What's new

Prithvi-II missile test-fired

Maarkhoor

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Balasore: India on Tuesday test-fired its indigenously developed Prithvi-II missile, which is capable of carrying 500 kg to 1000 kg of warheads, as part of a user trial by the Army from a test range at Chandipur.

The missile test was carried out from a mobile launcher from launch complex-3 of the Integrated Test Range (ITR) at about 1000 hrs, defence officials said.
With a strike range of 350 km, the surface-to-surface Prithvi-II is capable of carrying 500 kg to 1,000 kg of warheads and is thrusted by liquid propulsion twin engines.

It uses advanced inertial guidance system with manoeuvring trajectory to hit its target.

The trial data of the missile trial conducted by the specially formed Strategic Force Command (SFC) were being analysed, they said.

The missile was randomly chosen from the production stock and the entire launch activities were carried out by the SFC and monitored by the scientists of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) as part of training exercise, a defence scientist said.

The missile trajectory was tracked by DRDO radars, electro-optical tracking systems and telemetry stations located along the coast of Odisha.

The downrange teams on board the ship deployed near the designated impact point in the Bay of Bengal monitored the terminal events and splashdown, they said.

Inducted into India's armed forces in 2003, Prithvi-II, the first missile to be developed by DRDO under India's prestigious IGMDP (Integrated Guided Missile Development Program), is now a proven technology, they said.

Such training launches clearly indicate India's operational readiness to meet any eventuality and also establishes the reliability of this deterrent component of India's Strategic arsenal, they said.

The last user trial of Prithvi-II was successfully conducted on November 26, 2015 from the same test range in Odisha.

Prithvi-II missile test-fired | Zee News

Finally India ''released'' her anger in the form of Missile test ............................... now they will feel better after that F16 Trauma :lol:

Finally India ''released'' her anger in the form of Missile test ............................... now they will feel better after that F16 Trauma :lol:
Yeah like a Panacea call NASR.So whenever India launches an Indigenous Mars mission or puny satellite,its followed by "indigenous" NASR to congratulate the achievement of Pak scientific prowess lol.

Well we've got so many other and cheap ways of doing that e.g. throwing ink,burning effigy, burning flag :lol::lol::lol: etc..

But this was meant for testing the success rate of missile.

But this was meant for testing the success rate of missile.
This missile often used as a target by Indian ABM system and many times went off route causing the test launch of ABM cancel. Needs hours of preparation before the launch and used absolute tech + fuel (hot red fuming nitric acid).

This missile often used as a target by Indian ABM system and many times went off route causing the test launch of ABM cancel.
The missile features measures to deceive anti-ballistic missiles.:whistle::guns::cheesy:

Needs hours of preparation before the launch and used absolute tech + fuel (hot red fuming nitric acid).
Liquid propellants are difficult to handle and require separate storage tanks. They demand a complex engine with pumps and turbocompressors for combustion but they have an advantage of providing a relatively higher thrust than solid propellants.

@MaarKhoor
Thanks for the tag but i dont think it was Prithvi 2 unless they have used a depressed trajectory and did not test for full flight path...

Reason being The NAVAREA warning says something else.. See this
INDIA EAST COAST – BAY OF BENGAL (.) CHARTS 31 INT 71 (.) EXPERIMENTAL FLIGHT TRIAL SCHEDULED FROM ITR ON 16 AND 17 FEB 16 FROM 0230-0630 UTC IN DANGER ZONE BOUNDED BY 21-22.23N 086-55.72E, 21-08.83N 086-53.14E, 20-48.21N 087-14.71E, 19-35.63N 087-53.52E, 20-00.29N 088-28.64E, 20-56.11N, 087-25.93E, 21-21.31N 087-10.84E, 21-22.69N 086-56.38E (.)
2. NO OVER FLIGHT AND SHIPPING PERMITTED IN DANGER ZONE
3. CANCEL THIS MSG 170730 UTC FEB 16

new.jpg

Originally posted by @kurup
Notification of Missile tests | Page 2

So with 212 Kms its most likely Prithvi 1 test by SFC and i said the same.. Prithvi 2 test i wont believe as its a SFC test and they will test a full flight path. In case of Prthvi 2 i am sure they would have put a longer NAVAREA. No one will declare a depressed trajectory test in NAVAREA notifications beforehand and yet endanger a whole geographic region on sea by firing a missile which has longer range and notification area being much lesser..

OTOH with a lower warhead weight Prithvi 1 can reach more than 150 kms 1 tonne configuration or 500 Kg closer to 180-200km range..

upload_2016-2-16_13-49-14.png

Notification of Missile tests | Page 3

@Ankit Kumar Bullseye its a SSM as i told you.. Doubting Prithivi 2 claim of course but is a Prithvi missile no doubt..

PAon Twitter ost: 8159707 said:
@MaarKhoor
Thanks for the tag but i dont think it was Prithvi 2 unless they have used a depressed trajectory and did not test for full flight path...

Reason being The NAVAREA warning says something else.. See this
INDIA EAST COAST – BAY OF BENGAL (.) CHARTS 31 INT 71 (.) EXPERIMENTAL FLIGHT TRIAL SCHEDULED FROM ITR ON 16 AND 17 FEB 16 FROM 0230-0630 UTC IN DANGER ZONE BOUNDED BY 21-22.23N 086-55.72E, 21-08.83N 086-53.14E, 20-48.21N 087-14.71E, 19-35.63N 087-53.52E, 20-00.29N 088-28.64E, 20-56.11N, 087-25.93E, 21-21.31N 087-10.84E, 21-22.69N 086-56.38E (.)
2. NO OVER FLIGHT AND SHIPPING PERMITTED IN DANGER ZONE
3. CANCEL THIS MSG 170730 UTC FEB 16

new.jpg

Originally posted by @kurup
Notification of Missile tests | Page 2

So with 212 Kms its most likely Prithvi 1 test by SFC and i said the same.. Prithvi 2 test i wont believe as its a SFC test and they will test a full flight path. In case of Prthvi 2 i am sure they would have put a longer NAVAREA. No one will declare a depressed trajectory test in NAVAREA notifications beforehand and yet endanger a whole geographic region on sea by firing a missile which has longer range and notification area being much lesser..

OTOH with a lower warhead weight Prithvi 1 can reach more than 150 kms 1 tonne configuration or 500 Kg closer to 180-200km range..

View attachment 294125
Notification of Missile tests | Page 3

@Ankit Kumar Bullseye its a SSM as i told you.. Doubting Prithivi 2 claim of course but is a Prithvi missile no doubt..

Saw this in twitter, and was about to open PDF and ask you about it.

Seems they were testing something new upon the missile.

Saw this in twitter, and was about to open PDF and ask you about it.

Seems they were testing something new upon the missile.
Most of these SFC test are new sub systems test... Its always been like that.. SFC random picking from stock is more of a standard press line to avoid attention to what actually is happening..

Most of these SFC test are new sub systems test... Its always been like that.. SFC random picking from stock is more of a standard press line to avoid attention to whatuponctually is happening..

Well the coming short term we are looking to replace the liquid fuel Prithvi1/2 with Solid fuel Prahaar system. And I get a feeling that this was a test of Prahaar.
I mean it makes more sense to test the improvements upon solid fuel ones than the age old Prithvi 1. However we will never be able to truly know what test it was.

I say prahaar because around 1 year before I was told they were making it more accurate and efficient.

But , a good news is that in this month only we will see another NASR test.
Guess why?
(Hint :- Our 5000+ km missile )

These Prithvis are going to be decommissioned by firing them off one by one. Most likely related to ABM development and testing.
they wont be decommissioned for another 2 decades, as they are refining its accuracy, its been made in to P3, P4 and so on.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom