What's new

Featured Project Azm: Pakistan's Ambitious Quest to Develop 5th Generation Military Technologies.

Yup I don't think they'll put all their eggs in Azm, and they'll need a lower cost backbone fighter for a long time. Wouldn't surprise me if they re-open the JF-17 design, much like what Saab did for the Gripen E/F and what India is doing with the Tejas Mk2.

Problem I see with this approach is the lack of top tier quality ( i.e. F-16 Block 52+ ), PAF will miss out on this. PAF should still pursue US made Product even if in limited quantity. The 18 Block 52+ are PITA to next door bullies plans, and I do not see PAF keeping that conventional edge by closing the doors on US made products ( F-16 Block 72+.)

Multiple projects are part of AZM project.

I think PAF is probably working on medium weight (4.5 gen) and heavy weight (5+ gen) fighter project. Immediate requirement is to have Medium weight (True 4.5 generations) fighter to counter Rafale and SU -30MKI.
5th generation fighter project is still about 10 years away.

Pakistans_indigenous_fifth-generation_fighter_aircraft_completes_initial_conceptual_design_phase.jpg

Please, don't create multiple thread for the subject that already exists and English is official language of Forum having members from all around the world. However, it will be appreciated to share an overview and concluding analysis along with video if you have something new, for the interest of readers.

Regards,

@jupiter2007 people are even doing analysis on your work :partay::partay::partay:

I think PAF is working on 2 fighter projects, medium and heavy weight. JF-17 block 3 will be true 4 generation fighter which will replace remaining F-7s and older mirage in service, Medium weight fighter (4.5+ generation) to replace remaining mirage (rose upgraded) and Heavy weight fight which will be 5+ generations will replace older F-16s.

Last edited:
If mean if they where being logical when pushing for a local powerplant they would start building one now that could be used on future JF-17's and then improved versions in the twin config for the stealth fighter.

If mean if they where being logical when pushing for a local powerplant they would start building one now that could be used on future JF-17's and then improved versions in the twin config for the stealth fighter.
The other way around is plausible too...

The FGFA will be a high-cost, high-complexity platform. It's unlikely the PAF will ever crank up the production of that jet past 8-12 per year. So, the need for a lower cost supplement will always be there, and the most natural successor to current JF-17s would be future JF-17 variants.

I think the next chapter for the JF-17 will be similar to what Saab did with the Gripen E/F and what India is now doing with the Tejas Mk2. You basically re-open/unfreeze the designs, and then enlarge them, add a new type of engine, increase payload and range, and look at other ideas (e.g., low-observable characteristics, etc).

Anyways, if Azm achieves the PAF's ASR, then we're talking about a engine with supercruising capability. Once it clears on Azm, the PAF can re-apply that same engine to a JF-17 NG (that would replace the Block-IIIs, so we're talking about a late model variant).

The other way around is plausible too...

The FGFA will be a high-cost, high-complexity platform. It's unlikely the PAF will ever crank up the production of that jet past 8-12 per year. So, the need for a lower cost supplement will always be there, and the most natural successor to current JF-17s would be future JF-17 variants.

I think the next chapter for the JF-17 will be similar to what Saab did with the Gripen E/F and what India is now doing with the Tejas Mk2. You basically re-open/unfreeze the designs, and then enlarge them, add a new type of engine, increase payload and range, and look at other ideas (e.g., low-observable characteristics, etc).

Anyways, if Azm achieves the PAF's ASR, then we're talking about a engine with supercruising capability. Once it clears on Azm, the PAF can re-apply that same engine to a JF-17 NG (that would replace the Block-IIIs, so we're talking about a late model variant).

100% agree with you. China or Turkey can provide help with design.

Back
Top Bottom