What's new

Puducherry home to Pakistani student

sounds like some nalaiq student from patoki village....no one is interested in indian education...pondicherry lol ...look at the name...plus its in tamil nadu that is 3000 kilometers south of kasur,punjab.

Explains your intellect.

Pondi Cherry...what a name!
Ask the French! It's not an Indian name by the way!

For your info, Pondicherry is a Union Territory of India formed out of four enclaves of former French India.

In September 2006, the territory changed its official name from Pondicherry to Puducherry It is also known as "The French Riviera of the East" (La Côte d'Azur de l'Est).

Cheers!

Ask the French! It's not an Indian name by the way!

For your info, Pondicherry is a Union Territory of India formed out of four enclaves of former French India.

In September 2006, the territory changed its official name from Pondicherry to Puducherry It is also known as "The French Riviera of the East" (La Côte d'Azur de l'Est).

Cheers!

So rising and shining indigenous Indian civilization still uses colonial french names?

So rising and shining indigenous Indian civilization still uses colonial french names?

Learn to google mate, its not that hard.

The name, which means "New Town" in Tamil,[1] is Putuccēri or Pāṇṭiccēri in Tamil and Pondichéry in French. In September 2006, the territory changed its official name from Pondicherry (Pāṇṭiccēri) to Puducherry (Putuccēri).[2] It is also known as "The French Riviera of the East" (La Côte d'Azur de l'Est).

Just like Mumbai was anglicized to Bombay, Kolkata to Calcutta, Bengaluru to Banglore, Puducherry *Tamil Name) became Pondicherry for the French. Now they have reverted to the original names:wave:

wkn72.jpg

B. Mohanan Pillai, Director, UNESCO Madanjeet Singh Institute of South Asia Regional Co-operation, and professors at the Pondicherry University interacting with Pakistani student. Photo: T. Singaravelou

Even Lahore sounds like La *****.

I hear it was named after some rams son loh or lav...
Accounts and texts concerning the origins of Lahore have been referred to in various times throughout history. To date, there is no conclusive evidence to establish as to when it was precisely founded or the exact origins of its placename etymology. However, some sources say the name of the city derives from "Loh" or "Lava", the son of Rama in the ancient Hindu scripture Ramayana. The city has been named and referred to by a variety of similar names by other geographers, historians and researchers in their works of the ancient times.
Contents [hide]
1 Mythological references
2 Muhammadan Conquest Era
3 Islamic Caliphate References
4 Others
5 Conclusion
5.1 Notes
[edit]Mythological references

In the Deshwa Bhaga, Lahore is called Lavpor, which at once points to its origin from Lav, the son of Rama, while in the ancient annals of Rajputana the name given is Loh Kot, meaning “the fort of Loh,” which, again, has reference to its mythical founder, Rama’s son. In turn gives its name to the Buddhist nation of Laos.[1]

@Ajtr And rest all International Flags: Do u even have the faintest idea about wat kinda cut throat competition a under grad student faces to enter into these cream colleges ??? The pressure is so paramount that students prefer waiting 3yrs in practice for just an entrence to 4yrs course. This should familiarize you with the ground realities. Even a 10% reduction in seats will kill hundreds of students, quite literally.

For people saying India should do it and quoting verses, I ask what do they have to offer ? I know its a rhetorical question. But why would we do something where the other party just wishes bad things for us. U ppl learn sword making from us and then use the same sword making knowledge to produce swords to cut our child's throat.

There are other people who will now shout (especially the western neighbors)" Cut ur defense spending, trying to make worthless AC, and invest same amount in institutes so that they can have reservation for our students". Well why doon you cut ur resources from all those THOUSANDS of nuke and make a few institutes good enough for national and international levels.

One thing everyone should understand is, it dose not take a world class building to study but a world class student. Remember the Buddhist Proverb When the student is ready, the teacher will appear. Spare some respect to teachers and then see how ur country develops. I won't be shocked to see it surpassing India,China or Russia in the process.

pondicherry is a beautiful place........... leaving aside education i hope he enjoys what pondicherry is very famous for:cheers:

I don't know about the trolls here, but chicks in that school will certainly dig him.
He is gonna have a good time if he is a playa. !!!

Students from Nepal, Bhutan, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Afghanistan and Maldives should be eligible to compete for all kinds of Common Entrance tests conducted by central government of India and study there.

I'll suggest GOI keep aside 5% reservation for pakistanis and 5% for bangladeshis in education and jobs in premier institues like IIT,IIM BARC,DRDO,HAL etc.that way indian defence industry atleast learn from their experience on how to build arms planes on time.Aalso BARC scientists will learn how to make nuke that dont fizzle.

Foreign students can be welcome in private colleges but not in government institutes particularly not in elite institutes like IIT or IIM.

Pondycherry has some good educational universities. But it is a small town and nothing much to do. I like Auroville though.

Would like to respectfully disagree....pondicherry has some of the most beautiful beach resorts and coastlines in India....and some amazing french restaurants ( their seafood is to die for ).....Actually pondy has a huge number of firangs-way above normal for a city with a rather modest local population by Indian standards .There are thousands of them i guess ...mostly French , American and German...The best part is that they seem to have nicely integrated themselves with the local population...you can find them everywhere....driving a bicycle or a scooter, wearing indian clothes like salwars and sarees, chatting away at the local tea shop and of course there's Auroville,which alone is inhabited by more than 2000 foreigners..

foreigner_pondicherry_20100301.jpg

(credts to original photographer)

Pondi29.jpg

(credits to original photographer)

Pondicherry is known for selling the cheapest liquour in India...you can find scores of cute little boutique stores selling alcohol all over town, though i'm not sure these would interest a practising Muslim :azn:

this is the only place in India where if you do not know Hindi, tamil or english you can probably get by with French .... a significant numberof the local population speak fluent french. My Father used to know a couple in Pondy who spoke only french at home even though they were ethnic tamils. When asked why, they said it was good practice and also because it caused in them a feeling of guilty nostalgia :)

Of course there's an Indian part of town, which is like any other Indian city...but the Colonial French part of town is so quaint and pretty that you almost feel sad that the French actually left.....:)

So all in all it's a nice place to visit and a better one to study at....so i wish my Pakistani brother happy exploring and a great time there. If you go to any part of India ( more so in the south ) you'd be treated with the same hospitality and respect that Indians in general are known for ,
because deep down the common man in India knows that we were once the same and he would be desperate to show his hospitality to make up for the mess that is being created between New Delhi and Islamabad. I am sure an Indian would receive the same treatment if he visits Pakistan as well.

p.s. I checked out Indiamike , a forum which helps foreign expatriates find their footing ( literally!!!) in India and found that quite a few people ( mostly from Europe) come to study at Pondicherry university. I am not aware if it is for a full fledged course or for an exchange program.

Military Forum Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom