What's new

Possibility of a nuclear test near Pak India Border

First please tell me, did the yields match the stated targets? Why is there a big gap between what Pakistan scientists are claiming and what the west is saying? Please don't lecture me about tactical nukes, that's not what I was arguing for. your scientists are on record for claiming devices well above 20 kilotons, why is it the tests never reached that yield?

Okay lets put it this way. World has blamed that Pakistan Supplied North Korea with nuke design and If North Korean test yield is 20 kilotons then Pakistan has 20 kilotons first device. If Pakistan don't has high yield then Pakistan never supplied anyone with tech? I said you are a bit wrong and info you posses is much lower because you only scratch the internet and provide what is only available out there. Now after 1998 Pakistan never tested a nuclear device and by that terminology Pakistan cannot create a tactical nuclear war head so either devices tested in 1998 were tactical or Pakistan don't has tactical. Because testing is very important for low threshold blast. Am I correct?

Last edited:
Okay lets put it this way. World has blamed that Pakistan Supplied North Korea with nuke design and If North Korean test yield is 20 kilotons then Pakistan has 20 kilotons first device. If Pakistan don't has high yield then Pakistan never supplied anyone with tech? I said you are a bit wrong and info you posses is much lower because you only scratch the internet and provide what is only available out there. Now after 1998 Pakistan never tested a nuclear device and by that termanology Pakistan cannot create a tactical nuclear war head so either devices tested in 1998 were tactical or Pakistan don't has tactical. Because testing is very important for low threshold blast. Am I correct?
There is no proof North Korea used Pakistani designs for tests. Furthermore, the question is, were they even Pakistani or were they old Chinese designs on the black market? Even if they did use Pakistani designs, you can see that first North Korean tests were failures or "fizzles". The tests they conducted 10 years later, by then they would have discarded Pakistani designs, started bearing fruit. By this point, they were ahead of the Indian weapons - which also were pathetic.

Taken from here (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nuclear_weapons_tests_of_North_Korea)
North Korea's nuclear tests series tests and detonations

(1) 9 October 2006 01:35:27 KST
(+9 hrs)
Punggye-ri Test Site, North Korea
17px-WMA_button2b.png
41.28505°N 129.1084°E 1,340 m (4,400 ft), 310 m (1,020 ft) underground 0.7 - 2 kt
(2) 25 May 2009 00:54:43 KST
(+9 hrs) Punggye-ri Test Site, North Korea
17px-WMA_button2b.png
41.29142°N 129.08167°E 1,340 m (4,400 ft), 490 m (1,610 ft) underground 2 - 5.4 kt
(3) 12 February 201302:57:51 KST
17px-WMA_button2b.png
41.26809°N 129.08076°E 1,340 m (4,400 ft), 1,000 m (3,300 ft) underground 6 - 16 kt
(4) 6 January 2016 01:30:01 PYT
(+8:30 hrs) Punggye-ri Test Site, North Korea
17px-WMA_button2b.png
41.30900°N 129.03399°E
1,340 m

(4,400 ft),

1,000 m

(3,300 ft)

underground
7 - 16.5 kt
(5) 9 September 201600:30:01 PYT
17px-WMA_button2b.png
41.298°N 129.015°E[note 4]
1,340 m

(4,400 ft),

1,000 m

(3,300 ft)

underground
15 - 25 kt
(6) 3 September 201703:30:01.940 PYT
17px-WMA_button2b.png
41.343°N 129.036°E 1,340 m (4,400 ft), 0 m (0 ft) underground
70 - 280 kt

There is no proof North Korea used Pakistani designs for tests. Furthermore, the question is, were they even Pakistani or were they old Chinese designs on the black market? Even if they did use Pakistani designs, you can see that first North Korean tests were failures or "fizzles". The tests they conducted 10 years later, by then they would have discarded Pakistani designs, started bearing fruit. By this point, they were ahead of the Indian weapons - which also were pathetic.

Taken from here (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nuclear_weapons_tests_of_North_Korea)
North Korea's nuclear tests series tests and detonations

(1) 9 October 2006 01:35:27 KST
(+9 hrs)
Punggye-ri Test Site, North Korea
17px-WMA_button2b.png
41.28505°N 129.1084°E 1,340 m (4,400 ft), 310 m (1,020 ft) underground 0.7 - 2 kt
(2) 25 May 2009 00:54:43 KST
17px-WMA_button2b.png
41.29142°N 129.08167°E 1,340 m (4,400 ft), 490 m (1,610 ft) underground 2 - 5.4 kt
(3) 12 February 201302:57:51 KST
17px-WMA_button2b.png
41.26809°N 129.08076°E 1,340 m (4,400 ft), 1,000 m (3,300 ft) underground 6 - 16 kt
(4) 6 January 2016 01:30:01 PYT
17px-WMA_button2b.png
41.30900°N 129.03399°E
1,340 m

(4,400 ft),

1,000 m

(3,300 ft)

underground
7 - 16.5 kt
(5) 9 September 201600:30:01 PYT
17px-WMA_button2b.png
41.298°N 129.015°E[note 4]
1,340 m

(4,400 ft),

1,000 m

(3,300 ft)

underground
15 - 25 kt
(6) 3 September 201703:30:01.940 PYT
17px-WMA_button2b.png
41.343°N 129.036°E 1,340 m (4,400 ft), 0 m (0 ft) underground
70 - 280 kt

So by your analysis can we confirm that North Korean nukes were not Pakistani? I agree they were not.

Now when it comes to north Korea where is USA collecting the DATA from? Right across the border in south Korea and Japan and Taiwan from where they measure seismic activity to estimate the yield, Am I correct? Yes I am.

Where as in Pakistani case where is USA collecting the DATA? USA was not in Afghanistan with meters in 1998 because it was Taliban country then. Am I correct? Yes I am. USA cannot collect DATA from any Place in Iran so only Place USA can be is Rajasthan India and Distance of Chaghi Balochistan is too great for them to collect any accurate data. Secondly the test was conducted in Granite rock bed with "L" style drilling which releases least amount of seismic activity. So test is very difficult to even detect.

Now Back to the question of Bomb designs. Is Pakistan has its own design? or Is Pakistan using Chinese design?

Does it matter? Bomb designs are very simple the bigger problem is to have enough mass to make it critical. In HEU device you test low yield or high yield you just need to test because that will ensure that by increasing nuclear fuel you can achieve high yield. Now coming to India. India has till now only tested plutonium based devices and has never tested and HEU device so Indian nuke design yield will always remain low. Where as Pakistan has multiple type of devices from HEU to PU High to PU low to Low threshold tactical to Implosion fusion fission devices and that can be easily seen from Pakistani Missile designs. They are tailored in the fashion.

What Pakistan tested in 1998 is a secret and will remain so all I can do is give you speculations. Where as India is desperate for a test to make sure it has a verified bomb which India dont has till to date.

for further reference I will advice you to read following data sites to enhance your knowledge anything out of public domain will not be available to you and only thing you can do it attend lectures from Atomic energy commisions retired peoples lectures to help your self. Thank regards.

https://www.atomicheritage.org/
https://www.armscontrol.org/
https://www.nti.org/

The more important thing is Pakistan uses Gas based centrifuges which is P1 and P2. Now no one can give this design to Pakistan as gas centrifuges are not used any where else and are very difficult to design. That is the most difficult part of the job after that give enough enriched material to a kid and he will make a bomb for you. Now do Americans, Chinese or Russians have a smaller bomb design than Pakistan? No they don't Pakistani nuke design is best in the world it has least volume to yield ration and that is what makes it more deadly and damaging. Considering Pakistan has Ababeel missile, Now according to arms treaty between USA and Russia you can load one missile with max 10 reentry devices but if you load Ababeel with Nasr war heads how many can you put in there with 5 kiloton yield? and if those reentry vehicles spread in a circular fashion and do multiple 100 meter altitude explosions you will get a nuclear cluster and just imagine the impact of such attack? it will leave nothing on ground and over a large area due the war head spread.

Please don't ... We cant have sanctions
Hi,

FM Shah Mehmood Qureshi recently pointed out another possible attack from Indian side. I think to deescalate current situation, a nuclear test is needed near Pak India border possibly in a dessert area. Nuclear Power was a great deterrence until India crossed LOC. Now we need to highlight our nuclear power again to strike fear in to the hearts of our enemies. This test should be conducted closer to Pak India border so that Indians should feel the shockwaves or earth quake on their side.

This act although is a great demonstration of power, has it’s own negative side as well. It will draw negative attention from western powers and we may face some sanctions as well.

What you guys think?

Please don't ... We cant have sanctions
No one is going to test a Nuke we don't need to bro Pakistani Nuke are more potent than even USA and Russians because Pakistan has constantly upgraded the Nukes where as other countries were reducing their stockpiles. The Indians cold start doctrine was a blessing in disguise it pushed Pakistan to move towards low threshold which has insure Pakistani warhead design to be better than any country.

What the **** why not test a hydrogen bomb on your dads head you absolute crackpot

@incognito1000 Here is the actual data from 28 to 30 May 1998. Please process it along with test site type and another earth quake that happened with in Afghanistan at the same time of the test.

The May 28 Explosions
The May 28 tests were detected and located by the routine operational algorithms of the PIDC and the USGS. As with the May 11 tests, both organizations refined their locations with additional data. Those locations are listed in Table 1 and are shown on Figure 4 and Figure 6. In 1986 Pakistan was reported to have conducted a "cold" test (no nuclear materials) of a nuclear implosion device in a region in the southwestern part of the county called the Chagai Hills (Hough, 1995), and it was assumed that any nuclear test would be conducted there. The mountainous region shown on the shaded relief map is sometimes referred to as the Chagai Hills, although the location of the May 28 test is more accurately described as being in the Ras Koh Range.
Unlike the Indian test site, there is a level of background seismicity in the Chagai Hills area. Because of the monitoring interest in the area, several of these earthquakes have been studied; two of the earthquakes (December 4, 1997, and January 5, 1998) were relocated by the PIDC using all available teleseismic arrivals and are listed as calibration events (the locations in Figures 4 and 6 are labeled CEB, or "calibration event bulletin"). We used the teleseismic arrivals for the CEB events and the explosions on May 28 and 30 to perform Joint Hypocenter Determinations (JHD) using the algorithm of Dewey (1983). The method simultaneously calculates all the hypocenters relative to a reference event; we chose the December 4, 1997 CEB event as the reference. Three of the events were recorded at the same 22 seismic stations located at teleseismic distances ; the May 30 explosion was recorded at 21 of the 22 stations. These stations provide good azimuthal coverage (Figure 5). The JHD locations (white stars, Figures 4 and 6) clearly indicate that the May 28 and May 30 explosions were located at distinct test sites separated by about 100 km. Figure 6 shows an enlargement of the May 28 test region. The contours on the map are spaced at 500 m, and it is apparent that the JHD location is on the face of a steep mountain. This observation is consistent with statements by Pakistani officials that indicate that the test occurred in a horizontal rather than a vertical shaft. Subsequent satellite photos shown in various press accounts indicate that the tunnel adit may have been on the south side of the hill within the JHD error ellipse. Perhaps the first recognition that the tunnel was on the south side of the hill was by Frank Pabian: he correlated the time of day with the broadcast images of the tunnel to draw the conclusion that the tunnel entrance was located on the southern side of the Koh Kamaran massif. Subsequently, Pabian provided the following information on the geology of the area: "The mountainous area , identified as the Koh Kambaran massif, rises to a maximum elevation of 2700 meters east and north of the Rayo (seasonal) river valley. It consists of intrusive diorites and syenites of the Post-Paleocene and Pre-middle Eocene Ras Koh formation. These have intruded through the older Cretaceous Kuchakki volcanic group. The Kuchakki formation, in turn lies conformably against the younger Paleocene Rakhshani formation (consisting of shales, limestones, sandstones, and volcanic sediments) on the southeast, and faulted against the same Kuchakki formation. The Kuchakki formation that is situated on this faulted side is also intruded by a wedge of ultabasic rocks of the Bunap formation. A number of old chromite mines are located within the Bunap formation. The geology and the associated steep mountainous terrain of the Ras Koh massive are indicative of very hard rock of substantial thickness."

The USGS reported a mb of 4.8 for the May 30 test. The Chagai Hills region appears to have a slight attenuation bias compared to the Indian test site, and a more appropriate formula for the yield relation is:

mb = 4.10 + 0.75 log Y

This gives a seismic yield of approximately 9 kt. Applying the same uncertainty used in the Indian analysis our estimate of the yield of the May 28 explosion is 9-12 kt.

The seismic waveforms for the May 28 explosion appear much more complex than those from the Indian explosion. Even at teleseismic distances the P wave does not appear simple, and many stations have a significant coda which lasts approximately 25 seconds (Figure 7). This complexity may be the result of source multiplicity, although there are several other possible explanations including scattering from the complex topography in the source region. We attempted to use the waveforms from the May 30 explosion (described below) to isolate source multiplicity within the May 28 waveform. We were able to find a second "event" in the coda, but it was delayed by 22 seconds from the first P wave. This would seem to be a highly unlikely multiple explosion scenario, and so the significance of this event was discounted.

Now problem with this whole test was the earth quake in Afghanistan which happened at the same time.

The May 30th test of Pakistan happened at the same time of an earth quake in Afghanistan which made it very difficult for anyone to calculate the test and Thank God secrecy of Pakistani test was kept.

May 1998 Afghanistan earthquake. An earthquake occurred in northern Afghanistan on 30 May 1998, at 06:22 UTC in the Takhar Province with a moment magnitude of 6.5 and a maximum Mercalli intensity of VII (Very strong).
Magnitude: 6.5 Mw
Depth: 30 km (19 mi)
UTC time: 1998-05-30 06:22:28
Local date: May 30, 1998
May 1998 Afghanistan earthquake - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_1998_Afghanistan_earthquake

So by your analysis can we confirm that North Korean nukes were not Pakistani? I agree they were not.
Most likely not, the designs being proliferated by Pakistan on black market were old Chinese designs.
Now when it comes to north Korea where is USA collecting the DATA from? Right across the border in south Korea and Japan and Taiwan from where they measure seismic activity to estimate the yield, Am I correct? Yes I am.

Where as in Pakistani case where is USA collecting the DATA? USA was not in Afghanistan with meters in 1998 because it was Taliban country then. Am I correct? Yes I am. USA cannot collect DATA from any Place in Iran so only Place USA can be is Rajasthan India and Distance of Chaghi Balochistan is too great for them to collect any accurate data.
The US is number one in detecting nuclear tests and their correct yields. They have to be, especially when dealing with enforcing nuclear test treaties with USSR. You are pitching your scientists against theirs. My bet would be on American scientists. Tell me this, is US is incorrect in measuring earthquake magnitude? Do you see people disputing American estimates of earthquake magnitude on new channels?
Secondly the test was conducted in Granite rock bed with "L" style drilling which releases least amount of seismic activity. So test is very difficult to even detect.
Yes, this is precisely why Americans are saying Pakistani weapons and even their test methods are faulty! If you are saying it's difficult to detect for Americans, than opposite is true as well, it's difficult to detect for Pakistan. "L" shaft is the worst way to detect yield and what's even worse is that the Pakistani scientists did multiple tests simultaneously, further diluting yield of each weapon, not a good idea! This is what I meant when I said 1998 tests were rushed, political, and useless. Pakistan should have tested again.
Now Back to the question of Bomb designs. Is Pakistan has its own design? or Is Pakistan using Chinese design?

Does it matter? Bomb designs are very simple the bigger problem is to have enough mass to make it critical. In HEU device you test low yield or high yield you just need to test because that will ensure that by increasing nuclear fuel you can achieve high yield. Now coming to India. India has till now only tested plutonium based devices and has never tested and HEU device so Indian nuke design yield will always remain low. Where as Pakistan has multiple type of devices from HEU to PU High to PU low to Low threshold tactical to Implosion fusion fission devices and that can be easily seen from Pakistani Missile designs. They are tailored in the fashion.
Pakistan has its own designs. Problem is not having nuclear weapons. Everyone knows Pakistan has nuclear weapons. Problem is that your theoretical yield is way off from actual yield. Weapon designs are tested against their theoretical yields. When the yield matches or is close, the military settles on that. weapon design is standardized and it is mass-produced. You cannot have an arsenal of nuclear weapons without having a standardized warhead which you know for certain works and delivers the expected yield with near 100% guarantee. The designs Pakistan tested did not give that certainty, neither did Indian weapons. Problem is that both countries involved in pointless chest-thumping went ahead and standardized their designs on weapons that did not meet expected yields.

Failure is normal, even North Korea and India failed to successfully detonate a true Hydrogen bomb which goes beyond 1 Megaton. Issue with Pakistan is that it needed to test again in 1998-2000 to validate and ensure with 100% certainty that weapons meet expected yields. It didn't do that, which is the crux of my argument, it needs to do it again. You are mistaking me for claiming that Pakistan doesn't have nuclear weapons. I'm simply saying it does, but they are not reliable. Western intelligence analysts agree with me on that.
What Pakistan tested in 1998 is a secret and will remain so all I can do is give you speculations. Where as India is desperate for a test to make sure it has a verified bomb which India dont has till to date.

for further reference I will advice you to read following data sites to enhance your knowledge anything out of public domain will not be available to you and only thing you can do it attend lectures from Atomic energy commisions retired peoples lectures to help your self. Thank regards.

https://www.atomicheritage.org/
https://www.armscontrol.org/
https://www.nti.org/

The more important thing is Pakistan uses Gas based centrifuges which is P1 and P2. Now no one can give this design to Pakistan as gas centrifuges are not used any where else and are very difficult to design. That is the most difficult part of the job after that give enough enriched material to a kid and he will make a bomb for you. Now do Americans, Chinese or Russians have a smaller bomb design than Pakistan? No they don't Pakistani nuke design is best in the world it has least volume to yield ration and that is what makes it more deadly and damaging. Considering Pakistan has Ababeel missile, Now according to arms treaty between USA and Russia you can load one missile with max 10 reentry devices but if you load Ababeel with Nasr war heads how many can you put in there with 5 kiloton yield? and if those reentry vehicles spread in a circular fashion and do multiple 100 meter altitude explosions you will get a nuclear cluster and just imagine the impact of such attack? it will leave nothing on ground and over a large area due the war head spread.
Hiroshima, one of the first nuclear weapons, had a yield bigger than Pakistani tests. You are taking small yields less than 8 kilotons and boasting about that. You are telling me that having multiple warheads with 5 Kt yield is better than having multiple warheads with 100 Kt yields. If you are saying 5 Kt is better than 100 Kt, then why were Pakistani scientists claiming that Pakistan's nuclear tests has yields of 30-40 Kt?

I don't see any point in arguing further on this issue. What I, along with other members, are advocating here is to be like every other normal nuclear power - US, USSR, China, France, UK and even North Korea, India, Israel - and test larger yield warheads and ICBM delivery vehicles. Without these, you cannot be a full-fledged nuclear power. Why is it some members here are calling this "stupid"? Are US, USSR, China, France, UK "stupid" for testing ICBM or thermonuclear weapons? Every other nuclear power is doing this or is at least trying. it's only Pakistan's establishment which is essentially sold out that is not testing it, in order to appease the west. I will say it again, Pakistan's establishment is sold out. If OBL Raid did not open your eyes, nothing will.

The US is number one in detecting nuclear tests and their correct yields. They have to be, especially when dealing with enforcing nuclear test treaties with USSR. You are pitching your scientists against theirs. My bet would be on American scientists. Tell me this, is US is incorrect in measuring earthquake magnitude? Do you see people disputing American estimates of earthquake magnitude on new channels?

How can USA measure Pakistani Nuclear test? because there was and earth quake of Magnitude of 6.5 on the very same day of test just kilometers away from Chaghi in Afghanistan at the same time of test? and US sensors were either in India or in Bahrain very far from test site. Please that is why I said first check and then post.

You are saying that measuring a nuke at the same time of an earth quake with seismic activity that is difficult to do my friend. Now if what Happened in Afghanistan was not an earth quake then Pakistani yield goes to above any recorded nuclear test. So lets consider Afghan event as earth quake and lets agree USA cannot have precise measurements of test due to after shocks.

All Indian Nuclear tests were Non weapons grade Plutonium which means India don't has a tested nuclear war head.

The May 30th test of Pakistan happened at the same time of an earth quake in Afghanistan which made it very difficult for anyone to calculate the test and Thank God secrecy of Pakistani test was kept.

May 1998 Afghanistan earthquake. An earthquake occurred in northern Afghanistan on 30 May 1998, at 06:22 UTC in the Takhar Province with a moment magnitude of 6.5 and a maximum Mercalli intensity of VII (Very strong).
Magnitude: 6.5 Mw
Depth: 30 km (19 mi)
UTC time: 1998-05-30 06:22:28
Local date: May 30, 1998
May 1998 Afghanistan earthquake - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_1998_Afghanistan_earthquake
Chagai-2 test took place at this time 30 May 1998 06:54:57.1 UT. Earthquake happened 30 May 1998, at 06:22 UTC, BEFORE, Chagai-2. This makes it much more difficult for Pakistan to measure yield properly. Furthermore, American seismic estimate is on target if the Pakistani test took place AFTER earthquake. They detect this in real time.

Again, you are trying to discredit US intelligence and seismic monitoring against Pakistani scientists. Please realize this, they have experience in over half-century of nuclear weapons, designs, tests, yields, monitoring, etc. They can sift through what is caused by seismic activity and what is nuclear explosion. They have the technology and expertise. It took Pakistani scientists many decades to build faulty designs because they are far behind western counterparts. You seriously expect me to take Pakistan's word over US? I don't even believe Indian scientists. No one disputes US seismic or nuclear yield analysis.

Last edited:
Chagai-2 test took place at this time 30 May 1998 06:54:57.1 UT. Earthquake happened 30 May 1998, at 06:22 UTC, BEFORE, Chagai-2. This makes it much more difficult for Pakistan to measure yield properly.

Again, you are trying to discredit US intelligence and seismic monitoring against Pakistani scientists. Please realize this, they have experience in over half-century of nuclear weapons, designs, tests, yields, monitoring, etc. They can sift through what is caused by seismic activity and what is nuclear explosion. They have the technology and expertise. It took Pakistani scientists many decades to build faulty designs because they are far behind western counterparts. You seriously expect me to take Pakistan's word over US? I don't even believe Indian scientists. No one disputes US seismic or nuclear yield analysis.

Sorry but USA cannot calculate Pakistani nuclear test from such a distance in the after shocks of Afghan earth quake. Where as Pakistan can more accurately calculate it with on site sensors. Plus the May 30th test created a crater in a granite based test site. So USA info is 80% error.

You are telling me that USA calculated Pakistani Nuclear test in the after shocks of a 30 km deep earth quake which killed 4000 to 4500 people sorry bro USA cannot do that. it is very difficult to isolate the waves

@proud.pakistani

BAD IDEA

Urdu proverb: aqalmand k liye ishara kafi hai

1. Pakistani armed forces are sufficient to keep India at bay, or up to the task.
2. India is not able to isolate Pakistan at the international stage. Pakistan's geopolitical significance is there.
3. Pakistan's restraint, or defensive posture, is helping our cause.

Keep this in mind: saab kuch Allah Almighty key haath mein hai. Study Surah Ar-Rum and Surah Al-Isra for valuable insight.

---

For general knowledge, overview of Pakistani nuclear forces in 2018: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/00963402.2018.1507796

Last edited:
You are mocking the people on this thread who press the need for testing. You consider them to be 15 year old. I simply showed you that your establishment generals- who by the way lost half of your country 1971 with their failed policies, joined a war that cost 70,000 lives & $200+ billions in economic damages, directly or indirectly brought OBL raid, and much more - are the reason why Pakistan is in so much dirt.

The people advocating ICBM & nuclear tests are similar to the people who did so for US, USSR, France, UK, China, India, North Korea, Israel. Why is it when it comes to Pakistan, people who advocate the normal course for a nuclear power are mocked & ridiculed? Why can't Pakistan become a full-fledged nuclear power like all the other nuclear powers? Pakistan has a habit of bending over to appease others, that's why the country doesn't have any respect left. What good are you nuclear weapons when even Afghan & Irani troops come in and kill people or at least threaten to do so.
Dude, take a deep breath, drink a glass of water or maybe your blood pressure medication. Nuclear tests in this geopolitical enviornemt is inviting trouble. Period.

Mere uttering of nuclear weapons was enough for the best of Brahmins and Parsis India has ever produced!!! As for the current lots of uncouth low caste leaders, downing of a couple of their Hindutiva pilots should suffice....

First of all how many types of Nukes Pakistan has please answer me this.
You’re beating the shadows of Hindutuva...

Back
Top Bottom