What's new

Project-75 India : After Scorpene data breach debacle ! Who is the front runner ?

MKC

Reaction score
Country
India
Project-75 India : After Scorpene data breach debacle ! Who is the front runner ?
Published October 15, 2016 SOURCE: PRAVIN DHAUSKAR / FOR MY TAKE / IDRW.ORG

Predictably entire global submarine industry is eagerly awaiting realise of a formal request for proposal by Indian defence ministry under Project-75I under which India plans to build Six Next generation conventional submarines for Indian Navy in its own shipyards with technology transfer but recent data breach regarding France’s DCNS Scorpene-class submarine might have further delayed India’s P-75I. Under 2005 contract with DCNS along with India’s Mazagon Dock Limited has been building Six Scorpene-class submarines in India and first of its INS Kalvari already has started sea trials. DCNS were seen has frontrunners to bag orders for 3 more Scorpene submarines which could later also compete for P-75I with Shortfin Barracuda Block 1A but repeated delays and cost escalations along with vital data breach regarding Scorpene class has certainly forced Indian defence ministry to rethink seriously possible proposals by other International suppliers Including from Russia and Germany. Germany’s ThyssenKrupp Marine Systems (TKMS) will bid for Indian P-75I by offering Type 212A or Type 214/Type-218 depending on India’s requirements . Indian Navy from early 80’s have operated four Type209/1500 submarines built by TKMS’s Subsidiary HDW . While German offer clearly looks strong on paper and is based on HDW’s long and formidable expertise on submarine development, which has lead to an impressive list of customers operating Type 212A/Type-214 submarines around the world . The major downside of German submarines is their expensive acquisition cost along with operating cost , another road block could be various export control regulations which come with German weapons . Siemens developed fuel cell-based AIP system which comes with Type Submarines are that they rely on electrochemical generators that use hydrogen-oxygen fuel cells which lead to very high running costs. India will also need to invest in additional facilities to store expensive and vulnerable chemicals used in Siemens AIP Systems and according to many Defence Analysts Siemens AIP Systems require stringent requirements in terms of organisation and training of submarine and support personnel in maintaining them . Russian offer of Amur-class submarines is based on Lada-class submarine developed by Rubin design bureau under Project 677 which Russia claims is 4th Generation non-nuclear submarine which was first convinced in late 80’s to replace 3rd generation Kilo class submarines also used by Indian Navy . Amur Class will see elements of Kalina-class which is a successor to Lada-Class and Amur-1650 currently been offered to India which will be significantly smaller and more compact than the kilo-class boats but will be equipped with high-powered but efficient electric motor, which technology wise is similar to Type Submarines offered by Germans . Russia already has offered to equip vertical launchers to fire India’s Brahmos cruise missiles and lately even Germans have made similar offering but when it comes to technology transfers and integration of Indian developed submarines systems like torpedoes and AIP Systems , Russians have offered that provisions and options in their submarines , which Germans have not. AIP systems developed by Russia and India uses same AIP technology were both rely on generating hydrogen on the submarine from standard diesel fuel which is radically different and more economical than German AIP technology used on Type Submarines on offer to India. Conclusion : Russia offers economical, Indigenisation and better transfer of technology but Lada-Class upon which Amur-1650 will be based upon has not really enjoyed major success back home .technical and operational shortfalls have already lead to work on Kalina-class submarines .German Type Submarines offer comes with steady, reliable and tested technology for India but at Higher price tag . Since P-75I will be India’s last purchase of conventional submarines based on imported technology and next conventional submarines for Indian Navy will be based on Indigenous design using Indigenously developed submarine technologies , P-75I will play a crucial role in development of P-76 and choice made by India under P-75I will lead to adaptation of major design philosophy which will have its influence on Indigenous efforts in near future for which India needs to choose wisely keeping in mind future requirements . Disclaimer : Articles published under ” MY TAKE ” are articles written by Guest Writers and Opinions expressed within this article are the personal opinions of the author. IDRW.ORG is not responsible for the accuracy, completeness, suitability, or validity of any information on this article. All information is provided on an as-is basis. The information, facts or opinions appearing in the article do not reflect the views of IDRW.ORG and IDRW.ORG does not assume any responsibility or liability for the same. article is for information purposes only and not intended to constitute professional advice . Article by PRAVIN DHAUSKAR , cannot be republished Partially or Full without consent from Writer or idrw.org

idrw.org . Read more at India No 1 Defence News Website , Kindly don't paste our work in other websites http://idrw.org/project-75-india-af...-debacle-who-is-the-front-runner/#more-111546 .

============================================
Well, IDRW has forbidden to post article.
Sorry, IDRW not next time...

Indian Navy is going to go the US way and will only be inducting Nuclear submarine from here one. No doubt bout that. Project 75I will be our new SSN with technical help from Russia.

Published October 15, 2016 SOURCE: PRAVIN DHAUSKAR / FOR MY TAKE / IDRW.ORG

Predictably entire global submarine industry is eagerly awaiting realise of a formal request for proposal by Indian defence ministry under Project-75I under which India plans to build Six Next generation conventional submarines for Indian Navy in its own shipyards with technology transfer but recent data breach regarding France’s DCNS Scorpene-class submarine might have further delayed India’s P-75I. Under 2005 contract with DCNS along with India’s Mazagon Dock Limited has been building Six Scorpene-class submarines in India and first of its INS Kalvari already has started sea trials. DCNS were seen has frontrunners to bag orders for 3 more Scorpene submarines which could later also compete for P-75I with Shortfin Barracuda Block 1A but repeated delays and cost escalations along with vital data breach regarding Scorpene class has certainly forced Indian defence ministry to rethink seriously possible proposals by other International suppliers Including from Russia and Germany. Germany’s ThyssenKrupp Marine Systems (TKMS) will bid for Indian P-75I by offering Type 212A or Type 214/Type-218 depending on India’s requirements . Indian Navy from early 80’s have operated four Type209/1500 submarines built by TKMS’s Subsidiary HDW . While German offer clearly looks strong on paper and is based on HDW’s long and formidable expertise on submarine development, which has lead to an impressive list of customers operating Type 212A/Type-214 submarines around the world . The major downside of German submarines is their expensive acquisition cost along with operating cost , another road block could be various export control regulations which come with German weapons . Siemens developed fuel cell-based AIP system which comes with Type Submarines are that they rely on electrochemical generators that use hydrogen-oxygen fuel cells which lead to very high running costs. India will also need to invest in additional facilities to store expensive and vulnerable chemicals used in Siemens AIP Systems and according to many Defence Analysts Siemens AIP Systems require stringent requirements in terms of organisation and training of submarine and support personnel in maintaining them . Russian offer of Amur-class submarines is based on Lada-class submarine developed by Rubin design bureau under Project 677 which Russia claims is 4th Generation non-nuclear submarine which was first convinced in late 80’s to replace 3rd generation Kilo class submarines also used by Indian Navy . Amur Class will see elements of Kalina-class which is a successor to Lada-Class and Amur-1650 currently been offered to India which will be significantly smaller and more compact than the kilo-class boats but will be equipped with high-powered but efficient electric motor, which technology wise is similar to Type Submarines offered by Germans . Russia already has offered to equip vertical launchers to fire India’s Brahmos cruise missiles and lately even Germans have made similar offering but when it comes to technology transfers and integration of Indian developed submarines systems like torpedoes and AIP Systems , Russians have offered that provisions and options in their submarines , which Germans have not. AIP systems developed by Russia and India uses same AIP technology were both rely on generating hydrogen on the submarine from standard diesel fuel which is radically different and more economical than German AIP technology used on Type Submarines on offer to India. Conclusion : Russia offers economical, Indigenisation and better transfer of technology but Lada-Class upon which Amur-1650 will be based upon has not really enjoyed major success back home .technical and operational shortfalls have already lead to work on Kalina-class submarines .German Type Submarines offer comes with steady, reliable and tested technology for India but at Higher price tag . Since P-75I will be India’s last purchase of conventional submarines based on imported technology and next conventional submarines for Indian Navy will be based on Indigenous design using Indigenously developed submarine technologies , P-75I will play a crucial role in development of P-76 and choice made by India under P-75I will lead to adaptation of major design philosophy which will have its influence on Indigenous efforts in near future for which India needs to choose wisely keeping in mind future requirements . Disclaimer : Articles published under ” MY TAKE ” are articles written by Guest Writers and Opinions expressed within this article are the personal opinions of the author. IDRW.ORG is not responsible for the accuracy, completeness, suitability, or validity of any information on this article. All information is provided on an as-is basis. The information, facts or opinions appearing in the article do not reflect the views of IDRW.ORG and IDRW.ORG does not assume any responsibility or liability for the same. article is for information purposes only and not intended to constitute professional advice . Article by PRAVIN DHAUSKAR , cannot be republished Partially or Full without consent from Writer or idrw.org

idrw.org . Read more at India No 1 Defence News Website , Kindly don't paste our work in other websites http://idrw.org/project-75-india-af...-debacle-who-is-the-front-runner/#more-111546 .

============================================
Well, IDRW has forbidden to post article.
Sorry, IDRW not next time...
Sheer nonsense. The Scorpene data breach will have no affect on India's selection whatsoever.

Does the Indian Naval Design Buero not design Conventional Submarines?

Back
Top Bottom