What's new

Punjab and the Rebellion of 1857

Sounds strange coming from a marwat whose family was also saved by the byproduct of imperialism?
My family saved by byproduct of imperialism? how so?.............yes a Kaliwal of mine, a distant relative, in army has done a favour to me but in the personal capacity......that officer , by the way, is a big haram-khor and has built bungalows, established large business from the corruption he has done as an army officer.

he ancestor of Bārha Sayyids, Syed Abu'l Farah AlHussaini, left his original home in Wasit, Iraq, with his twelve sons at the end of the 10th century (or in the beginning of the 11th century) and migrated to India, where he obtained four estates in Punjab. By the sixteenth century Abu'l Farah's descendants had taken over Bārha estates in Muzzafarnagar.[2]
So?, many UP Muslims (bhaiyas in your words) are remote descendants of Sayyaids and Qureshi Arabs, or claim to be. The Sayyids of Barha in the service of Mughals, considered themselves to be Hindustanis, were considered Hindustanis by Mughals (Refer to Badshahnama) and they were leaders of Hindustani (Muslim) party.....other factions were Irani and Turani.

As for masters .. Ironic coming from your kind ... It has produced more turn coats that any other group... Your kind served even those who butchered you so spare me the sermons at least unlike you we weren't doing the dirty work for every other enemy a few years later after humiliation.
You father serve in Pakistan army, successor of British Indian army, yet you have the audacity to point fingers at the jagirdars and politicians of Pakistan whose forefathers showed loyalty to British?........its ironic

As far as my kind producing so many traitors butchering their own kind...........true, many work beside your father, who have aided GHQ in nurturing Taliban , and talk with Sirajuddin Haqqani in Pashto. Hyerpion, a member here, proudly claimed that his uncle in PAF dropped bombs on his own native village. We have coined a term "Gul Khan' for them..........Do tell us what Marri tribesmen and other Balochs think about your family serving in Pakistan army? do they use word 'traitor' or 'turncoat' for you and your father.

We a small ethnic group however did rule princely states in north India aswell as Sindh and southern Panjab... And frankly we don't give a fuk about people ...
Which princely state? there was not a single Baloch princely state in North India under British except for their own native ones like Kalat, Lasbela and Kharan. Be sure to check the definition of 'princely state'.........

And Baloch is certainly not a small ethnic group, their combined population in three countries is sizable.

My family saved by byproduct of imperialism? how so?.............yes a Kaliwal of mine, a distant relative, in army has done a favour to me but in the personal capacity......that officer , by the way, is a big haram-khor and has built bungalows, established large business from the corruption he has done as an army officer.

You are a pathetic little man who hides behind so many fake user IDs and lies that one only feels pitty for you...

"Daktar sb"... Remember the mama chacha airlifted by the army due to his deteriorating health ? Or are you still stuck with that stupid rickshaw wala cousin who was slapped by a soldier for not stopping during army convoy movement !

So?, many UP Muslims (bhaiyas in your words) are remote descendants of Sayyaids and Qureshi Arabs, or claim to be. The Sayyids of Barha in the service of Mughals, considered themselves to be Hindustanis, were considered Hindustanis by Mughals (Refer to Badshahnama) and they were leaders of Hindustani (Muslim) party.....other factions were Irani and Turani.
Not in my words you idiot ... In Joe Sharears words.. Use your useless brain next time you quote me !

Also the so called Hindustanis employed themselves have arabi origins so much for the UP,CP folk you moan about stereotyping you and making jokes and whatnot..

You father serve in Pakistan army, successor of British Indian army, yet you have the audacity to point fingers at the jagirdars and politicians of Pakistan whose forefathers showed loyalty to British?........its ironic

How so? Pakistan army salutes the country not the queen .. It is just an institution created by the British much like any other .. Next time you hop on a train,sit in your local DHQ etc ... Stand up and salute the British like the moron you are .. After all be it medical colleges,trains,telephone lines or hospitals its your imperial masters creations or the ones founded by them..

As far as my kind producing so many traitors butchering their own kind...........true, many work beside your father, who have aided GHQ in nurturing Taliban , and talk with Sirajuddin Haqqani in Pashto. Hyerpion, a member here, proudly claimed that his uncle in PAF dropped bombs on his own native village..........Do tell us what Marri tribesmen and other Balochs think about your family serving in Pakistan army? do they use word 'traitor' or 'turncoat' for you and your father.

No actually they are proud .. How about your family ? Do they spit on you for taking Pakistani currency notes,studying on Pakistani subsidy,using Pakistani facilities,being the pathetic lying scum and yet being the namak haram you are ? They should.. And if not they must know that you are a "nafsiati"...
Which princely state? there was not a single Baloch princely state in North India under British except for their own native ones like Kalat, Lasbela and Kharan. Be sure to check the definition of 'princely state'.........
Oh please .. Get lost ... You have no shame licking your own filth...

"Daktar sb"... Remember the mama chacha airlifted by the army due to his deteriorating health ? Or are you still stuck with that stupid rickshaw wala cousin who was slapped by a soldier for not stopping during army convoy movement !
My chacha or mama was airlifted by Army? was he a prime minister or what? lol. You are gullible fool. And i am amazed that you have also made up a story that my cousin was slapped by some soldier..........what i narrated was, the half dozens faujis ganged up on some poor young boy with Rikhsha in my home town.....cowards, they beat up a boy at gun point......just like they beat up Motorway Police and sent for "reinforcements" against them.

How so? Pakistan army salutes the country not the queen .. It is just an institution created by the British much like any other .. Next time you hop on a train,sit in your local DHQ etc ... Stand up and salute the British like the moron you are .. After all be it medical colleges,trains,telephone lines or hospitals its your imperial masters creations or the ones founded by them..
Let me repeat myself low-IQ man.......in which capacity you are showing disgust for nowadays politicians and jagirdars whose grandfathers benefited from British when your own Pakistan army is legacy of British Indian army?

As far as my kind producing so many traitors butchering their own kind...........true, many work beside your father, who have aided GHQ in nurturing Taliban , and talk with Sirajuddin Haqqani in Pashto. Hyerpion, a member here, proudly claimed that his uncle in PAF dropped bombs on his own native village. We have coined a term "Gul Khan' for them..........Do tell us what Marri tribesmen and other Balochs think about your family serving in Pakistan army? do they use word 'traitor' or 'turncoat' for you and your father.

And Baloch is certainly not a small ethnic group, their combined population in three countries is sizable.

What is your opinion about Afghanistan interference in Pakistan till 70's? Remember only then Bhutto decided to look for allies in Afghanistan.

1. As elsewhere the Hindus of SA were generally pro-British because they wanted to weaken the Muslims totally so that they could take over when the British left. There were honorable exceptions of course. The thriving Banya class and the Hindu landed gentry sided themselves with the Company.
2. Till 1849 Punjab was ruled by the Sikhs. Therefore, the Sikh aristocracy and elite dominated life and society in Punjab.Patiala Maharaja was the most powerful Sikh ruler. A stooge of the Company, he had inherited part of Ranjit Singh's army which he now had largely commanded by English officers. His support was crucial in the Company's victory against the FFs. Patiala troops had excelled the English in committing atrocities on the citizens of Delhi after the city fell. Interestingly Capt Amaranider Singh, the past CM of Punjab, is the scion of that spineless family.

1. As elsewhere the Hindus of SA were generally pro-British because they wanted to weaken the Muslims totally so that they could take over when the British left. There were honorable exceptions of course. The thriving Banya class and the Hindu landed gentry sided themselves with the Company.
2. Till 1849 Punjab was ruled by the Sikhs. Therefore, the Sikh aristocracy and elite dominated life and society in Punjab.Patiala Maharaja was the most powerful Sikh ruler. A stooge of the Company, he had inherited part of Ranjit Singh's army which he now had largely commanded by English officers. His support was crucial in the Company's victory against the FFs. Patiala troops had excelled the English in committing atrocities on the citizens of Delhi after the city fell. Interestingly Capt Amaranider Singh, the past CM of Punjab, is the scion of that spineless family.

the folks who threw their lot with the English came out ahead in all respects than the ones who fought them

What is your opinion about Afghanistan interference in Pakistan till 70's? Remember only then Bhutto decided to look for allies in Afghanistan.
Foolish actions by Afghan government........they should have recognized the legitimacy of Durand line from the beginning and should have maintained friendly relations with Pakistan......the entire Pashtunistan drama was unnecessary.......

Last edited:
Foolish actions by Afghan government........they should have recognized the legitimacy of Durand line from the beginning and should have maintained friendly relations with Pakistan......the entire Pashtunistan drama was unnecessary.......

OK then why do you blame Gul Khans for doing their job? Did you expect Pakistan to sit back and watch? TBH chances are Afghan civil war was around the corner even without ISI.

OK then why do you blame Gul Khans for doing their job? Did you expect Pakistan to sit back and watch? TBH chances are Afghan civil war was around the corner even without ISI.
But did i say that Pashtuns on both sides of border should distance themselves from each other?.......

Afghan civil war of 90s was imminent in the absence of central authority and in the presence of so many factions of mujahideen

The second incident of rebellion among the civilians occurred in the hills of Murree. Like Punjab and Kashmir, Murree too was under the occupation of the Sikhs until 1849. The people had always resisted the unpopular Sikh rule. Most of the people were apparently content with the British rule, but obviously there was some resentment as well. I wish we somebody could do a more thorough research on this subject. An article about the rebellion in 1857 in Wikipedia, states the events as under:

The War against the British reached Murree and the Southern Areas of Hazara part of which is now known as Circle Bakote in July 1857 when the Dhond Abbasi leader Sardar Sherbaz Khan planned to attack the British. Sardar Khan had managed to obtain the backing of the following important tribal leaders.
Satti leader Sardar Borha Khan
Karhal leader Sardar Hasan Ali Khan
Sardar Lalli Khan and Mian Abdul Aziz of Birote
Sardar Resham Khan of Ponch Kashmir
Malik Bahadur Khan Tanoli
However the revolt did not succeed. The rebels were betrayed and as punishment, all of Sardar Sherbaz Khan's eight sons were blasted (by cannon fire) in Murree while Sardar Khan himself was hanged. The masterminds of this plan of independence were two Seyed brothers from Dhoke Syedan of Dewal Sharif. Not everyone had been against British rule, before British rule had been established in this area, the tribes had fought against the Sikh army. Under the command of the Pir of Plasi they had fought against the Sikh Army in Balakot - the troops here were commanded by Seyed Shah Ismail Shahid and Syed Ahmad Shaheed (known as the martyrs). Pir of Dewal Sharif late Abdul Majid Ahmed grandfather had also embraced martyrdom in Dewal fighting against Sikhs army chief Hari Singh Nalwa. Nalwa's troops had brutally crushed the tribes of Circle Bakote and beheaded many of them. The British, after battling in Rawalpindi in 1845 had captured Rani Jindan, the widow of Ranjit Singh (the former Ruler of Punjab) - this then caused the collapse of Sikh rule, when the British marched into the Murree area all the local tribes initially welcomed them with roses. Within a short space of time, many of the tribes then felt they had exchanged one form occupation for another one, and it was events elsewhere in India which encouraged the uprising. However the British had recruited many of the tribes in this area into their army, for example in this area large numbers of the Satti Tribe were recruited as Sepoys into the British Army and the British commanders (like elsewhere across Colonial India) won this war largely by the use of native infantry.

(http://pakgeotagging.blogspot.com/2015/04/punjab-rebellion-of-1857.html?m=1)

The ultimate leader of all the tribes was Sherbaz Khan Abbasi. The masterminds of this plan of independence were Sardar Hasan Ali khan Karlal & the two Seyed brothers from Dhoke Syedan of Dewal Sharif. Sardar Hasan Ali Khan along with his tribe, and with the help of certain other tribes of Murree, tried to attack the Murree garrison.[5] Immediately after the conclusion of the war of independence of 1857, the British Government constructed a road linking Galyiat and Muree and establish the five cantonments of Bara Gali, Nathia Gali, Dounga Gali, Changla Gali, and Kouza Gali and garrisoned them to protect any future incursion of on Muree Garrison.[6]

Attack on Murree

By the end of August many of the British troops who had been stationed in hill stations like Murree had left to join the attack on Delhi. Rebels had taken Delhi from British control; the decision to send troops to Delhi reduced further Murree to a more defenceless state.[7]However Delhi still held out against the British and encouraged by this Dhund tribesmen in alliance with other tribes of Murree tried to seize Murree by simultaneously rising on every side and crowding up the nearer hill-sides threatening destruction of the station. Several of the Mussulman table-servants were in league with the hill-men, and for some hours the danger to Murree became imminent.[7]

The attack failed due to the fidelity of one of Lady Lawrence's personal attendants, named Hakim Khan, himself an influential man of one of the tribes that had risen. The loyalty of Hakim was described as "the means, under God, of saving Murree."[8] Alerted to the danger the British organised defences, and quickly rallied volunteers commanded by Major Luard of the 55th N.I. and Captain HC Johnstone of the 5th N.I. A cordon of sentries surrounded the station and the three weakest points were held in some force; so the Dhoonds (the distinctive name of these disaffected hillmen), stealing up the hill-sides in the dead of night found the whole station waiting for them.[7]

After a few hours of skirmishing the Dhonds retreated with the loss of two or three of their men who had come within musket range of the British. The British however were to learn that the rebellion was wider than just the Dhonds. After the repulse of the Dhoonds, it was found that the conspiracy affected many more clans at a much wider extent than had been suspected. It had reached far into Hazara and nearly down to Rawalpindi.[7]

The British also convicted and executed two Hindustani doctors for being involved in the plot. They had been educated in government institutions, were practicing in Murree and employed by the government. The British suspected that the Dhonds were expecting support from their Hindustani allies, so in addition to the doctors, several domestic servants were seized and punished. An urgent request was sent to troops in Hazara to reinforce Murree, and Major Beecher sent every available man from Abbottabad to Murree. However the British troops in Murree had managed to secure the station and beat off the attack before the arrival of reinforcements arrived.

Although the British had managed to repulse the attack on Murree town, two neighboring heights were held by the Dhund tribesmen. The British in Murree were unable to send men to tackle the tribesmen in the hills as these were needed for the defense.. For the whole of 2 September 1857 the heights around Murree were held by the tribesmen. It was not until 3 September with the arrival of reinforcements that the tribesmen were repulsed from the hills.[9]

The reinforcements themselves were almost ambushed.[10] They had to cross difficult country full or morasses and defiles. The tribesmen belonging from various tribes of Murree who had scattered into the forest laid an ambush to cut them off; However, the road on which the trap was laid became impassable from the rains. The force turned off, and not till it had passed the ambush spot.[8]

Murree was garrisoned with extra troops and supplies of food; the British then burnt the rebellious villages, confiscated cattle and men were seized.[9]

But did i say that Pashtuns on both sides of border should distance themselves from each other?.......

Afghan civil war of 90s was imminent in the absence of central authority and in the presence of so many factions of mujahideen

Cultural exchange/relations should be more important instead of interfering in each other countries through proxy wars because no one give up land willingly. Even though Pakistan was safe throughout 80, and 90 but eventually they did come back to bite us.

Name of traitors. :eek: I'm sure these people were compensated by British for their loyalty and their descendants are probably now politicians.

"Makhdoom Shah Mahmud Qureshi Multan"

This name sound familiar.

What do you think would have happened if the Nawab of Bahawalpur joined the war on the side of the rebels as requested in the letter sent to him. Could British rule have possibly been overthrown from Punjab and the Bahawalpur Daudpotra Abbasis been made rulers of an Azad Punjab?

What do you think would have happened if the Nawab of Bahawalpur joined the war on the side of the rebels as requested in the letter sent to him. Could British rule have possibly been overthrown from Punjab and the Bahawalpur Daudpotra Abbasis been made rulers of an Azad Punjab?

Who knows? Many tribes supported British against sikhs and same tribes then joined hands with British to crush rebels.

Who knows? Many tribes supported British against sikhs and same tribes then joined hands with British to crush rebels.

Hmm. Well, even if they had managed to do that it would have only lasted for a short while and the British surely would have regrouped and attacked once more and captured Punjab again due to their superior millitary technology and funds.

Hmm. Well, even if they had managed to do that it would have only lasted for a short while and the British surely would have regrouped and attacked once more and captured Punjab again due to their superior millitary technology and funds.

True.

Back
Top Bottom