What's new

Poll: how do you store you gun(s) and ammo

jhungary

MILITARY PROFESSIONAL
Reaction score
Country
China
I am doing a poll on firearm safety want to know people habit on firearm storage

Well oiled rifle above the bed in the open, magazine loaded to 20 and unchambered. Pistol in an airlock quick open carry box under the bed with clip loaded to 10/15 and unchambered. Extra clip on the side 10/15.

Well oiled rifle above the bed in the open, magazine loaded to 20 and unchambered. Pistol in an airlock quick open carry box under the bed with clip loaded to 10/15 and unchambered. Extra clip on the side 10/15.

Wow, dude, you in some kind of immediate danger?

And you put extra clip inside your lock box or outside but next to it?

By the way....

I keep my firearms (both long arms and pistol) in the same safe, unchambered, and unloaded ,extra clip on hand nearby night stand next to the keys, extra ammo in box inside the safe and I have a chambered and loaded 9mm inside my lock boxed, under my bed

Here:

Trigger locks

Trigger locks fulfill a single safe gun storage objective: Prevent the gun from firing.

Locking gun cabinet

In an effort to strike a balance between the security offered by a locking gun cabinet and the portability of a gun case, several companies offer portable strong boxes and metallic gun cases. Metal gun cases usually incorporate a reliable locking system or the means to attach heavy padlocks.

Gun Safes

Simply stated, gun safes are the most secure gun storage option available to the average gun owner. Even the basic units have terrific advantages over any of the other gun storage units described so far. A locked safe will definitely prevent a gun from being handled or loaded.

If you intend storing the gun for a long period of time, don't forget to fill the barrel completely with grease. This would prevent the barrel from rusting.

Ammo

Where ammo is concerned, while moisture is bad, most ammo is pretty well sealed against water, especially military ammo (typically sealed at the neck and the primer with various types of lacquer). Heat on the other hand, whether the ammo is sealed good or not, can change the properties of the powder inside the case. This is not good. Therefore try and store it in the coolest area of your house.

Use ammo cans to store it in. These special ammo cans have a seal so that when you latch it, it becomes waterproof. You can store it in the basement. Some types of ammo are already sealed in the containers from the manufacturer. In that case, just stack it up and keep it off the floor.

Hope that helps!

By the way....

I keep my firearms (both long arms and pistol) in the same safe, unchambered, and unloaded ,extra clip on hand nearby night stand next to the keys, extra ammo in box inside the safe and I have a chambered and loaded 9mm inside my lock boxed, under my bed

Rifle is 20/30 with safety on and its extra clip is in the vest in some drawer. In other words not accessible. Pistol extra clip is next to the pistol with safety off in the box.

I am doing a poll on firearm safety want to know people habit on firearm storage

Two Wooden box with dead bolt locks, with lots of silica gel containing rifle ammo/magazine and pistol/shotgun ammo respectively. one loaded magazine and unloaded handgun in the nightstand, one loaded pump action 12G bean bag ammo in the gun locker, rest all firearms unloaded. Action locks running through the all semi auto firearms and bolt stored in the ammo box for all bot action rifles.
I practice lock out tag out, for my all three stores, all keys in one key compartment, which has bio metric lock.

How to protect your weapons from rust during moonsoon? although i send them for cleaning etc..???? im sick of it!

I'll be a bit controversial.

I use petrol to wash clean the firearms off all kinds of dusts and metal left overs. Once you do it, it means you'd have to oil them again. Once clean, i place the parts in sunlight to dry it up, then surgically oil it with high grade machine oil, put some rounds through it and i store it in a small metal armory with hangers in it.

For ammo, i usually oil them slightly and store it either in mags for short term usage,or boxes wrapped with plastic foil, if they are in for storage and long term usage.

Moreover, i keep full mags separate from the firearms [Usually a handgun] for any eventuality.

By the way....

What sort of handgun/guns do you own?

How to protect your weapons from rust during moonsoon? although i send them for cleaning etc..???? im sick of it!

Spruce Wooden box (without any primer coats), and lots of silica gel should solve it, wood and silica will absorb most of the moisture, and then there are those vacuum seal plastic bags...

Apart from that keep some fine grit sandpaper, dremel tool to manage rust, use remington gun oil and coat the whole damn thing, if you have any exposed metal coat it with oil, barrel, dust cover, trigger guard, trigger group, all of it, put a fine layer of grease of bolt for your bolt action. That should help with rusting

Last edited:
AR is in a Pelican case with a 30 round mag in my bedroom, handguns locked and loaded throughout the house and ammo in steel U.S. Army surplus ammo cans with a few mags packed up.

Rifle is 20/30 with safety on and its extra clip is in the vest in some drawer. In other words not accessible. Pistol extra clip is next to the pistol with safety off in the box.

I usually load my rifle with uneven number of round, and i have a all weather lockbox made out of titanium store a loaded but decocked weapon. Hehe

with lots of silica gel containing rifle ammo/magazine and pistol/shotgun ammo respectively.

Believe it or not, one of my friend actually pack all his ammo inside a glad snap lock bag inside a container full of cooking oil......

You may think its crazy but it actually did work by keeping all moisture out.....Abeit hand full of oil when you retrieve those ammo........

What sort of handgun/guns do you own?

I own a USP Tactical and a Ruger Blackhawk .177 in Australia, both for Club sport.

But i own an armory back in the US, i have a Beretta M9, Colt 1911, Colt Python 357, Colt Diamondback .38 (I don't know why i bought this, as this is athe exact same weapon as the Python...) Glock 22 .40, Glock 34 9mm, Browning HP 9mm and a Sig P226 (A gift from blackwater)

For long arms, i have a SPAS12, Winchester 1903, M-500 shotgun, Diemco C8, AR15XR (Or simply know as XR-15) semi, M16A2, H&K G3, H&K MP5A5, and i used to have a colt government M4 Selective fire, but they took it away the day i did not renew my FFL.

...Believe it or not, one of my friend actually pack all his ammo inside a glad snap lock bag inside a container full of cooking oil......

You may think its crazy but it actually did work by keeping all moisture out.....Abeit hand full of oil when you retrieve those ammo........

Yeah, I DO think that's crazy. They make commercial desiccants for keeping moisture out of your stuff. Or you could go with the 'poor man's' desiccant.... rice. Uncooked, of course. Both much more practical. I like surplus U.S. Army ammo cans with an intact o-ring. Can be had for $15 at any gun show or online. Holds about 800 rounds of 5.56 depending on the size can you buy.

http://www.targetsportsusa.com/p-4217-blackhawk-mil-spec-30-caliber-nm19a1-brand-new-ammunition-can.aspx

I usually load my rifle with uneven number of round, and i have a all weather lockbox made out of titanium store a loaded but decocked weapon. Hehe

Believe it or not, one of my friend actually pack all his ammo inside a glad snap lock bag inside a container full of cooking oil......

I own a USP Tactical and a Ruger Blackhawk .177 in Australia, both for Club sport.

But i own an armory back in the US, i have a Beretta M9, Colt 1911, Colt Python 357, Colt Diamondback .38 (I don't know why i bought this, as this is athe exact same weapon as the Python...) Glock 22 .40, Glock 34 9mm, Browning HP 9mm and a Sig P226 (A gift from blackwater)

For long arms, i have a SPAS12, Winchester 1903, M-500 shotgun, Diemco C8, AR15XR (Or simply know as XR-15) semi, M16A2, H&K G3, H&K MP5A5, and i used to have a colt government M4 Selective fire, but they took it away the day i did not renew my FFL.

I'm gonna abduct you and steal your armory :butcher:

I'm gonna abduct you and steal your armory :butcher:

lol, some Iraqi insurgent tried, but they didn't get far......

and i used to have a bigger armory than i got now, but wifey hate guns, that did beg a question why she joined the Military in the first place?? :)

Back
Top Bottom