What's new

Pranab Mukherjee to Pay State Visit to Bangladesh

Skallagrim

Reaction score
Pranab Mukherjee to Pay State Visit to Bangladesh | news.outlookindia.com

Pranab Mukherjee to Pay State Visit to Bangladesh

NEW DELHI | MAR 01, 2013

Seeking to convey India's commitment to sort out unresolved issues with its eastern neighbour, President Pranab Mukherjee will pay a three-day state visit to Bangladesh from March 3. Foreign Secretary Ranjan Mathai said Mukherjee's visit "is not designed to to engage in political negotiations. What the President will convey to the top Bangladesh leadership the Indian government's commitment to take bilateral relations to a higher level and resolve unresolved issues". "The President's visit will provide an opportunity to take bilateral relations to a new height", he said. Asked if it would be produent for the President to visit Bangladesh at a time when the country has been rocked by waves of violence following the death sentence of a top Jamaat-e-Islami leader there, Mathai said "we have done a great deal of preparation for the visit. We feel it would be appropriate to carry on with the visit". According to the Foreign Secretary, the situation in Dhaka is "calm and we are looking forward to a productive visit". "We are looking at the situation (in Bangladesh) arising out of a legal process as also in the backdrop of an upsurge in Bangladesh", he said. He was apparently referring to to the violence unleashed by activists of Jamaat and its student outfit Islamic Chhatra Shivir across Bangladesh on one hand and the massive protests in Dhaka demanding death penalty for Jamaat leaders who had collaborated with occupation Pakistani troops during Bangladesh liberation war. Mathai said Mukherjee's visit was "reflective of the highest importance attached by India to its relations with Bangladesh". President Mukherjee, who will be accompanied by his wife Suvra Mukherjee, Minister of State for Railways Adhir Ranjan Choudhury and four lawmakers besides senior officials, will have talks with his Bangladesh counterpart Md Zillur Rahman, Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and Leader of the Opposition Khaleda Zia among others during his visit.

With this how many times did he visit over the past 4 years. May be a record in visits by an Indian official to a single country in such a short span of time.

With this how many times did he visit over the past 4 years. May be a record in visits by an Indian official to a single country in such a short span of time.

Well for all intents and purposes he is running your country so you better show him some respect :police:

He coordinates all the mishaps in BD, so has to give frequent visits here :coffee:.

Well for all intents and purposes he is running your country so you better show him some respect :police:

........ruining.

I think he should postpone his visit, bangladeshis have gone mental.. will take some time to calm down.. better go in rainy season... :)

I heard he is getting some award too for his contribution to the liberation war.

Thank you BD.

muaah.

I heard he is getting some award too for his contribution to the liberation war.

Thank you BD.

muaah.

Recent posts by BD members have made me question whether they like the fact that they are independent or not. A confused bunch methinks. :lol:

Recent posts by BD members have made me question whether they like the fact that they are independent or not. A confused bunch methinks. :lol:

Most of them are proud nationalists. Don't get fooled by the jamati raazakar crowd of pdf.

@bd ppl, me coming in march/april, will it be cool then? how about cox bazar...

Make it 2014 march/april, there's no possibility of peace now. Currently all Cox's Bazar tourists are stranded there and govt. is arranging special flights, trains and buses to rescue them from there.

Back
Top Bottom