance, that would be required after the plane completes those hours, buy & stock necessary spares accordingly etc.)

For general people it's the aircraft/design at fault. But it has many more aspects that general people simply don't know or understand.
i think bangladeshi migs have been maintained with strict scrutiny... because of how few of these glorious birds we have... or maybe because of the enthusiasm to operate and maintain that aircraft by the airmen of the force.

i think mig 29 will be upgraded to smt as it is the cheapest of the upgrade model

i think bangladeshi migs have been maintained with strict scrutiny... because of how few of these glorious birds we have... or maybe because of the enthusiasm to operate and maintain that aircraft by the airmen of the force.

And how few operating/flying hours they see as well :P

well that's where you're wrong... a pilot have already said they're flown for patrol sortie everyday and everyday their fuel cost alone is 10cr BDT

They can say anything they want to. Most 3rd party observation says the migs are mostly not seeing much activity. It may have changed a bit for the better (since the near full grounding days), but my sources tell me nothing to write home about.

BTW when is it proposed for these Migs to be retired?

They can say anything they want to. Most 3rd party observation says the migs are mostly not seeing much activity. It may have changed a bit for the better (since the near full grounding days), but my sources tell me nothing to write home about.

BTW when is it proposed for these Migs to be retired?
During khaleda's time there was lots of dramas with these migs. She wanted em sold because expensive to maintain... she wanted everything in the armed forces sold... from fighters to ships... she was nuts.

The people in the force preserved it in hangars after khaleda stopped providing budget for spares... heck I am happy that our airmen maintained em inspire of them not being paid at those times...

But since the f-7 bgs was bought around 2006... the migs started seeing service again and had been flying everyday since then....

The pilot whom I am talking about have said you can overhaul a mig 29 for a total of 3 times... our one have seen its first a few years back and two more to go before being retired... he estimated that they can serve for thirty years, this was said a few years back too... and I am sure I can find online videos where he talks about condition, maintenance and this aircrafts in detail... but you won't understand because he is speaking in Bangladesh for audience sake.

I would give them till 2035-2044 before they're retired if they are flown at current rate... although I doubt that because nowadays they're flown even more for pilot training besides patrol duty... I expect them to be finished off before 2030

The pilot did mention that each mig 29 can serve for 40 years and that you need an overhaul every 10-15 years depending on the condition with 15 being critical....

My thoughts....though we owned em for quite some time... they're maintained like 1yo kids because of how little numbers we got and em being the best we got atm

During khaleda's time there was lots of dramas with these migs. She wanted em sold because expensive to maintain... she wanted everything in the armed forces sold... from fighters to ships... she was nuts.

The people in the force preserved it in hangars after khaleda stopped providing budget for spares... heck I am happy that our airmen maintained em inspire of them not being paid at those times...

But since the f-7 bgs was bought around 2006... the migs started seeing service again and had been flying everyday since then....

The pilot whom I am talking about have said you can overhaul a mig 29 for a total of 3 times... our one have seen its first a few years back and two more to go before being retired... he estimated that they can serve for thirty years, this was said a few years back too... and I am sure I can find online videos where he talks about condition, maintenance and this aircrafts in detail... but you won't understand because he is speaking in Bangladesh for audience sake.

I would give them till 2035-2044 before they're retired if they are flown at current rate... although I doubt that because nowadays they're flown even more for pilot training besides patrol duty... I expect them to be finished off before 2030

The pilot did mention that each mig 29 can serve for 40 years and that you need an overhaul every 10-15 years depending on the condition with 15 being critical....

My thoughts....though we owned em for quite some time... they're maintained like 1yo kids because of how little numbers we got and em being the best we got atm
there r 4 migs flew at a short interval..but according to someone we have only 2..!!:cheesy::cheesy:

Last edited:
could someone explain why does our mig 29 come with a stall limiter? it's not like mig 29 can't recover from a stall...

Back
Top Bottom