What's new

Putin says Russian city Volgograd may become Stalingrad again

hmm...a quick search in wikipedia, and this is what it has to say-

Apparently, Khruschev changed the name of the city.Incidentally, he is the same person who played a major role in Battle for Stalingrad.

I will look into the library for some more details.
your explanations are exhilirating , though wikipedia is mostly considered a sham today

your explanations are exhilirating , though wikipedia is mostly considered a sham today
Ohh.. but we are not discussing Wikipedia in general.We are talking about Stalingrad in particular.Is the information correct, according to you?

Ohh.. but we are not discussing Wikipedia in general.We are talking about Stalingrad in particular.Is the information correct, according to you?
i honeslty don't know ,
I honestly don't know , coming from i-ran the person i am , i think stalin wanted to give respect to lenin by naming a remote , unimportant town after himself...

That was my 2 dimes in the box , like americans say

Just wondering, why was the name changed in the very first place.
Stalingrad, after all, was a grand symbol of Soviet victory over the German Wehrmacht.
Khrushchev did it. He terribly jealous and hated Stalin. Khrushchev did everything to blacken the name of Stalin. It was under Khrushchev began writing tales about hundreds of millions of Christian babies, Stalin ate for breakfast.

Stalin was a man. Volga is a river. A city should not be named after a man. IMO, keep Volgograd as it is, but keep a Stalin square in the city.

Stalin was a man. Volga is a river. A city should not be named after a man. IMO, keep Volgograd as it is, but keep a Stalin square in the city.

Lots of examples are there where cities are named after a man.As for example, Vancouver.

In Russia, many cities are named in honor of czars or communist leaders. This is normal. But Stalingrad - is more than a city. Stalingrad - it is a symbol, a sign, a covenant with our grandparents, who have defended Motherland and the whole world from fascism.

Khrushchev did it. He terribly jealous and hated Stalin. Khrushchev did everything to blacken the name of Stalin. It was under Khrushchev began writing tales about hundreds of millions of Christian babies, Stalin ate for breakfast.

Khruschev also transferred Crimea to Ukraine. And liked to pound his shoe on desks. Strange fellow.

i don't know
In Russia, many cities are named in honor of czars or communist leaders. This is normal. But Stalingrad - is more than a city. Stalingrad - it is a symbol, a sign, a covenant with our grandparents, who have defended Motherland and the whole world from fascism.

That word is quite meaningful , to me

Should never have been changed, the man was an asshole but so are all leaders, it does not mean they cant be recognised in the future for the things that they did that werent terrible. Although the current name is ok the name Stalingrad is far more symbolic and patriotic to the people of Russia I imagine.

Any Ruskies who know the area, is there much anti terrorism going on there at the moment? not heard to much since the attacks so I assume any of the extremists have cooled down for now.

Their country, Their choice.
Naming it Stalingrad, must not neccessarily be construed as reviving Stalin (although it might be).
Just honouring the sacrifices of the Red Army in the war against Nazi Germany, is good enough for me.

Stalin dishonoured the Red Army by his treatment of its soldiers both before, under and after the war.

Khruschev also transferred Crimea to Ukraine. And liked to pound his shoe on desks. Strange fellow.
You can not even imagine how strange. During the time of Stalin, Khrushchev was a bit of a buffoon. At meetings of the Politburo they forced him to get drunk, and then laughed at him. He hated and feared Stalin and his aides. Khrushchev was involved in the murder of Stalin. Khrushchev destroyed much that created Stalin. Khrushchev canceled the gold ruble and destroyed State Planning Comission. Now we can say with confidence that Khrushchev most likely openly or without knowing it worked for the West.

You can not even imagine how strange. During the time of Stalin, Khrushchev was a bit of a buffoon. At meetings of the Politburo they forced him to get drunk, and then laughed at him. He hated and feared Stalin and his aides. Khrushchev was involved in the murder of Stalin. Khrushchev destroyed much that created Stalin. Khrushchev canceled the gold ruble and destroyed State Planning Comission. Now we can say with confidence that Khrushchev most likely openly or without knowing it worked for the West.

He was also the first Soviet leader to visit the US. You know, he reacted so vibrantly when he went to an American supermarket store and found out people don't have to wait in lines to buy food. He literally said, "so you can just buy what you want?"

Just wondering, why was the name changed in the very first place.
Stalingrad, after all, was a grand symbol of Soviet victory over the German Wehrmacht.

I believe the reason is process started by Khrushchev to de stalinize USSR.

Back
Top Bottom