What's new

POLL- What do Pakistanis on PDF think about the Saudi intervention in Yemen? Pakistani members only.

What role do you believe Pakistan should play in the Saudi intervention in Yemen?

• Total voters
While I'd like to see Pakistan having a say in regional affairs, I'd rather it didn't. Problem is, The system in Pakistan is too weak to absorb the fallout of any conflict it involves in. Naturally you'd piss some people off when you intend to establish peace and those people in response destabilize Pakistan. If Pakistan's system were as strong as say United States', I'd by all means support Pakistan for playing the role of an intermediary.

However, if Pakistan for some reason can't stay neutral in the ongoing Yemen conflict, act intermediary at most. That's as far as Pakistan can go without getting itself in trouble(perhaps).

Bro, do you know how many other nationalities live and work across the Middle East? There are quite a few of them.

I understand that Saudi Arabia is an ally of Pakistan, but we shouldn't interfere militarily. The role of a mediator is more suited for Pakistan. The Saudis are more than capable to take on and eliminate the threat. I think that initially Middle Eastern countries need to unite and form an army to fight the threat.

Pakistan would do well by finishing the scourge of terror back home. Te Pak army has thus far done a marvelous job. We need to get our own security situation to normalcy before joining other adventures. That's my personal opinion.

Not many if any of them are in a position to help the Saudis, I fear if we deny this request the Saudis will ignore our needs in any future mishap or conflict.
kudos

Reading the Title of the thread i would say for some people "begani shaadi me Abdullah dewana".

While on the topic, I too have the opinion that Pakistan should remain as neutral as possible but if it has to choose a side at some point then it would be SA for sure. Saudi Arabian armed forces are not weak and can conduct missions alone as well but has asked other muslim countries to show they stand with them in hard times. If this is the point that unites all muslim powers then it is a great thing that has happening.

Bruce Riedel, Senior Fellow, Center for Middle East Policy and Center for 21st Century Security and Intelligence and Director, Intelligence Project, Foreign Policy program:

Air strikes will not defeat the Houthis, and they are too late to save Aden. Are the Saudis prepared to put boots on the ground? Is Cairo?

Bruce Riedel:
The Saudis have told me the coalition includes Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar, UAE, Egypt, Sudan, Morocco, Jordan and Pakistan. Notably absent is Oman, which has a border with Yemen.

Aircraft from Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar, UAE, Sudan, Morocco and Jordan are part of the air coalition with RSAF. Absent are Pakistan and Egypt so far.

Saudi sources are adamant they don't need foreign ground troops, they can do the ground war alone; 150,000 Army, SANG and MOI troops available they claim. Of course, they don't want to admit Pakistan turned them down two weeks ago.

Operational command of the coalition is in the hands of the Minister of Defense Prince Muhammad bin Salman, 34, the King’s son. He toured the Saudi border provinces over the weekend to prepare the operation.

Among the many odd aspects of this story is the Saudi announcement. Has any country ever announced it is going to war using as its spokesman an ambassador stationed in a foreign country thousands of miles away? Why not the King, Crown Prince or Foreign Minister speaking in Riyadh to the Saudi people? So far they have not spoken.

The Omani absence is also driven by the Sultan’s health question. Although he returned to Muscat on Monday after months in Germany, he has yet to speak to the Omani people. Reports that his health is fully restored and he is cured of cancer are probably wishful thinking.

Pakistan’s absence is also notable. Officially the Pakistani government is “considering” the Saudi appeal for assistance. Like Oman Pakistan shares a border with Iran and is more cautious about how far to jump on the Saudi bandwagon.

Around the halls: The developing situation in Yemen | Brookings Institution

Bruce Riedel, Senior Fellow, Center for Middle East Policy and Center for 21st Century Security and Intelligence and Director, Intelligence Project, Foreign Policy program:

Air strikes will not defeat the Houthis, and they are too late to save Aden. Are the Saudis prepared to put boots on the ground? Is Cairo?

Bruce Riedel:
The Saudis have told me the coalition includes Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar, UAE, Egypt, Sudan, Morocco, Jordan and Pakistan. Notably absent is Oman, which has a border with Yemen.

Aircraft from Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar, UAE, Sudan, Morocco and Jordan are part of the air coalition with RSAF. Absent are Pakistan and Egypt so far.

Saudi sources are adamant they don't need foreign ground troops, they can do the ground war alone; 150,000 Army, SANG and MOI troops available they claim. Of course, they don't want to admit Pakistan turned them down two weeks ago.

Operational command of the coalition is in the hands of the Minister of Defense Prince Muhammad bin Salman, 34, the King’s son. He toured the Saudi border provinces over the weekend to prepare the operation.

Among the many odd aspects of this story is the Saudi announcement. Has any country ever announced it is going to war using as its spokesman an ambassador stationed in a foreign country thousands of miles away? Why not the King, Crown Prince or Foreign Minister speaking in Riyadh to the Saudi people? So far they have not spoken.

The Omani absence is also driven by the Sultan’s health question. Although he returned to Muscat on Monday after months in Germany, he has yet to speak to the Omani people. Reports that his health is fully restored and he is cured of cancer are probably wishful thinking.

Pakistan’s absence is also notable. Officially the Pakistani government is “considering” the Saudi appeal for assistance. Like Oman Pakistan shares a border with Iran and is more cautious about how far to jump on the Saudi bandwagon.

Around the halls: The developing situation in Yemen | Brookings Institution
Thanks for sharing this.

Among the Iranians,I think you are the most informative and genuine poster and reading your posts never leads to dissapointment :D

Pakistan should not get directly involve in this mess, we got our hands full with our own problems, Pak should try to find a way to bring the involved parties to a discussion table and defuse the tension, but one should be realistic it is not an easy task and situation is rapidly changing each day...... i do believe that the last option will be to sit and talk..... by these strikes the ME is sending a clear message that they wont hesitate in using force if their security is threaten......

Last edited:
Why get into another afghan type imbroglio. Haven't we had enough. The Saudi s have 75B $ worth of weaponry. Why don't they use it instead of rotting in the desert.

@fatman17 sahab; having USD 75Billions worth of weaponry is not good enough, one needs to know how to use it. Plus which of the guys in KSA is willing to put his life on the line... when they are used to hiring people for that job.

What I think of Saudi operation in Yemen? I think they did not have much option here. There was no way they would stay out of it. Matter of national interest for them. Any government would have done the same.

Back
Top Bottom