Jazzbot

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
PTI’s hydel vision

d67a5fa4b1d4dee3693ca5c9e87d73d8.jpg

4564e38c68f121c316d78432778b9992.jpg

There was a vision to provide much of Pakistan’s power needs through myriad such schemes in the canals and mountains, but it fell by the wayside with the arrival of American aid in the form of mega dams. — File photo/AFP

One of the better things that the PTI government in KP has done is to give a new push to microhydel power generation schemes.

Most recently, their attempts to pursue the Gorkin Matiltan hydropower project (84MW) in Swat has met with resistance in the Central Development Working Party, a government department tasked with approving projects whose cost is less than Rs3bn.

Members of the CDWP, which is run by the PML-N federal government, say the project cost is too high, and that the cost of the electricity it will generate is also too high for a hydel project. They compare this project with another one in KP which was completed at slightly below the cost of Gorkin Matiltan.

It is hard to avoid the impression that the resistance to this project is political. If the CDWP members, which is chaired by the deputy chairman of the Planning Commission, Ahsan Iqbal, are serious about comparing the project costs of Gorkin Matiltan with that of Duber Khwar, they should also note that the latter was begun more than a decade ago.

The first electricity ever generated in the territories we now call Pakistan was from a microhydel scheme in Renala Khurd. The next larger power generation was also a microhydel scheme in Malakand valley, built by the British in the 1920s.

There was a vision to provide much of Pakistan’s power needs through myriad such schemes in the canals and mountains, but it fell by the wayside with the arrival of American aid in the form of mega dams. The PTI government has recently given new life to the vision, and is taking concrete steps on the ground to implement it.

In return, the PML-N government, which never raised concerns about the cost of generation from the Nandipur project, is obstructing the scheme, arguing its costs are too high. Again, it is hard not to see this as obstructionist politics standing in the way of reviving a promising vision, and innovative approaches, to solving Pakistan’s power crisis.

Published in Dawn, October 5th, 2014

-----------------------------------------------------

So N-League govt is clearly trying to create hurdles in KP govt's hydel projects. Ahsan Iqbal tries to act like an intellectual in talk shows and lectures others at importance of new small dams, but when it comes to KPK, he is trying to sabotage these projects. Shame on N-league, this democracy won't get derailed by such moves, right?

And this news also confirms the position initiatives KP govt has taken in Hydro Projects.

@Aether @Chak Bamu @Devil Soul @cb4 @SBD-3 @arushbhai @Tameem @Fracker @Sedqal @balixd @Muhammad Omar @Leader @pkuser2k12 @Jzaib @Pakistani shaheens @Bratva @Crypto @Horus @airmarshal @Pakistanisage @AstanoshKhan @Pukhtoon @chauvunist @A.Rafay @Armstrong @HRK @Akheilos @AZADPAKISTAN2009 @Bilal. @Dr. Stranglove @EyanKhan @Fahad Khan 2 @graphican @Khalidr @Luftwaffe @Marshmallow @mr42O @nomi007 @Peaceful Civilian @PWFI @Rashid Mahmood @Rafael @RescueRanger @SHAMK9 @TankMan @Zarvan

No worries we are a rich country, we will keep running our power plants on imported diesel and furnace oil which costs 18 rupees per unit and costs billions in import bill and foreign exchange.

There are not enough details to form a conclusive opinion. But it seems as though PML-N government is doing what PTI has been doing since the last few months.

If so, there is nothing surprising in Tit-for-Tat policy. It is unfortunate, but this is reality. Power politics of confrontation was the style of the '90s and it seems to have come back in force, again. Casualty will be our development and growth just like in the '90s. Jiyalas do not care. It does not matter if they belong to PPP, PTI, or PML-N. They just do not care about Pakistan. They care a great deal about their party and leader, though.

I had the misfortune of hearing a PTI fanatic supporter call the cancellation of Chinese President's visit a good thing. Seemed as though nobody other than IK has the right to make decisions. It was childish and pathetic in the extreme. One can not argue with such people.

To me, it puts a big question mark at 18th Amendment if KP govt is facing hurdles by federal govt.

There are not enough details to form a conclusive opinion. But it seems as though PML-N government is doing what PTI has been doing since the last few months.

If so, there is nothing surprising in Tit-for-Tat policy. It is unfortunate, but this is reality. Power politics of confrontation was the style of the '90s and it seems to have come back in force, again. Casualty will be our development and growth just like in the '90s. Jiyalas do not care. It does not matter if they belong to PPP, PTI, or PML-N. They just do not care about Pakistan. They care a great deal about their party and leader, though.

I had the misfortune of hearing a PTI fanatic supporter call the cancellation of Chinese President's visit a good thing. Seemed as though nobody other than IK has the right to make decisions. It was childish and pathetic in the extreme. One can not argue with such people.

Sorry to pop it for you sir, but one just can't compare some random PTI fanatic supporter with a well educated minister of N-League (Ahsan Iqbal). PTI never went against the projects itself, it criticized either the wrong priority or the high cost of the project.

Besides, everyone today agrees at the importance of these new power projects but the way the article shows the dirty politics of N-League at this key issue is shameful.

Now of-course you have to malign PTI somehow in everything because of your hatred towards their policy making, but at least keep the bar high by doing sensible criticism. PTI was allowed to form govt in KP so that they can be bullied badly. This was also part of London Plan and I am sure that a high caliber intellectual person like you sir, is aware of these basic things.

At one hand this article is not so conclusive to put the blame at N-League, but at the other hand, some thoughts of a random PTI fanatic supporter are sufficient to blame entire PTI. Nice going sir. :tup:

Last edited:
In my opinion, Electricity should be one of the top priorities for Pakistan, so it shouldn't matter if the cost is slightly high. If they could spare money for multiple metro-bus schemes, they should spare money for Electricity generation.

I lived in Pakistan for a long, long time and the worse thing in Pakistan is the electricity loadshedding. I mean, you can tolerate expensive food, expensive fuel, broken roads and clogged gutters but when you enter your home and there's no electricity, that is too much.

If electricity loadshedding was eliminated (or at least decreased):
- Industries and workshops etc will improve because they won't need Generators to run
- Factories may start opening up again ( I know of half a dozen factories that have closed down because of loadshedding)
- People will get employment
-Crime rate will reduce (slightly, because of the jobs, but in the long term even more)
-Less frustration for normal people
-Brain drain will reduce

So many of Pakistan's problems will be solved if they get the electricity in control. But then we have Noora League, wasting money on Metro Buses and laptops then saying that microhydel power plants are too expensive. It's either sheer hypocrisy, political sabotage or both.

To me, it puts a big question mark at 18th Amendment if KP govt is facing hurdles by federal govt.

Sorry to pop it for you sir, but one just can't compare some random PTI fanatic supporter with a well educated minister of N-League (Ahsan Iqbal). PTI never went against the projects itself, it criticized either the wrong priority or the high cost of the project.

Besides, everyone today agrees at the importance of these new power projects but the way the article shows the dirty politics of N-League at this key issue is shameful.

Now of-course you have to malign PTI somehow in everything because of your hatred towards their policy making, but at least keep the bar high by doing sensible criticism. PTI was allowed to form govt in KP so that they can be bullied badly. This was also part of London Plan and I am sure that a high caliber intellectual person like you sir, is aware of these basic things.

At one hand this article is not so conclusive to put the blame at N-League, but at the other hand, some thoughts of a random PTI fanatic supporter are sufficient to blame entire PTI. Nice going sir. :tup:

My problem is that PTI and its supporters have been acting like adolescents while claiming higher moral ground. Its best if you do not tag me in future. I have my POV and I am not going to pull back just because you tag me.

PTI has been instigating for a while now. Why cry foul when PML-N retaliates? If PML-N's action is not right, then how about PTI's policy of confrontation? Is that OK? Were the think-tanks of PTI correct in unleashing this policy? Why complain at the reaction?

PTI has provided our enemies with a lot of fuel. You do not see this, but I do. You do not see how damaging has been the current politics of confrontation, but I do. You see nothing wrong with current trajectory, but I do. You are talking about 18th amendment, while the party of your choice continues to trash our system. What & where are your priorities?

BTW, the person I was talking about works in corporate sector and in a responsible position. He thinks that he is well-educated and also imagines himself to be uncommonly well-informed - a bit like many PTI supporters on PDF.

My problem is that PTI and its supporters have been acting like adolescents while claiming higher moral ground. Its best if you do not tag me in future. I have my POV and I am not going to pull back just because you tag me.

PTI has been instigating for a while now. Why cry foul when PML-N retaliates? If PML-N's action is not right, then how about PTI's policy of confrontation? Is that OK? Were the think-tanks of PTI correct in unleashing this policy? Why complain at the reaction?

PTI has provided our enemies with a lot of fuel. You do not see this, but I do. You do not see how damaging has been the current politics of confrontation, but I do. You see nothing wrong with current trajectory, but I do. You are talking about 18th amendment, while the party of your choice continues to trash our system. What & where are your priorities?

BTW, the person I was talking about works in corporate sector and in a responsible position. He thinks that he is well-educated and also imagines himself to be uncommonly well-informed - a bit like many PTI supporters on PDF.

Everyone has his PoV and its his right, no one can do anything about it. I just expressed mine. Power generation should be spared from these political abusing. PML-N got criticism in power generation from PTI only when Nadipur Project went badly wrong. Otherwise no one from PTI criticized the solar projects N-League is bringing in.

If you want to relate everything with PTI's protests, then its your choice. Nothing can change the fact that these elections were rigged and we have fake people representing a nation of 18 million people. Its such a shame that the system you are worried about can't provide justice to 18 million people by doing strict audit of elections and throwing out corrupt people who rigged the elections and came to power from back doors.

Oh, and before you jump on guns about the term "rigged elections", have a look at: Commission finds irregularities in NA-125 election

This published yesterday, idk if you're aware of it. Just sharing in case you aren't. Point is, the election were massively rigged, every damn constituency that has been opened so far proved this. There is no denying that the current govt has fake mandate. The question is, are we going to man up against this corruption once and for all, or we are just going to save this fake democracy and see Bilawal so called Bhutto becoming next Prime Minister of Pakistan using same rigging once again. For this, you don't have to support PTI / IK, you just have to support audit and justice. The choice is yours.

I rest my case with due respect.

The reason PTI supporters claim higher moral ground is because they believe that they are supporting whats best for the country. I believe that too, PTI is definitely a better option for Pakistan than any of the other parties.

I fail to see what PTI has been instigating to get this kind of retaliation. PTI has been attacking PMLN leaders and their policies, yes, but verbally. That's a democratic right, criticising one's leaders. Looks like PMLN can't defend themselves or attack PTI verbally and their made up stories aren't working, so now they're trying to sabotage PTI's government. That is very, very wrong and it's more dangerous than any hate politics.

PTI has provided our enemies with a lot of fuel.
Unfortunately, that is true. I too believe that PTI could have solved this in a more political, behind the scenes way, without attracting so much attention or directly attacking PMLN. They should have gathered as much support as possible for the next elections, developing KPK, gathering undeniable proof of PMLN's wrongdoing and pushing for electoral reforms. All this would have played out very well in the next elections. But that would mean getting involved in the same kind of dirty politics PMLN is, which I believe PTI didn't want to so that's probably the reason they chose the option of mass protests. (either that or there wouldn't be any electoral reforms and PTI wouldn't achieve much, unless they made a deal with PMLN)

Everyone has his PoV and its his right, no one can do anything about it. I just expressed mine. Power generation should be spared from these political abusing. PML-N got criticism in power generation from PTI only when Nadipur Project went badly wrong. Otherwise no one from PTI criticized the solar projects N-League is bringing in.

If you want to relate everything with PTI's protests, then its your choice. Nothing can change the fact that these elections were rigged and we have fake people representing a nation of 18 million people. Its such a shame that the system you are worried about can't provide justice to 18 million people by doing strict audit of elections and throwing out corrupt people who rigged the elections and came to power from back doors.

Oh, and before you jump on guns about the term "rigged elections", have a look at: Commission finds irregularities in NA-125 election

This published yesterday, idk if you're aware of it. Just sharing in case you aren't.

This is OT, but yeah I am aware of it. Kh. Saad Rafique should resign and re-contest the elections.

2013 elections were better than 2008 elections, which were better than 2002 elections. The system should be cleaned, not trashed.

In any case, I hardly have enough time to engage in debate anymore, since I had to shut my business down because of electricity issues. Now I am working in corporate. So tell about power generation and everything about it.

In the climate of political agitation, hardly anything can go right. I blame the agitators. One can not neatly and conveniently compartmentalize issues like you are doing. There are no angels in our politics.

@TankMan feel free to pick my post apart. I have engaged @Jazzbot , because he is one of the few PTI people who can actually discuss stuff.

Happy postings.

This is OT, but yeah I am aware of it. Kh. Saad Rafique should resign and re-contest the elections.

2013 elections were better than 2008 elections, which were better than 2002 elections. The system should be cleaned, not trashed.

In any case, I hardly have enough time to engage in debate anymore, since I had to shut my business down because of electricity issues. Now I am working in corporate. So tell about power generation and everything about it.

In the climate of political agitation, hardly anything can go right. I blame the agitators. One can not neatly and conveniently compartmentalize issues like you are doing. There are no angels in our politics.

@TankMan feel free to pick my post apart. I have engaged @Jazzbot , because he is one of the few PTI people who can actually discuss stuff.

Happy postings.

@TankMan feel free to pick my post apart. I have engaged Jazzbot , because he is one of the few PTI people who can actually discuss stuff.
If you read my replies, you will find that they actually make a lot of sense and I too can actually discuss stuff but if you don't want to engage in a debate, for whatever reasons, that's fine with me.

You sir are comparing two COMPLETELY different things.

Governance and politics should not be interfering with each other.

What the PTI is doing in D-Chowk is politics and for getting it's due right, that is a recount of the constituencies in which it alleges there is rigging, with sufficient proof.

What the PML has just done as the OP suggests is interference of politics with governance.

When a crapload of money can be spent on Metro, Laptops, Sasti Roti, Yello Cab etc, why not 3 Bn rupees for 84 MW through hydel project?

I am sure you know the fallacy that is Nandipur...which is now a staggering 84 Bn rupees for 420 MW.

Well aren't you the one who actually started it all off by saying that PTI's confrontational protest is somehow linked to this?

What you are saying is like, just because I support PTI in a personal capacity, my moderation should also be affected and the PDF Admins and the whole team should vilify me...only because of my support for PTI.

In reality though, they are 2 different things. Getting my drift?

What the PTI is doing in D-Chowk is politics and for getting it's due right, that is a recount of the constituencies in which it alleges there is rigging, with sufficient proof.
What the PML has just done as the OP suggests is interference of politics with governance.

That's exactly what I meant to say in this post:
I fail to see what PTI has been instigating to get this kind of retaliation. PTI has been attacking PMLN leaders and their policies, yes, but verbally. That's a democratic right, criticising one's leaders. Looks like PMLN can't defend themselves or attack PTI verbally and their made up stories aren't working, so now they're trying to sabotage PTI's government. That is very, very wrong and it's more dangerous than any hate politics.

It just shows the position PMLN is in now, trying to undermine PTI in every way possible because they know they're going down. And all the other corrupt politicians siding with PMLN shows where they stand.

You sir are comparing two COMPLETELY different things.

When a crapload of money can be spent on Metro, Laptops, Sasti Roti, Yello Cab etc, why not 3 Bn rupees for 84 MW through hydel project?

I am sure you know the fallacy that is Nandipur...which is now a staggering 84 Bn rupees for 420 MW.

Well aren't you the one who actually started it all off by saying that PTI's confrontational protest is somehow linked to this?

Essentially you are right. This should not happen.

But when a government feels besieged, particularly in an immature polity like Pakistan's, one can expect such stuff. We should wish to apply Scandanavian standards. But we practically can not do so.

About 'due right' - let us not go there. What PTI has been doing was going to happen in any case - excuses can be made, especially while we have PML-N in government.

I am not defending PML-N. I want Hydel projects to go through. I am, however, pointing out the fact that when PTI chooses to agitate, it can not expect to be left in peace. So, while PTI policy of pursuing agitation politics puts PML-N in a survival mode, such stuff is only logical. Wrong, but logical in Pakistani context. Have you forgotten what happened during the '90s?

Back
Top Bottom