What's new

Process of Manufacturing Next Gen Fighter at PAC To Start Soon

I guess for the reason of independence in ownership.

You said next and 2025 in same breath..... :(
Well, i guess a lots of new jets will be inducted in between, today and 2025.
Iam saying that the next acquisition for PAF will be in the 2023- 25 bracket which maybe the j31/ equivalent. This is my analysis and I am happy to be proven wrong. If what I see is true you will only see newer JFTs and possibly older 16s being inducted.
A

This is the policy of PAF...

JF-17 Thunder with upcoming blocks will give us enough range and payload in addition to upgraded subsystems which will fulfill the requirement of a 4.5th generation fighter. Air Chief already disclosed it in 2 interviews to PTV that the Aviation City in Kamra will completely functional in 10 years and we will be able to produce every technology of fighter aircraft's industry in 15-20 years. Currently, the main goal is to train the human resource for next generation fighter program which will be our indigenous.

Pakistan is not going to stop at JF-17 Thunder and this decision is official. We will soon (10 years) start 4.5th and 5th generation indigenous projects. JF-17 was started in early 90's and today after 25 years, it is giving us a sense of security. We can mount any subsystem on it to counter the SU-MKIs and Rafales of enemy. The aviation city is a next step in the future. Just wait for 15-20 years.

I think the development of 5th gen fighter will enhence our capabilities so we should not stop after jf17 we should continue.
Like the reverse engineering of j-31

What is a 4.5 gen plane? how do you think JF17 BLK 3 will turn into one?

@araz @Dazzler you guys might find this interesting. Lets see what our friends have to say on this.

put in an aesa, powerful multimode ew suite, turbofan with higher thrust, swing role, sensor fusion, real time data sharing and network centric, your advanced 4G fighter is ready.

All 4.5 GENERATION planes have 5 core advantages over the current thunder platform

Thunders HAS

1. cheaper to manufacture metal alloy airframe with no composites in build. Makes plane heavey and bigger RCS and weaker and more prone to damage

2. Stable flight control with single axis FBW only . ALL modern jets ae unstable with quariplex or triplex FBW systems

3. Lacks More modern turbo engines which gives supercuise and bigger TWR

4. Lacks HMS/HMD allows engagement at much biggar angles using helmets for auto lock on in WVR

5. Lacks the AESA or even PESA radars you find on most 4th gen fighters

Turning a Thunder into a 4,5 generation fighter can be achieved BUT will require a completed redesign of airframe to incorporate all these features especialy a new engine and to make major change to the stable design to unstable fbw requires massive changes.

Adding upgrading radaeracEW suites cockpit etc.

I think the price per unit would go from $20million to $40 million each .

This in itself will effect numbers you induct BUT you have a far better more potent machine

Iam saying that the next acquisition for PAF will be in the 2023- 25 bracket which maybe the j31/ equivalent. This is my analysis and I am happy to be proven wrong. If what I see is true you will only see newer JFTs and possibly older 16s being inducted.
A
Sorry, i got bit frank there, there was no challenge in my post.
Its clear, there will be face lift JF-17 much before 2023-25.
Regarding 'equivalent' i believe, would be another locally developed master piece.
If PTI refrain from sabotage in Pakistan, than expected timeline of prototype unvieling would be around 2020.

put in an aesa, powerful multimode ew suite, turbofan with higher thrust, swing role, sensor fusion, real time data sharing and network centric, your advanced 4G fighter is ready.
Pakistan is well on the way on almost every thing on the list, but developments regarding engine upgrade are not quite clear yet... i trust PAF would find ingenious solution to that challenge as well...... sooner than later.
In short we are almost there.

3. Lacks More modern turbo engines which gives supercuise and bigger TWR

4. Lacks HMS/HMD allows engagement at much biggar angles using helmets for auto lock on in WVR

5. Lacks the AESA or even PESA radars you find on most 4th gen fighters
Awkward

Nice initiative however 10 years is a bit long time , should be around 5-6 years for first prototype or conceptual concepts and studies and planning

The thunder itself is growing naturally into Block 3 level , and we might even see Block 3.5 or 4

Next phase plane would certainly incorporate latest in technology between now and next 5-10 years

Most likely it is the J-31 project. Since PAC & CAC are already partners in J-17 program.

and no biggie in making aircraft body & other small components, we're good at making those. Engines & avionics, those are the major components, & we're gonna get them imported anyway just as we're doing in the case of J-17. So i won't be surprised if we see J-31 being assembled here within 5-8 years.

All depends on PAF now, IF they approve J-31. At the moment they're in talks with couple of countries over next gen aircraft. But J-31 will likely be approved.

Barring any false reporting and/or misinterpretations, my conjecture is that "next generation fighter" refers to one of the following:
  1. JF-17B (tandem seater)
  2. JF-17 Block III
The former is more likely, given that numerous sources have been reporting of the JF-17B flying around this time of the year. The Block III is, according to recent rumors, still being finalized, with much of its core subsystems still undecided.

The mysterious aircraft being the FC-31 is out of the question, since the v2.0 variant (the fully-fledged variant) has yet to make its maiden flight, much less be inducted into the PAF and produced under license by Pakistan.

Just a more advanced 4th gen plane. Block 3 is set to have an AESA radar among other things, it will clearly be a 4.5th gen fighter.
So are you saying that an AESA is what will make JF-17 a 4.5 gen plane? If that is what you are saying i am sorry but i cannot agree with you. There are a lot of other things, lots of them that will need work to actually take the plane to a 4.5 gen designation. A true 4th gen and one of the better ones in that generation is what i am expecting JFT to be if we are only talking about an AESA as you mentioned.

I have been saying for some time that the later iterations of Thunder are what people are talking about. There can not be another project going on simultaneously with the financial condition of Pakistan being what it is.
I also feel that the next acquisition for PAF will be j31/ equivalent rather than any other twin engined behemoth be it second third or fourth hand. Our finances rather than the need for such a fighter is the reason.
So we have to survive till 2023-25 before we buy the j31/ equivalent. In the interim we may strike it lucky if the Indians refuse to buy the 16s then the route to buy some second hand ones will open up. If not we keep on developing JFT and making it more and more relevant and potent. This remains our destiny and our future. The emphasis will be on better radars and missiles rather than another platform.
People have harped on about a stealth version of jf17 fighter. I think it is all a smoke screen and only those changes which are necessary will be made to keep the costs down.
We are definitely on the up in our aviation industry. However to say that we will make this or that or be a financial partner in XYZ Programme is beyond the scope of reality. However what I dont know and dontunderstand is why we cannot increase our manufacturing capbilities to building the whole airframe. Is it just a matter of time or of time and money or simply the fact that the technical ability to manufacture the rest of the air frame is beyond us.
You are however all free to wonder and pontificate.
A
Cannot find a single point to disagree with or to add to!!
Thanks a lot.

True my friend. However i am not sure if we are getting all that and then some in the Blk-3. As for now there are only a couple of things that are being worked upon. AESA being on of them. I do not see any major structural changes and thus not much additional firepower or range and also not much happening to reduce RCS based on design.

Engine is probable but not a confirmed happening. No TV likely, it is a 50:50 at best. The chances of Super Cruise are even more slim so it will fall short in terms of range, agility and speed as well as on station time with respect ot true 4.5 gen planes. Plus fire power is a source of concern as well.

For EW again, not for sure. Some little upgrades might come but will it be on par with the SPECTRA or the Gripen NG suite or the Euro fighter!!

In short, i feel that Blk-3 will be some excellent 4th gen plane, among the best in that gen but not a true 4.5 gen.
@dsr478

It was 250 in the beginning, it was cut to150 and now 250 again!? I Think it is a typing error, since the following sentence contradicts it: "An official of the Pakistan Air Force said it would soon start the process of manufacturing the next generation fighter aircraft at the Pakistan Aeronautical Complex, Kamra." the same facilities where the JF-17 are made. so to guess it right, the next generation manufacturing will start "soon" after the JF-17 Blk 3 is done with..
Sir,
PAF had an initial requirement of 250 JF-17's, but once sanctions were removed PAF wanted to procure approximately 70 F-16 block 52's. Funds were available till the Earth Quake and Floods, this was the time the orders were cut. Still PAF hoped to procure more F-16 block 15/30 or 40 from the market and upgrade them along with 36 new Block 52's.

Once the chapter of having new Block 52's ended, the interest in older F-16's is also fading away. JF-17 is almost the same price of the old F-16's without the threat of sanctions hence the numbers have been raised once again.

JF-17 Block 3 is still on paper hence what it is capable will only be seen once it is ready.

1) Is feasible (but why reinvent the wheel?) it will be JF-31 based on J-31 v2 and will evolve to v3 and v4 if possible
2) Take Turkey for example, even with its access to the most advanced technologies and no money problems it is still in design stage of a next generation fighter, Pakistan can join in but dreaming about a whole 5th generation fighter, designed and made in Pakistan might need some decades to realize.. the First step in the right direction is point 1) (see above)
Sir,
PAF and now PN both have a requirement to have multi-engine aircraft for deep strike roles. This requirement can be fulfilled by procuring an other 4.5+ /++ solution from China / Russia / Europe / USA. Many threads were posted here as well as on other forums and news papers.

There is an alternate to the above mentioned requirement by not adding an other 4.5+/ ++ fighter aircraft but rather procuring a 5th Gen aircraft. Again there are options available in this regards. PAF can procure the J-31, TFX or KFX directly. USA and Russia would not entertain such a request from PAF for some time and there is no European project regarding 5th Gen aircraft.

Now regarding your comment why reinvent the wheel?
PAF does not have to reinvent any thing only procure different bits and peaces of a puzzle and assemble an entirely new aircraft from scratch within the same costs as required to procure from any country in the world. Take a look at the EFT it is produced all over EUROPE and it has no flaws when it is assembled finally. The same is being done at Airbus and Boeing to limit the costs and to achieve the best available technology.

It is highly likely that PAF would be looking towards a single engine 5th gen aircraft. Now that PAF has got advance engine options this looks very realistic.

Turkey had selected the designs of the TFX but it does not have the relevant expertise to manufacture and assemble. However China has the manufacturing and assembling technologies.

IF PAF along with PAC decided to procure the Turkish design of the single engine TFX and China to provide infrastructure to manufacture and assemble it in Pakistan then this could be produced in less cost and time.

Money factor I guess

Pakistan would love to join as joint venture when China is bearing all cost of planning, R&D and production. All we will do is... Ohhh this is how we do it... ohhh ok this is how it is done... ooohhh okk good that you have taught us in this joint venture and funded the whole project why not give us few squadrons for buy now pay later, cash in 2040

The reality is 5th generation projects are too expensive to participate as joint venture unless the cost is shared by several nations. Pakistan should convince Saudi Arabia and Turkey and start a fresh 5th generation program with technical resources from China and Turkey, funds from Saudis and Made in Pakistan. The only joint venture truly possible for Pakistan is in such a way.

Pakistan should be satisfied with few squadrons from China in coming years and I don't foresee participation in 5th generation program for couple of years

PS: Says the most non technical and non-defence professional person on this forum
Sir,
It is possible that if TFX single engine design that was rejected can be Purchased and then working with China Pakistan could not just help Turkey in this field but also successfully start a new 5th gen program with less cost.

A
Sir you are stating 7-9 years for procuring an aircraft hat is already being tested is not feasible. The cost of this project would have risen exponentially and PAF would not become a 50/50 partner.

In the same amount of time Pakistan could produce an independent program which would be 70-80 % indigenous. More over the cost of this project would also be lower than other available aircraft in the market.

So are you saying that an AESA is what will make JF-17 a 4.5 gen plane? If that is what you are saying i am sorry but i cannot agree with you. There are a lot of other things, lots of them that will need work to actually take the plane to a 4.5 gen designation. A true 4th gen and one of the better ones in that generation is what i am expecting JFT to be if we are only talking about an AESA as you mentioned.

True my friend. However i am not sure if we are getting all that and then some in the Blk-3. As for now there are only a couple of things that are being worked upon. AESA being on of them. I do not see any major structural changes and thus not much additional firepower or range and also not much happening to reduce RCS based on design.

Engine is probable but not a confirmed happening. No TV likely, it is a 50:50 at best. The chances of Super Cruise are even more slim so it will fall short in terms of range, agility and speed as well as on station time with respect ot true 4.5 gen planes. Plus fire power is a source of concern as well.

For EW again, not for sure. Some little upgrades might come but will it be on par with the SPECTRA or the Gripen NG suite or the Euro fighter!!

In short, i feel that Blk-3 will be some excellent 4th gen plane, among the best in that gen but not a true 4.5 gen.
@dsr478
Sir,
You know very well that the JF-17 design is good to a point and without major modifications it can not achieve 4.5++ characteristics.

Realistically JF-17 program would not go beyond block 4 unless and until almost the entire structure is not redesigned some thing that was also done with the F-16 block 52's.

What might be possible till block 4 is to some how develop this aircraft to have CFT and stealth weapons pod capability with good ECM and a better engine. This would no doubt increase its survivability factor which is the only way one can go with the existing design. If this is coupled with some next gen missile and AESA it can still remain quite potent against 5th gen platforms if fielded in numbers.

Cannot find a single point to disagree with or to add to!!
Thanks a lot.

@dsr478

I'm not basing it solely on the whole AESA radar aspect, but I am hopeful that block 3 will be 4.5th gen or close to it. If not, block 4 then.

Sir,
You know very well that the JF-17 design is good to a point and without major modifications it can not achieve 4.5++ characteristics.

Realistically JF-17 program would not go beyond block 4 unless and until almost the entire structure is not redesigned some thing that was also done with the F-16 block 52's.

What might be possible till block 4 is to some how develop this aircraft to have CFT and stealth weapons pod capability with good ECM and a better engine. This would no doubt increase its survivability factor which is the only way one can go with the existing design. If this is coupled with some next gen missile and AESA it can still remain quite potent against 5th gen platforms if fielded in numbers.
Point being?
I mean i cannot understand what was the things in my post that made you say all this? Was i saying any different? :lol:
I am beginning to think that this is sort of a habit. :lol:

Anyway, YES, JF17 was not meant to be a stealth fighter plane as MANY here try to make it. With the planned upgrades this plane will surely be a formidable 4th gen plane. AESA radar, IRST, HMD and HOBS. That still do not makes it a 4++ gen plane and frankly, we DO NOT want JF17 to be in that category either. For us it will remain as an affordable home grown options that we can and will procure in large numbers. There might be some 4.5 gen option that PAF looks at but personally I feel that the next new procurement will be of a fifth gen. (and I feel that it still won’t close the need of 4.5 gen to work alongside the stealth planes). Lesson learned from the JF17 evolution and also the 5th gen procurement may lead to a 4.5 gen option to work alongside our 5th generation plane.

Now lest see if you can try to agree or disagree with this without saying the same thing and just changing the wording. :)

I'm not basing it solely on the whole AESA radar aspect, but I am hopeful that block 3 will be 4.5th gen or close to it. If not, block 4 then.
I understand sir and that i why i asked you WHAT makes you hopeful? What are the things that you think will come in blk-3 making it a 4++ gen plane.
The improvements that are planned and likely will make it much more potent aircraft remaining in the same category.

What is a 4.5 gen plane? how do you think JF17 BLK 3 will turn into one?

So are you saying that an AESA is what will make JF-17 a 4.5 gen plane?
Sir, these were the two questions that I was replying to.

Hence in the last para gave my thoughts that could possibly make it a 4.5 / + gen aircraft with the present structure with addons. There was nothing in your post to disagree with. Just wanted to provide an alternate approach to solving the above mentioned questions and keeping the costs low with minimum improvements.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom