What's new

Qila Rohtas – legacy of the subcontinent’s ‘Lion King’

Your history is very shitty.
:rofl: That's why I am a senior wiki editor on Indian History.
Sikhs are punjabi hence its stupid to say they "looted" their own native lands.
What's your problem? Loot is loot. My question was - What happened to the control of the fort later if it was invincible?
Marathas never "looted" Punjab rather they were paid a large sum of money
:hitwall: Marathas also came to Bengal to get Chauth(tribute). Being a Bengali, I know what happened next. BTW, my question was not on Marathas . Stop being touchy. And, what about Brits???:big_boss:

Flame bait?
Read the OP.
1) Sher Shah=Phatan
2)Todar Mal= Panjabi Bania
3)Mann Singh= Rajput
4) Akbar=Mughal
5) Finally, Marathas, Sikhs and Brits looted Punjab at different times after the Mughals.
The question is only centered around Punjab asked to a Panjabi.:coffee:

Todar Mal was not Punjabi.

British came to power in Pubjab coz of your kind (Who were the first people to fall to the British - Siraj UD dawla - Plassey) whom he used as canon fodder to defeat Punjab ..

And that's the reason the Pubjabis who hate you joined the british army in large numbers to pay you back in he same coin and plunder you.. Hence the over representation of Punjabis,Pashtuns and other frontier region tribes (Modern day Pakistan) in the British army ...
Is the Pakistan army(Panjabi) martial?
Are Punjabi Muslims martial? Do they have a history of war and conquest or at least of resistance to conquest? I ask because there’s no evidence of their martial character in our history. No general, no subedar, no thanedar, no wazir, no bakhshi of the Mughal empire was a Punjabi Muslim so far as I know.

I might be wrong about this but there are only two Punjabi Muslims named in Mughal texts. The first is Kamaal Khan Gakkhar, who submitted (without fighting) to Akbar in 1576, according to Akbarnama. The second is Jalal Khan Gakkhar, an old man named among the victims by Jahangir in a skirmish with Afghans in 1620. A third reference is indirect, the name of the author of Shah Jahan’s Padishahnama is Shaikh Abdul Hamid “Lahori”. The Ain-e-Akbari has one joint reference to Janjuas and Awans, calling them tribes conquered by Afghans. There are of course Punjabi Hindus (mainly Khatris) who fought for the Mughals with distinction. Like Todar Mal, who led the sapping at the siege of Chittorgarh against the Sisodiya Rajputs, and also settled the revenue system for Akbar. Maathir ul Umara says Todar Mal was born in Lahore, though British scholars thought this was Laharpur in Awadh.

Where are the Punjabi Muslims? The fact is that the Punjabi Muslim is a convert mainly from the peasantry (Jat) which is not martial. General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani is Gakkhar, a caste that claims Rajput ancestry. The second Rohtas fort was built by Sher Khan Suri to pacify the Gakkhars. In his Tuzuk, Jahangir makes the remark in passing that the Gakkhars are warlike, but adds that they only fight among themselves. Meanwhile Rajput, Afghan, Maratha, Sikh, Jat (Hindu) and tribal Hindu generals all fought for and against Mughal armies. Rajputs had to be continually submitted by force, except for the loyal Kachwahas of Ambar (Jaipur). Right down to Aurangzeb, according to Maasir-e-Alamgiri, Mewar’s Sisodiyas and Marwar’s Rathors resisted the emperor. I clarify here that Muslims other than Punjabis fought the Mughals, and some very well.

Uttar Pradesh’s Rohilla Afghans were enemies of the Mughals and one of them (Najibud Daulah) ruled from Mughal Delhi for 10 years. Turkish-speaking Turani Sunnis and Farsi-speaking Irani Shias were the most important parties in the Mughal court. The former ranked as better fighters than the latter, who were better administrators. The fiercest Indian-origin Muslims were Shias, the Syeds of Barha (in Uttar Pradesh). The Maratha light cavalry was devastating and ended Muslim rule over India. The Sikhs captured Punjab and raided west up to Kabul and east up to the Doab. The Jats south of Delhi made life miserable for the later Mughals. Even the Baniya general Hemu showed martial character, almost ending Mughal rule before falling at the second battle of Panipat.

What exactly did the Punjabi Muslim do? Invaders who got past Peshawar could then only be stopped at Karnal or Panipat because they went through Punjab undisturbed. It is true that the armies of both Nadir Shah and Ahmed Shah Abdali were harassed in Punjab on their return with Mughal booty, but their attackers were Sikhs, not Muslims. Punjab was a quiet state. Punjabi Muslims neither rebelled against Mughal Delhi nor fought any invader whether Afghan or Persian. Was this because the Punjabi did not want to fight other Muslims? Not really, because he did not even resist being conquered easily by Sikhs.

It is the Englishman who 150 years ago gave the Punjabi Muslim a rifle and taught him how to use it. But this did not require any martial background. The British Bengal army was full of UP Brahmins (like Mangal Pandey). It is only after this formation of the modern regiments, that Punjabi Muslims are called martial by writers like GF MacMunn. After the English left, the record of Punjabi Muslims at war under their own generals is not sterling. I count one draw and one loss and I’m being charitable. Against the Pashtun Talib the record is not encouraging, despite the thousands of martyrs. Nadir Shah said of Indian Muslims after the battle of Karnal that they “know how to die, but not how to fight”.

This is fine and many states of India are not martial. Few soldiers were produced by Bengal’s Hindus for instance, and not many by Gujarat even today. But they don’t have the militant bombast of the Punjabi Muslim (who apparently equals 10 Hindus). I’m just wondering what this bombast is based on because I cannot figure it out.
Is the Pakistan army martial? – The Express Tribune:rofl:

:rofl: That's why I am a senior wiki editor on Indian History.
What's your problem? Loot is loot. My question was - What happened to the control of the fort later if it was invincible?
:hitwall: Marathas also came to Bengal to get Chauth(tribute). Being a Bengali, I know what happened next. BTW, my question was not on Marathas . Stop being touchy. And, what about Brits???:big_boss:

So you are a wiki editor so ? :lol:

Are Punjabi Muslims martial? Do they have a history of war and conquest or at least of resistance to conquest? I ask because there’s no evidence of their martial character in our history. No general, no subedar, no thanedar, no wazir, no bakhshi of the Mughal empire was a Punjabi Muslim so far as I know.

I might be wrong about this but there are only two Punjabi Muslims named in Mughal texts. The first is Kamaal Khan Gakkhar, who submitted (without fighting) to Akbar in 1576, according to Akbarnama. The second is Jalal Khan Gakkhar, an old man named among the victims by Jahangir in a skirmish with Afghans in 1620. A third reference is indirect, the name of the author of Shah Jahan’s Padishahnama is Shaikh Abdul Hamid “Lahori”. The Ain-e-Akbari has one joint reference to Janjuas and Awans, calling them tribes conquered by Afghans. There are of course Punjabi Hindus (mainly Khatris) who fought for the Mughals with distinction. Like Todar Mal, who led the sapping at the siege of Chittorgarh against the Sisodiya Rajputs, and also settled the revenue system for Akbar. Maathir ul Umara says Todar Mal was born in Lahore, though British scholars thought this was Laharpur in Awadh.

Where are the Punjabi Muslims? The fact is that the Punjabi Muslim is a convert mainly from the peasantry (Jat) which is not martial. General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani is Gakkhar, a caste that claims Rajput ancestry. The second Rohtas fort was built by Sher Khan Suri to pacify the Gakkhars. In his Tuzuk, Jahangir makes the remark in passing that the Gakkhars are warlike, but adds that they only fight among themselves. Meanwhile Rajput, Afghan, Maratha, Sikh, Jat (Hindu) and tribal Hindu generals all fought for and against Mughal armies. Rajputs had to be continually submitted by force, except for the loyal Kachwahas of Ambar (Jaipur). Right down to Aurangzeb, according to Maasir-e-Alamgiri, Mewar’s Sisodiyas and Marwar’s Rathors resisted the emperor. I clarify here that Muslims other than Punjabis fought the Mughals, and some very well.

Uttar Pradesh’s Rohilla Afghans were enemies of the Mughals and one of them (Najibud Daulah) ruled from Mughal Delhi for 10 years. Turkish-speaking Turani Sunnis and Farsi-speaking Irani Shias were the most important parties in the Mughal court. The former ranked as better fighters than the latter, who were better administrators. The fiercest Indian-origin Muslims were Shias, the Syeds of Barha (in Uttar Pradesh). The Maratha light cavalry was devastating and ended Muslim rule over India. The Sikhs captured Punjab and raided west up to Kabul and east up to the Doab. The Jats south of Delhi made life miserable for the later Mughals. Even the Baniya general Hemu showed martial character, almost ending Mughal rule before falling at the second battle of Panipat.

What exactly did the Punjabi Muslim do? Invaders who got past Peshawar could then only be stopped at Karnal or Panipat because they went through Punjab undisturbed. It is true that the armies of both Nadir Shah and Ahmed Shah Abdali were harassed in Punjab on their return with Mughal booty, but their attackers were Sikhs, not Muslims. Punjab was a quiet state. Punjabi Muslims neither rebelled against Mughal Delhi nor fought any invader whether Afghan or Persian. Was this because the Punjabi did not want to fight other Muslims? Not really, because he did not even resist being conquered easily by Sikhs.

It is the Englishman who 150 years ago gave the Punjabi Muslim a rifle and taught him how to use it. But this did not require any martial background. The British Bengal army was full of UP Brahmins (like Mangal Pandey). It is only after this formation of the modern regiments, that Punjabi Muslims are called martial by writers like GF MacMunn. After the English left, the record of Punjabi Muslims at war under their own generals is not sterling. I count one draw and one loss and I’m being charitable. Against the Pashtun Talib the record is not encouraging, despite the thousands of martyrs. Nadir Shah said of Indian Muslims after the battle of Karnal that they “know how to die, but not how to fight”.

This is fine and many states of India are not martial. Few soldiers were produced by Bengal’s Hindus for instance, and not many by Gujarat even today. But they don’t have the militant bombast of the Punjabi Muslim (who apparently equals 10 Hindus). I’m just wondering what this bombast is based on because I cannot figure it out.

Mr patel from india got fked here:

A Tale of three Castles

And shit coming is seriously very funny .. Even when you talk about british who ruled you with an iron hand for 200+ years... forced famines,discriminatory policies .. Compare to Pubjab where they recruited heavily and .

Last edited:
:rofl: High on rhetoric, very low on Substance. Not a Single point is refuted. :lol:

There are so many inaccuracy in that article that its not even worth debunking. The problem with hindus historians is all to see here. They will proudly claim punjabi khokhars and jats of timur invasion were hindus, but in reality they were muslims. Other day i was reading that chathas against sikhs were pathans. If not for folklore then hindus would have claimed that punjabi Dullah Bhatti as hindu and rewritten history. Dillo Gondal who resisted Nadir Shah in gondal bar was also hindu according to them.

So many haters yet so many of them claim us :lol:

Last edited:
54dc677a3e2bc.jpg

Terrace near the Mori or Kashmiri Gate. The fort has 12 gates in total. – Photo by Ema Anis

Among the list of legacies left behind by Sher Shah Suri – the 'Lion King' of the subcontinent – is the Qila Rohtas, which lies upon a low rocky hill on the Grand Trunk (GT) Road near the city of Jhelum in Punjab.

It was built in the 16th century on Sher Shah's orders by Raja Todar Mal in order to suppress the tribes of the region and also to check Humayun’s entry into India.

54dc6781ce9e3.jpg

Portion of the wall surrounding the fort. – Photo by Ema Anis

54dc678cceb73.jpg

A view of the Langar Khani gate. The fort has 12 gates. – Photo by Ema Anis

The foundation of GT road which connects several cities of Punjab and extends to India, Afghanistan and Bangladesh was also laid down by Sher Shah Suri.

54dc67a43a22f.jpg

A merlon on a terrace inside the fort. – Photo by Ema Anis

54dc67be2057a.jpg

The Rani Mahal. – Photo by Ema Anis

54e6fdc8ba318.jpg

Raja Maan Singh's Haveli. – Photo by Ema Anis

The fort also houses the residence of Raja Maan Singh, the most trusted general of Mughal emperor Akbar who stayed here briefly after Sher Shah's death. Maan Singh's haveli was built on the highest point of the fortress.

54dc67ade5fc3.jpg

A view of the surrounding wall of the fort. – Photo by Ema Anis

54dc67c8be657.jpg

Near the Shah Wali Gate. – Photo by Ema Anis
Lovely picture..............
IF you don't mind i will share some of my story on this topic, Rohtas quila was named after a district in Bihar state (India) where he made his capital, in sasaram also in Bihar state there is the tomb of Sher shah suri which i have seen just last year. It is kept in very good condition i will post some picture in some time. Do you know how he got his name sher shah ,legend is he killed a lion with just a small knife all by himself. GT road(Great trunk road) was constructed by him from Peshawar to Dhaka, he was one of the first King in Indian subcontinent to put symbol for value of gold and silver coin. He was a great ruler but more important he was modern ruler who understand trade and economy much better than the kings of his times.

:rofl: High on rhetoric, very low on Substance. Not a Single point is refuted. :lol:

Says the poor bangali troll ... Whose "credibility" is that he is a "wikipedia" editor hahahahahahahahahahahhaahhahahahah....

And posts childish one liners on PDF.. Grow up kid... Read a book.

As to the British indian army part here are some stats from 1903 from one "Bombay army " alone .. The numbers of Punjabi musalman dwarfed any other group ... (Do check the VC listings)... The first british Indian to win the Victoria Cross was Khudadad Khan from Chakwal...

Background story behind construction of Rohtas fort

Sher Shah threatened to construct such a fort in that country that it should not only effectually restrain the Ghakkars, but also the passage of the Mughals. He therefore himself made a tour through the hills of Girjhak Nlnduna [mountains circumjacent],‘ and finding a fit spot, he laid the foundations of the fort, which he called Rohtas.

Besides that, he sent a large force against Rai Sérang, the Ghakkar, and not only was the country subdued, and the hill of Balna'th plundered, which was then the residence of the Darogha of that tract, but the daughter of its chief was taken prisoner, and conducted before Sher Shah, who presented her to Khawas Khan; upon which Rai Sérang, they relate, sent a quantity of [hemp] blankets and millet to Sher Shah, with the remark that in such only consisted their raiment and food, besides which they could afford nothing; according to others, he sent a lion’s skin and some [arrows] spears, which he said was their only property. With this conduct, however, Sher Shah was by no means satisfied. Sarang [Sarang’s troops] being weakened by [skirmishes] the attacks of“ the holy warriors, and greatly reduced and straitened, submitted himself in person to Sher Shah, who ordered him to be flayed alive, and his skin to be filled with straw, and so pay the penalty of his misdeeds.

Sher Shah issued farma'ns to complete the fortifications of Rohtas ; but Todar Khatri represented that the Ghakkars, to whom that country belonged, would not allow any one to work for wages; and that they had agreed amongst themselves, upon oath, to expatriate every person that should contravene their wishes. Sher Shah, in answer, told him [that he should noways be allowed to give up that work, which he only wished to do in consequence of his greediness for gold] that the work did not seem to advance under his superintendence, and that a man who was fond of money, and was alarmed about disbursing it, would never accomplish the king’s designs. Todar, on the reception of this fresh command, fixed first a golden ashrafi as the enormous remuneration for one stone, which induced the Ghakkars to flock to him in such numbers that afterwards a stone was paid with a rupee, and this pay gradually fell to five tankas, till the fortress was completed." ’

The History of India as Told by Its Own Historians the Muhammadan ..., Volume 5 page 115

Says the poor bangali troll ... Whose "credibility" is that he is a "wikipedia" editor
Again, I say that you are "High on rhetoric, very low on Substance." Not a Single point is refuted by you.

BTW, you have no idea how wiki works. You don't even know the difference between an editor and a senior editor with partial admn power and an Admn. We (senior editors with partial admn power and Admns) are checked by professionals periodically. There is also promotion and demotion system. I myself is a part of the team of Senior editors that handle pages like Mughal Empire, Maratha Empire, Sikh Empire, The History of India etc. Any one can be editor in non-protective page. But, if they indulge in vandalism or give wrong inputs, we can overrule them, even can block them from editing..And finally, most people first read wiki and then make vainglorious claims in various forums. BTW, Not all wiki articles are 100% reliable, but those checked by us and featured marks are given are 100% genuine.

Last edited:
Again, I say that you "High on rhetoric, very low on Substance." Not a Single point is refuted by you.

:rofl: Adina Baig,Dulla Bhatti,Janjuas and Ghakars,Khokhars etc etc .. Even gave you a link to prove you wrong.. Example of recruitment list by Bombay Army? Please shut up homie.

BTW, you have no idea how wiki works. You don't even know the difference between an editor and a senior editor with partial admn power and an Admn. They(senior editors with partial admn power and Admns) are checked by professionals periodically. There is also promotion and demotion system. I am myself is a part of the team of Senior editors that handle pages like Mughal Empire, Maratha Empire, Sikh Empire, The History of India etc. Any one can be editor in non-protective page. But, if they indulge in vandalism, we can overrule them. And, most people first read wiki and then make vainglorious claims. Not all wiki articles are 100% reliable, but those checked by us and featured marks are given are 100% genuine.

Hahaha okay.

As to the British indian army part here are some stats from 1903 from one "Bombay army " alone .. The numbers of Punjabi musalman dwarfed any other group ... (Do check
the VC listings)... The first british Indian to win the Victoria Cross was Khudadad Khan from Chakwal...

The Eden Commission reported in 1879 that the Punjab was the ‘home of the most martial races of India’ and that it was ‘the nursery’ of the best soldiers. --- The Eden Commission. IOR/L/MIL/17/5/1687,1879-1880. BL

Michael O’Dwyer, who was the governor of Punjab at the time of the fateful Jallianwala Bagh massacre, endorsed the praise and appreciation of the Punjabi soldier expressed by such authorities as Lords Roberts and Kitchener. He said that their argument “was ... irrefutable ... that if India could only afford a small army of seventy five thousand British (now reduced to under 60,000) and one hundred and sixty thousand Indian troops for the protection of a subcontinent of over 300 millions of people, it would be unwise to take any but the best Indian material and this was to be found mainly in the Punjab” --- Michael O’Dwyer, India as I knew It: 1885-1922, (London: Constable & Company Ltd, 1926), pp.213-14

‘no comparison can be made between the martial values of a regiment recruited amongst the Ghurkhas of Nepal or the warlike races of Northern India (Punjab and NWFP), and those recruited from the effeminate peoples of the South’ --- Field Marshal Roberts, Forty - one years in India, II, p.442

Back
Top Bottom