What's new

PROJECT 18:INDIA’S NEXT GENERATION DESTROYER Armed With Railgun

Railgun is unecvesary and will only delay it.
Matching Type -055 specs and guns will be more than enough

Ship should not be delayed. If it is ready, it should be installed otherwise it can be installed later on.

Wow, why is a 4+ month old article being revived now?

That said, the existence of the Next Generation Destroyer (NGD) project is not a secret, it's been known ever since the CWP&A spoke about it. At that time it was estimated to be in the region of 13,000 tons (very similar in displacement to Type-055 and Zumwalt-class). I've read this article months ago and I still don't know where the 9,000 ton figure is coming from or who's the source.

But I'm pretty sure it will be around the 10,000-ton mark approximately, give or take.

I'm expecting an enlarged P-15A/B hull forming the base (much like how the 055 hull is an enlarged 052D hull). The real difference will be in the superstructure. Possibility of an integrated mast is high, but remains to be seen what radars will be used. More than likely they will be DRDO-developed. Considerable strides have been made in land-based APARs and its a matter of time before ship-based versions develop.

The armament, as per many unofficial sources, will have a huge emphasis on land-attack capability which was lacking on Kolkata/Visakhapatnam-classes. That means possibility of 32 dedicated cells for Nirbhay LACMs. On top of at least 16 anti-ship missile cells (which has been standard fit for IN destroyers so far). Total of 48 strike-length cells. Unknown number of SAMs. Minimum of 32 and maximum of 64 I'd say. But the 150-km Barak 8ER should be there.

Either way the first of this class is unlikely to be commissioned before 2028-2030 time period. But very likely they'll begin construction within 2025, as soon as the last of 4 x P-15B DDGs is finished at MDL.

I'd expect a Scramjet Hypersonic cruise missile to be the principle anti-ship armament by that time period.

lets hope this is not another hot air balloon.

Yeah just like all these were hot air balloons...

2696832.jpg

2429717.jpg

2108737.jpg

If they use nuclear propulsion, I guess the tonnage will surely increase to 13k tonnes. I don't think conventional gas turbines can power a rail gun or laser weapons, along with other range of ancillary support systems.

I doubt India will install railguns on warships before US or China do. And if USN and PLAN don't need N propulsion for their 13-14,000-ton warships like 055 and Zumwalt, I don't see why we would.

Integrated Electric Propulsion (IEP/IFEP) will be sufficient. With GTs and diesels.

It should better be nuclear powered to power up the rail gun, or there will be high waiting time for charging up the capacitors.
Would be too expensive and complicated
Even USA and p5 dont plan to introduce non AC nuclear ships

Grow up, world is on the track to destroy themselves.

Investment on humanity could stop dispute & environment of war.

Create more & more, but don't feed humanity. [emoji89]

Wow, why is a 4+ month old article being revived now?

I did that.

Grow up, world is on the track to destroy themselves.

Investment on humanity could stop dispute & environment of war.

I would have given this post a positive rating had I had this right. you have touched the core of all problems and suggested solution as well. I do not know how many of these guys have understood your post.

But I'm pretty sure it will be around the 10,000-ton mark approximately, give or take.

I doubt India will install railguns on warships before US or China do. And if USN and PLAN don't need N propulsion for their 13-14,000-ton warships like 055 and Zumwalt, I don't see why we would.

Integrated Electric Propulsion (IEP/IFEP) will be sufficient. With GTs and diesels.

Info, I have is INS Porbandar will be the bridge between P-15B & NGDs
  • AC will decide size & nos of NGDs
  • Preferably it will be around 11k-12k tons
  • IN looking for Indigenous propulsion solutions and even willing to allow the platform to mature on that.

These are superb specifications. Some new specification have come. It will have 13000 ton displacement. It will have AAD based airdefense system. It will have Laser Gun and Brahmos 2 as offensive weapon. Very impressive.
A target date of 2028 seems too ambitious. They are aiming to have laser CIWS and electromagnetic rail gun on it...and have it all ready to go in just 9 years. Even countries like US and China that have been pouring billions in laser weapons and electromagnetic weapons are still testing such weapons.

A target date of 2028 seems too ambitious. They are aiming to have laser CIWS and electromagnetic rail gun on it...and have it all ready to go in just 9 years. Even countries like US and China that have been pouring billions in laser weapons and electromagnetic weapons are still testing such weapons.

US has already experimented rail gun with a huge power some time ago. China too have tested so as India. But yes, you have a point. In research, you often face hurdles. Some time, requirement changes. So let us see how it turns out to be. Cases are similar for Brahmos MK II and Laser. Out of all 3, Brahmos II is most likely to be ready by then followed by Laser. Electromagnetic gun is is most complex of all.

Wow, so many Indians masturbating to a wet dream! You guys like living in a bollywood fantasy world it seems. First, learn how to build a decent ship, next feed your people. Don't go SUPAPOWA railguns again. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Decent ship like what? Type 52 whose engine failed in Indian ocean and had to towed back to china as the engine can not be restored?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom