What's new

Pressure on India to join Shanghai club

Patrician

BANNED
Reaction score

BEIJING: India has come under renewed pressure to join the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) as it tries to create a free trade zone among member countries. India is an observer at the SCO, but has been reluctant to become a full member.

The proposal is already on the agenda of the SCO, and two of its full members - China and Russia - have begun initial discussions on it, sources said.

Chinese officials, in particular, are pushing for the proposal because the uncertain economic conditions in Europe and the US pose serious danger to its exports.

Pressure on India to join Shanghai club - The Times of India

BEIJING: India has come under renewed pressure to join the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) as it tries to create a free trade zone among member countries. India is an observer at the SCO, but has been reluctant to become a full member.

The proposal is already on the agenda of the SCO, and two of its full members - China and Russia - have begun initial discussions on it, sources said.

Chinese officials, in particular, are pushing for the proposal because the uncertain economic conditions in Europe and the US pose serious danger to its exports.

Pressure on India to join Shanghai club - The Times of India

India should stand up for its National Honour and resist any pressures as they infringe upon its INDIAN SOVEREIGNITY,

Show them that India cannot be pushed around, Brothers. :agree:

India should stand up to its National Honour and resist any pressures as they infringe upon its INDIAN SOVEREIGNITY,

Show them that India cannot be pushed around, Brothers.

Cut the emo crap.

India will join it when India feel it's good for the Indian economy. If India feels it is not so good for the economy, India will not join it.

As of now, its not in India's interests.

Any free trade agreement with an export based economy like China will only hurt Indian interests.

However, if the eurozone crisis and US economy worsens and Indian industry pick up some momentum, India could join the SCO to protect its own exports. However, that is unlikely since Indian exports aare not such a huge factor in Indian economy as Chinese exports are in Chinese economy.

Indian economy is mostly internal-consumption oriented. Chinese economy is export oriented.

India could join SCO if and when things change for Indian exports. This looks highly unlikely given the current global economic scenario.

India has a NAM, we wont join SCO or Nato.

Chinese members laughing at India/China free trade possibilities.

I just feel sorry for what Pakistan is going through now, having free trade with China.

Free trade zone between India and China?

The Indians will run a mile before they ever agree to that. :lol:

Of course. Indians obviously do not think like Pakistanis, you know.

Shouting 'Higher than mountains, deeper than oceans' and shooting at our own foot at the same time.

Of course. Indians obviously do not think like Pakistanis, you know.

Shouting 'Higher than mountains, deeper than oceans' and shooting at our own foot at the same time.

The Indian government (UPA) already said they wanted to join the SCO. :azn:

I am assuming that they will do a u-turn now, but who knows with the Congress party?

I just feel sorry for what Pakistan is going through now, having free trade with China.

It's making their industry bleed.

Their Zardari even talked of this to China on a recent visit but then, why would China pay any attention when mere empty words can do the job?

'Oh we love du! We love du! Du our Pakistani brethren'.

Why pay hard cash when words can do the job?

Smart businessmen, the Chinese are, I tell ya.

---------- Post added at 05:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:34 AM ----------

The Indian government (UPA) already said they wanted to join the SCO. :azn:

I am assuming that they will do a u-turn now, but who knows with the Congress party?

The Indian govt. is not a monolith. They have to listen to voies from their own industry too.

It's quite possible that finally they have come to realise what a blunder it would be and a suicide of sorts for the fledgling Indian industry.

That's what the people in the civilian level wants. However, the ones running the country may not agree especially if Pakistan is in it. India will not be happy to see Pakistan getting closer to members of the SCO (especially with Russia) and be left out of it. You will see what I mean in due time.

Chinese members laughing at India/China free trade possibilities.

i feel pain seeing our trade deficit with india is widenning all the time ,it will be a sad day for me just like attending a funeral if our trade with india reached $100 billion next year.

i feel pain seeing our trade deficit with india is widenning all the time ,it will be a sad day for me just like attending a funeral if our trade with india reached $100 billion next year.

Why? Are you an Indian agent in China? :azn:

Manmohan Singh already promised to increase Sino-Indian trade to $100 billion.

Manmohan Singh already promised to increase Sino-Indian trade to $100 billion.

But Manmohan Singh did not say that India will make its industry commit mass suicide like Pakistan is making its industry do.

You talk as if you will get to take home all of $100 bn.

There's our share in that too, baby. :lol:

BTW, Manmohan Singh also said that Mumbai will be Shanghai and we all know ehere that plan stands.

...or is it that our humble MMS has suddenly gained traction among mythical Chinese dragons of late? :lol:

...or is it that our humble MMS has suddenly gained traction among mythical Chinese dragons of late? :lol:

Manmohan Singh is a nice man and good economist, but not a strong leader in my opinion.

I think Narenda Modi would be a thousand times more effective as a leader and an administrator.

Back
Top Bottom