What's new

Punjab Health Minister calls Pakistanis illiterate and ignorant, says Lahoris are 'weird creatures'

Imran is above all criticism.

Even the failure to quarantine just 2000 people at Taftan is being touted as a glorious success.

Pakistan govt had ample time to learn lessons from Europe but it didn't.

Had this fuk up happened during Nawaz's time, he would've been a55 raped by pdf by now. But Imran, oh there are a thousand and one excuses for his failures.

And imposing curfew for 15 days wasn't rocket science. Nobody would have died of hunger, that was just fear mongering. 67 percent of Pakistanis live in villages, only urban centres had to be contained.

The govt mustn't be criticized at all........must be run by farishtas for it hasn't made a single mistake since last two years.

There were curfews in Lahore and Karachi as well. Nobody died of hunger. This isn't Bharat.

And the same Jaahils elected these PTI dimwits to power. Enough said !

So if there was curfews in Quetta than why COVID-19 cases are growing exponentially? It should've been controlled by now as per your logic of curfews.

And as for Nobody died of hunger, this was the reason why strict lockdown wasnt enforced, because people were saying the following when Sindh Govt tried to enforce it.

Hum corona se nahi marian ga lakin bhook se mar jaye ga

There is no reason to blame the courts where government did not provide enough evidence to prove the measures taken and pandemic.
The courts are not supposed to interfere in governance - it doesn't matter whether the government measures had evidence supporting them or not. It is the governments prerogative to enact whatever measures it deems fit to address a particular situation. The court's job is to rule on the constitutionality of those measures, that's it.

It is not the courts job to pass judgement on whether measures taken were 'good, effective, ineffective' etc. The courts job was to simply rule on whether the government had the constitutional authority to close down businesses that were not complying with government issued SOP's.

Focusing on businesses was and is the best means of enforcement because you essentially devolve responsibility to those entities/individuals who have a vested interest in keeping their businesses open and therefore will, theoretically, enforce SOP's on their customers to avoid being fined and/or closed down. Focusing on businesses also allows limited resources to be directed towards monitoring & enforcing implementation of SOP's towards a much smaller number of entities (businesses) vs a much larger group (individuals).

Only serious attempt at improving education in Punjab was probably the ‘Parha Likha Punjab’ scheme launched during the Pervez Elahi’s period in 2006. ( http://www.aaj.tv/english/national/18-mln-students-enrolled-under-parha-likha-punjab-programme/) But this also failed, maybe because 2008 elections brought PML-N in power in Punjab.

“The chief secretary was reportedly told that almost all previous reports did indicate 100 percent success of the programme with regard to the provision of missing facilities, faculty and enrolment of students.

But, with the change in the government, and field inspections by the chief secretary and other senior officials, the reports from the filed staff had started stating otherwise, lowering the success rate to a maximum 30 percent all over the province. The reason behind this was stated to be the existence of vacancies, under-utilization of development funds, and administrative failures.

Unquote
https://www.dawn.com/news/896028/parha-likha-punjab-s-efficacy-exposed

Honorable Supreme Court Judges may take a thousand ‘Suo motto’ notices, they are as ignorant about controlling locust or the Coronavirus as anyone on the streets of Punjab. Their action about locust is after the ‘Horse has bolted’ and would have no impact on the situation on the ground. Sind High Court's judgment of ordering keeping the shops
open after 5 PM and on the weekends only made the Coronavirus situation worse.

Experts know that there is no guaranteed way to destroy the locust storm. The best way is spraying the locust during the ‘gregarisation ‘ stage, which is before the locust mature. Locust breeding occurs every year in Baluchistan in the semi-desert regions of Kharan, Turbat, Dalbandin & Nushki. Very little was done until Feb 1, 2020, when all of a sudden National Emergency was declared by Imran Khan.

https://www.dw.com/en/pakistan-declares-national-emergency-over-locust-swarms/a-52224762

I would concur with @ Jungibaaz that Dr. Yasmeen Rashid’s remarks give the impression that PTI Punjab gov’t has given up on controlling the Covid-19 and now putting the blame squarely on the indiscipline of the ordinary man on the street; without acknowledging that providing education to the public is one of the essential responsibilities of the government in power. I fail to understand why did PTI gov’t think that their appeal to the public on social distancing & wearing the mask would be adhered to?

The real reason for the worsening situation of Covid-19 and the locust in Pakistan being that PTI Gov’t is not ‘pro-active’ and only reacts after the event. I think it was Haroon Rashid who aptly stated in one of the TV debates that while we got rid of the Cook that stole atta, ghee & sugar from the kitchen; we have hired a Cook who does not know how to ‘cook’.

Last edited:
The courts are not supposed to interfere in governance - it doesn't matter whether the government measures had evidence supporting them or not. It is the governments prerogative to enact whatever measures it deems fit to address a particular situation. The court's job is to rule on the constitutionality of those measures, that's it.

It is not the courts job to pass judgement on whether measures taken were 'good, effective, ineffective' etc. The courts job was to simply rule on whether the government had the constitutional authority to close down businesses that were not complying with government issued SOP's.
Sir, why do different Chief justices act so differently. Saeed Khosa was rather more interested in resolving pending case than involving itself into administrative decisions. Would you say the law or legal system in Pakistan hasn't matured enough? Or isn't there any good precedent to follow. I'm not sure what the constitution has to say in this matter.
Only serious attempt at improving education in Punjab was probably the ‘Parha Likha Punjab’ scheme launched during the Pervez Elahi’s period in 2006. ( http://www.aaj.tv/english/national/18-mln-students-enrolled-under-parha-likha-punjab-programme/) But this also failed, maybe because 2008 elections brought PML-N in power in Punjab.

“The chief secretary was reportedly told that almost all previous reports did indicate 100 percent success of the programme with regard to the provision of missing facilities, faculty and enrolment of students.

But, with the change in the government, and field inspections by the chief secretary and other senior officials, the reports from the filed staff had started stating otherwise, lowering the success rate to a maximum 30 percent all over the province. The reason behind this was stated to be the existence of vacancies, under-utilization of development funds, and administrative failures.

Unquote
https://www.dawn.com/news/896028/parha-likha-punjab-s-efficacy-exposed

Honorable Supreme Court Judges may take a thousand ‘Suo motto’ notices, they are as ignorant about controlling locust or the Coronavirus as anyone on the streets of Punjab. Their action about locust is after the ‘Horse has bolted’ and would have no impact on the situation on the ground. Sind High Court's judgment of ordering keeping the shops
open after 5 PM and on the weekends only made the Coronavirus situation worse.

Experts know that there is no guaranteed way to destroy the locust storm. The best way is spraying the locust during the ‘gregarisation ‘ stage, which is before the locust mature. Locust breeding occurs every year in Baluchistan in the semi-desert regions of Kharan, Turbat, Dalbandin & Nushki. Very little was done until Feb 1, 2020, when all of a sudden National Emergency was declared by Imran Khan.

https://www.dw.com/en/pakistan-declares-national-emergency-over-locust-swarms/a-52224762

I would concur with @ Jungibaaz that Dr. Yasmeen Rashid’s remarks give the impression that PTI Punjab gov’t has given up on controlling the Covid-19 and now putting the blame squarely on the indiscipline of the ordinary man on the street; without acknowledging that providing education to the public is one of the essential responsibilities of the government in power. I fail to understand why did PTI gov’t think that their appeal to the public on social distancing & wearing the mask would be adhered to?

The real reason for the worsening situation of Covid-19 and the locust in Pakistan being that PTI Gov’t is not ‘pro-active’ and only reacts after the event. I think it was Haroon Rashid who aptly stated in one of the TV debates that while we got rid of the Cook that stole atta, ghee & sugar from the kitchen; we have hired a Cook who does not know how to ‘cook’.
Sir, at times how wonder how do you remember such little details. Some going back decades, always a pleasure learning from your posts.

Sir, why do different Chief justices act so differently. Saeed Khosa was rather more interested in resolving pending case than involving itself into administrative decisions. Would you say the law or legal system in Pakistan hasn't matured enough? Or isn't there any good precedent to follow. I'm not sure what the constitution has to say in this matter.
I would say that our legal system has not matured enough. Someone more familiar with law schools in Pakistan might be able to provide more insight into the quality of education imparted by the majority of educational institutions, but going by some of the language used by judges in their publicly released decisions, I'm not impressed by their reasoning abilities.

I also think that the concept of suo moto is quite damaging to a country like Pakistan that is still young in terms of continuous democratic rule. How often have we seen people on social media criticizing the COAS for not doing X in response to Y thing that occurred? People were tagging ISPR when complaining about Malik Riaz's daughter assaulting Uzma Khan, or they're tagging ISPR because they somehow want the Army to 'fix' PIA or some other issue. Everyone seems to think that they or their institution have the answers to Pakistan's issues, and many judges seem to see themselves as 'saviors' and end up engaging in judicial overreach - the concept of Suo Moto legitimizes said judicial overreach.

These esteemed judges are 'mistaking the woods for the trees' - the majority of Pakistanis are not going to be impacted by Suo Moto actions against the privatization of Pakistan Steel Mills or PIA or Reko Dig or encroachments in XYZ neighborhood, they are going to be impacted by simple criminal and civil cases dragging on in the courts for years with no resolution or resolutions driven by corruption. That is where Justice Khosa was absolutely correct in focusing on resolving pending cases and minimizing judicial interference in the executive domain. Even corruption isn't something the judiciary needs to be 'taking suo moto notice' of. It is the job of NAB and/or FIA to investigate and prosecute corruption cases.

Sir, at times how wonder how do you remember such little details. Some going back decades, always a pleasure learning from your posts.

Honorable WAJsal,

I am humbled by your comments. Despite living abroad for many years, I am very much a Pakistani and therefore try to remember all things about Pakistan that interest me.

Ever since Ch Iftikhar, judicial activism has increased a thousandfold. CJ Khosa was one of the few recent examples who rightly believed that the job of the Judges is to decide on the legal cases instead of interfering in the issues which should be handled by the Executive.

Judges who like the Limelight, therefore, indulge in such antics more & more. For example, Judges are not responsible for building Dams, nor are they supposed to inspect the Hospitals. But CJ Saqib Nisaar was constantly in news because of this. Regrettably, the media is therefore equally responsible for this state of affairs. Every 'Suo Motto' action generates 'Headlines' and is discussed 'ad nauseam' in the TV talk shows thus encouraging egotistic Judges.

Last edited:
Just based on the thread title alone..

upload_2020-6-17_13-42-23.jpeg

:p:

On a more serious note - the illiteracy has nothing to do with measures and more to do with ignorance which has no relation with literacy or having a degree.

Primarily it has to do with mixed messages and economic compulsions.

The virus is spreading in first world countries as well due to the actions of both those who ignored guidelines and relaxing of restrictions - the only difference is that we should expect a similar result as in Brazil due to the lesser availability of treatments and even worse ignorance of guidelines.

You would have to see the nature of petition before accusing the courts of stepping over any imaginary boundaries.
Again one should look at the petition and the court proceedings and not rely on media reports.
Focusing on businesses was and is the best means of enforcement because you essentially devolve responsibility to those entities/individuals who have a vested interest in keeping their businesses open and therefore will, theoretically, enforce SOP's on their customers to avoid being fined and/or closed down. Focusing on businesses also allows limited resources to be directed towards monitoring & enforcing implementation of SOP's towards a much smaller number of entities (businesses) vs a much larger group (individuals).

Then shouldn't have been the case that only business complying with protocols were to be phases in.

We have lamented the select nature of business reopening which did not compliment for a viable economic drive either.

There is no shame in admitting mistakes and no glory in being stubborn

So if there was curfews in Quetta than why COVID-19 cases are growing exponentially? I
Dear, there was no curfew due to COVID.

People were saying that it isn't possible to impose curfew; I just said that in the past curfews have been imposed. Capiche?

this was the reason why strict lockdown wasnt enforced, because people were saying the following when Sindh Govt tried to enforce it.
Due to Khan's fear mongering.

Curfews have been imposed in the past due to law and order issues in Lahore and Karachi as well. No one died of hunger.

Just look at the graph when Sindh went under lockdown...

Furthermore, no PTI supporter has the moral courage to acknowledge the glaring failure to quarantine zaireen at Taftan.

People were saying that it isn't possible to impose curfew; I just said that in the past curfews have been imposed. Capiche?

Curfews have been imposed in the past due to law and order issues in Lahore and Karachi as well. No one died of hunger.

Furthermore, no PTI supporter has the moral courage to acknowledge the glaring failure to quarantine zaireen at Taftan.

Atleast give it to the lady that she did not blame mosques and shrines and temples.

I honestly have no problem with her saying the same for Karachites. She is like a motherly figure in her municipality.

Just don't want Niazi saying Livind Dead to Karachites.

I was totally fine with her opinions because it does carry some weight. (Hard pills time digest) But she didn’t have to apologize.

Judges who like the Limelight, therefore, indulge in such antics more & more
Sir, why are our people so inclined towards power and status? Anyone who gets into a powerful seat or a position they make sure to exploit and benefit. Are we so cruel or is it like this everywhere? And sir your thoughts on the case against Justice Faiz Esa.

I hear you, but here is the thing.

In past curfew wasnt enforced out of nowhere, people were told in advance, due to which they had time to do the prep work, i.e. had enough food for X number of days. Which was the concern.

More to the point, the virus wouldnt be controlled or curbed in just 15 days as per your proposal, you know why? Pakistani's testing capacity was almost non existent.

Due to Khan's fear mongering
- NOT GOING TO BUY THIS, because after 18 amendment, provinces are independent and make their own decisions because they have full autonomy, which they did and it backfired in a nasty way.

Curfew point is already addressed, however, another note. Another concern was that there was no data or statistics to know about how many people will need help - naturally this will take time (not the fault of current Govt). And once it was identified than through Ehsaas program initiative TWO million families received Rs12,000, which never happened in history of the country, why dont you appreciate it, cuz you're concern about people so yo should be glad, no? Why are you conveniently keep on ignoring it?

As to quarantine zaireen at Taftan - apologies if I've missed it. I said it in past and will reiterate it again, who's Govt is in Balochistan? CM belongs to which Party? Again, after after 18 amendment onus is on the province to make the policy because they possess liberty and mind you, this all happened when there was NO central command and control, therefore, Balochistan Govt should've done better to quarantine zaireen. However, as part of Coalition Govt onus is on PTI as well, certainly.

That said, SC of Pakistan is no less culprit, because they ordered to open shopping malls and markets seven days a week, which were earlier shut down during the lockdown imposed to curb the coronavirus pandemic - why dont you question their decision & legal acumen?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom