What's new

Poor Papiya's predatory pranks pauperizes proceedings!

Tiki Tam Tam

<b>MILITARY PROFESSIONALS</b>
Reaction score
Object thrown at HC judges

Politics-driven lawyers from BNP and AL scuffle, trade abuses at Amini's hearing

2011-08-03__ft01.jpg

An opposition lawmaker hurled a small plastic missile at a High Court bench yesterday as the packed courtroom exploded into chaos after the judges observed that Khaleda Zia's recent comments about the constitution are tantamount to sedition, witnesses said.

Some lawyers said they saw Syeda Asifa Ashrafi Papia, a BNP lawmaker, to throw the object when the court plunged into a pandemonium. She denied the allegation.

“I did not throw any object. Nor did I see anything thrown in the courtroom,” Papia, also a lawyer, told The Daily Star.

The judges--AHM Shamsuddin Chowdhury Manik and Gobinda Chandra Tagore--escaped unhurt as the feet-long object first hit a ceiling fan before dropping harmlessly on a courtroom table.

It happened amid a pandemonium caused by pro-BNP-Jamaat lawyers and pro-Awami League lawyers. ........

Object thrown at HC judges

Poor Papiya's predatory pranks pauperizes proceedings!

HC warns Khaleda, Amini for remarks

The High Court yesterday said the recent statements of BNP Chairperson Khaleda Zia and Islami Oikya Jote leader Fazlul Haq Amini about the constitution amount to sedition.

The court also said it will not tolerate any derogatory comments on the constitution and will be compelled to take steps against anybody making such statements.
HC warns Khaleda, Amini for remarks

Jurists shocked

Eminent jurists have expressed concern over the chaos, scuffles and exchange of abuse before a High Court bench yesterday.

The situation arose after a BNP lawmaker, also a lawyer, hurled a plastic missile at the bench after a judge said that Khaleda Zia's recent remarks on the charter is tantamount to sedition.

&#8220;I'm greatly distressed over the unimaginable incident that took place in the High Court today [yesterday],&#8221; said Dr Kamal Hossain.

Such actions are totally unacceptable as it threatens the judges and the lawyers and, indeed, the very existence of the Supreme Court, he told The Daily Star.

Another eminent jurist Dr M Zahir said, &#8220;I'm shocked by the behaviour of my colleagues whatever the reason may be. They have tagged the image of the judiciary to an abysmal depth.&#8221;

Barrister Rokanuddin Mahmud said aggressive action in the courtroom is deplorable.

Lawyers are duty-bound to ensure that there is no chaos in the courtroom over a court order, he added.

He said the court has the jurisdiction to take actions against those responsible for the incident. &#8220;The court could have taken punitive action, but it showed mercy by not doing so..............

Jurists shocked

A very difficult situation has taken over the judicial dispensation!

I do hope that this is not the normal manner in which the judicial process finds expression in Bangaldesh.

It must be one off since it is bizarre, though it has become fashionable ever since the Iraqi journalist did a shoe act!

13 lawyers banned from courts

A High Court bench on Wednesday banned 13 lawyers from entering any court in the country until further order for &#8220;showing disrespect to the HC judges&#8221;.

The order came hours after another HC bench had asked the government not to arrest or harass the lawyers till hearing of their bail petitions due on Thursday.

In a suo moto rule, the bench of Justice AHM Shamsuddin Chowdhury Manik and Justice Gobinda Chandra Tagore also asked the 13 lawyers and Bangladesh Bar Council secretary to explain by August 14 why the lawyers should not be punished for showing disrespect to HC judges.

He judges also asked them to explain why recommendations should not be made for cancelling the lawyers&#8217; enrolment certificates.

The court directed the Supreme Court registrar to communicate with all bars and lower courts across the country to make sure that they do not allow the 13 lawyers enter the courts. ......
'http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesign/latest_news.php?nid=31280

Pretty strict action.

Under the circumstance, apparently a good decision that will send the right message to the lawyers to not make the Courts a circus.

Back
Top Bottom