What's new

President calls for promotion of book reading culture

What is the story about?
Pirates of course! A lot of the popular archetypes and stories about pirates come from this book.
Fifteen men on the dead man's chest—
...Yo-ho-ho, and a bottle of rum!
Drink and the devil had done for the rest—
...Yo-ho-ho, and a bottle of rum!
But one man of her crew alive,
What put to sea with seventy-five.

This is something I've long said. To do so we should create more libraries.
  • We should have purpose build libraries.
  • We should have mobile libraries for remote communities.
  • We should have libraries in schools.
  • We should have micro-libraries in masjids.
They should be linked to a central database, borrowing should be linked to ID card, there should be apps to help you borrow, reserve books,

The public library at the bottom of my street contributed to my love of reading and my education immensly as a child. I grew up in a working class household. We were a large family, my father also sent money regularly to Pakistan to support his parents and siblings. We couldn't afford to buy books, but every day we were reading because we'd go to the library every saturday and borrow books.

Pirates of course! A lot of the popular archetypes and stories about pirates come from this book.
I am sold, time to pirate another book.
bookthief.jpg

Deezer has been operating in Pakistan for a quite while and Spotify just entered the Pakistani market in late February of this year. Deezer is so much better simply due to its higher audio quality. Pakistanis including me also use a Pakistani music streaming service called Patari.

Totally agree, deezer hi-fi Sounds really good. I use a Yamaha preamp to stream it on my speakers.

Not sure if you know this or not, but Spotify is also going to be offering a hi-if service soon.

Streaming is good, but the love of my life is my turntable lol

OK, that’s a bit of an exaggeration, but I do love my turntable

This is something I've long said. To do so we should create more libraries.
  • We should have purpose build libraries.
  • We should have mobile libraries for remote communities.
  • We should have libraries in schools.
  • We should have micro-libraries in masjids.
They should be linked to a central database, borrowing should be linked to ID card, there should be apps to help you borrow, reserve books,

The public library at the bottom of my street contributed to my love of reading and my education immensly as a child. I grew up in a working class household. We were a large family, my father also sent money regularly to Pakistan to support his parents and siblings. We couldn't afford to buy books, but every day we were reading because we'd go to the library every saturday and borrow books.
If by the will of God I am able to fulfill my dream of becoming a multimillionaire(in USD) then I will definitely build a world class library in Pakistan.

@Jungibaaz Is there a big difference b/w the different editions of the book? Is it written by Robert Louis Stevenson?

Attachments

• (Saddleback Classics) Robert Louis Stevenson, Carol Hegarty - Treasure Island-Saddleback Educa...pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
  • Robert Louis Stevenson, Wendy R. Katz - Treasure Island-Edinburgh University Press (1998)-comp...pdf
    4.1 MB · Views: 20
Another good book PDFers might find entertaining is World War Z by Max Brooks. It's a great combination of war, pandemic/zombie genre, thriller stories and also geopolitics. The audiobook I had for this is fantastic too.

Just don't read too much into the part where Pakistan and Iran end up nuking each other. :D
@Jungibaaz I found these 2 versions:
That saddleback version looks fine, first page is identical to my book. :tup:

If by the will of God I am able to fulfill my dream of becoming a multimillionaire(in USD) then I will definitely build a world class library in Pakistan.

Bro, don't build one. Lets build a thousand small ones.

What do you need for each one?

A few shelves, a few hundred second hand books, a volunteer who can be paid a nominal amount to record keep keep of the comings and going's of the books, space inside a masjid for a few shelves, probably less than 1 metre squared.

Look into setting up an NGO to do this. We could get people to donate books, donate cash for shelves and provide a monthly sponsorship to cover the cost of maintenance. Each community could have it's own little library.

Back
Top Bottom