What's new

Question....

Keysersoze

Reaction score
Heathrow worker sacked over stud
Amrit Lalji
Amrit Lalji wears the stud as part of her Hindu faith
A Heathrow Airport worker has been dismissed for wearing a nose stud.

Amrit Lalji, 40, of Stanmore, north-west London, who worked for caterers Eurest, said she wore the tiny piercing as a mark of her Hindu faith.

She had worn the stud at work for more than a year until a manager told her to remove it. She refused and was suspended, and subsequently sacked.

Eurest said for health and safety reasons jewellery and piercings were not allowed at work.

Mrs Lalji said she had produced a letter from her local Hindu community to support her case.

Work hazard

"I feel I am being discriminated against," she said. "It is only a tiny stud and I wear it as part of my Hindu faith."

Ms Lalji's union, GMB, said it would hold talks with her employer to try to have her reinstated immediately.

Jewellery can harbour bacteria, create a hazard when working with machinery and find its way into the food people eat
Eurest statement

Union official Tahir Bhatti said: "The company always knew she would not remove the nose stud and clearly had no problem with this until a manager complained."

A statement by Eurest said Mrs Lalji had been advised of company policy "on a number of occasions".

"Jewellery can harbour bacteria, create a hazard when working with machinery and find its way into the food people eat," it said.

"Mrs Lalji's decision not to return to work without the nose stud contravenes company rules and regulations, and she was dismissed."

Last year, Heathrow worker Nadia Eweida was suspended by British Airways for wearing a Christian cross but later reinstated following condemnation by clerics and politicians.

BBC NEWS | England | London | Heathrow worker sacked over stud

Now the question I have is ........Is this actually a symbol of Hindu faith or is she making it up? I haven't heard of this particular symbol. Can any of the Hindu memebers enlighten on this?

I think its an Indian thing rather than a Hindu thing. Many Pakistani 'sophisticated' aunties also sport one at times.

Unless its a special kind of stud.

bc60024d724f992dc1198c59c87e5467.jpg

Ok that's definitely a Hindu thing, I've seen girls sporting it on Navratari n all the daandia events... But that's SO tiny! I hope Neo can educate us on the airport safety guidelines on this and is it really such a hard and fast rule...?

So many different hindus have such a variety of different beliefs that I really cannot comment. In my family the nose stud is not a religious symbol. It differs from region to region and family to family.

That aunty is not wearing a nose stud.

On Lighter side I hope VOAA does not accuse us Brits of being not secular now. However this is not the first case and couple of months ago they did sack another employee for wearing a small cross.

Don't do that. Don't unnecessarily bring in somebody for the sole purpose to attack him/her.

yeah i think the issue here is not so much the religious symbols one (like in the case of the other woman who was reinstated after a huge furore) but a health and safety one.

Oh god....that thing is almost invisible!!

The problem I have is this.......If the thing is not of real religious value and it is against health and safety then she should not be given a exception. There was a issue many years ago where Sikhs were told that they had to wear crash helmets when riding a motorcycles.

The problem I have is this.......If the thing is not of real religious value and it is against health and safety then she should not be given a exception. There was a issue many years ago where Sikhs were told that they had to wear crash helmets when riding a motorcycles.

I'm guessing that its more of tradition rather than religion. But who knows...maybe it is part of her religious belief.

About the health and safety part....I seriously doubt it...if such a tiny stud is a health hazard then earrings, wedding rings, necklaces and specs are so much worse!!

The Sikh crash helmet is a very bad dilemma. There is just one solution: Special XXL helmets to accomodate the turbans inside!

Back
Top Bottom