What's new

PML-N finalises short-term plan to end power crisis

ISLAMABAD: The PML-N has hammered out a short-term plan to erase the Rs500 billion circular debt once and for all through treasury bills, an expert of the party involved in finalising the strategy to overcome the crippling power crisis told The News.

The amount will be arranged through T-bills to erase the circular debt and the required fuel will be provided to all power plants so that maximum electricity could be generated. However, the power tariff will increase manifold because of the increase in usage of costly fuel in the power plants but the priority of the government would be to provide electricity to the people even at half the cost of tariff. “We want to ensure the economic wheel of the country moves so that economic activities could be kicked off.”

“We have also decided to tap the offline capacity of the thermal power houses, which is 23 percent (3,500 MW), not being utilised just because of vested interests and there are many projects which are non-operational just because of technical faults,” he said. “Some plants are non-functional because of some peculiar reason as there is no fan on the power plant.” About 2,200 megawatts would be added by the sugar industries through begasse.

“We will focus on electricity pilferage in Gencos, Discos and then on power theft by unscrupulous consumers. In addition, we will plug the stealing of fuel of $300 million per annum on way from Karachi to public sector Gencos.”

“It is also brought to our notice that the system sustains loss of Rs300 billion per annum just because of electricity theft.” Dilating upon the short-term plan, he said the PML-N administration will appoint honest and professional CEOs to all Discos, Gencos and NTDC and to this effect it had finalised the names. “Likewise, in a bid to turn around the Public Sector Enterprises (PSEs), we will appoint honest professionals as heads of these entities.”

The PML-N is also all set to wipe out the CNG industry due to which the UFG has increased to 13-14 percent. “We have analysed that this sector is involved in huge gas theft and the gas being used in CNG sector will be directed to the power and industrial sector.”

“We will ensure the targeted subsidy and lifeline consumers alone will be provided subsidy and we will withdraw subsidy from all other consumers. Currently, all consumers are getting Rs5-6 per unit subsidy on electricity.”

“We have also identified some projects which are matured, but not ready to come on stream because of vested interests. Moreover, inefficient plants will be made operational as soon as possible.”

PML-N finalises short-term plan to end power crisis - thenews.com.pk

L O L and now the real story avoided by our PML-N representative Tiger Awan

ISLAMABAD, May 22: With an ‘amiable’ government in place, Saudi Arabia is expected to extend a bailout package of about $15 billion to Pakistan’s highly indebted energy sector by supplying crude and furnace oil on deferred payment to enable it to resolve the chronic circular debt issue.

A senior government official said the Saudis had been taking reasonable interest in helping out the incoming PML-N government led by Nawaz Sharif.

They had extended a similar special package to Pakistan soon after it went nuclear in 1998 and faced international economic sanctions.

Between 1998 and 2002, Pakistan received $3.5 billion (Rs190 billion at the exchange rate at that time) worth of oil from Saudi Arabia on deferred payment, a major part of which was converted into grant.

According to the official, as soon as the PML-N emerged as the majority party after the May 11 elections, the Saudi ambassador in Islamabad sought a briefing on the country’s oil requirements from the foreign ministry before calling on prime minister-designate Nawaz Sharif in Raiwind, Lahore.

He was immediately provided a position paper, the official said.

Pakistan expects about 100,000 barrels of crude oil and about 15,000 tons of furnace oil per day from Saudi Arabia on deferred payment for three years. The amount involved works out at about $12-15bn.

The facility can be utilised to reduce loadshedding in the short term and provide an opportunity in the medium term to restructure the power sector by minimising subsidies, eliminating circular debt, ensuring recovery from the public sector and reducing system losses to bring it to a self-sustainable level.

“During the package period, the PML-N government can resolve the electricity crisis and develop hydropower projects through a combination of public and private investments and bagasse-based power production by the sugar industry,” he said.

He said the arrangement for oil supplies on deferred payments could be further discussed during Mr Sharif’s first visit to Saudi Arabia soon after assuming the office of prime minister early next month.

Pakistan’s total crude oil import is about 400,000 barrels per day and 30,000 tons of furnace oil. Its total oil import bill stands at about $15bn per annum.

The official said a request for 100,000 barrels of oil and 15,000 tons per day of furnace oil had already been passed on through the Pakistan-Saudi Arabia Joint Ministerial Commission.

A meeting of the commission could be convened soon after the new government assumed charge, an official said.

The Saudi rulers had not taken any interest in the issue earlier ostensibly because of the chill in their relationship with the PPP government.

Large political delegations taken to Saudi Arabia by the PPP government were cold-shouldered, an official said, adding that warming up of diplomatic relations with Iran and the UAE and cancellation of hunting facilities for Saudi royals had also annoyed the kingdom.

The official said the breathing space provided by the likely Saudi package could also be used for renegotiating gas price with Iran for the Iran-Pakistan gas pipeline to bring it down to a sustainable level.

Under the gas sales and purchase price agreement, any party may seek revision of the rates in view of the cost of alternative import options one year ahead of the first gas flows scheduled to take place in December 2014.

The official ruled out any possibility that the Saudi oil package could be used to persuade Pakistan to stay away from the Iranian gas import. He said the project had reached an advanced stage and involved international agreements and, therefore, backtracking was no option, but the development could give leverage to Pakistan to secure lower gas prices.

$15 billion Saudi bailout likely - Dawn.COM News

At what price is this package coming and what has Mr Nawaz agreed to do for it in exchange back to you Tiger Awan?

And on a different Note TTP welcomes Nawaz offer for peace isn't that amazing coincidence.:omghaha:

Bhie bus kal ish plan se b mukar na jana ... phalay he 2 saal wali statements se mukar gaye hain ...

No one is mukaring from any plans, Like NS said SS jazbat main aa ke time frame de detey hain and that i will not give any time frame but we will fix power Crisis as our first priority.

If there is any political party capable of taking Pakistan out of these crisises its PMLN and lucky for you they got majority Govt. we should see changes within 3 months time.

i am not expecting Basha Dam's Construction under PML N as they have history of not making a single DAM and Hydro Project hope for good in future

i have visited Basha Dam site 2 times in 2011 and 2012 nothing started not even a single stone laid even road is not made for the trucks and heavy machinery not even labour's colony it will surely take too much to complete this dam PML N have majority they should convince provinces over Kala Bagh DAM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
who started Gazhi Brotha Dam ????

Decades if there are political headwinds. Basha is also a risky project because the region falls on seismic-fault line. Which makes Basha extremely prone to tremors. Secondly, PPP in its classical fashion has also started to campaign against Basha Dam in Sindh and Now Sindhi Nationalists don't want to see a single Dam major Pakistani rivers.

Just name the Bhasha Dam the "Shaheeda Benazir Bhutto Khandan Zindabad Dam" :azn: pretty sure the Sindhis will change their mind.

If there were smaller more numerous dams on the Indus the Floods of 2010 wouldn't have been so bad. Now all that clean drinkable rainwater is flowing in the Sea.

I hate PMLN. They are cheaters, just won from rigging.
Fake government , fake mandate and Thappa league.

Imran khan is my hero, i wish that i die for his cause !! Inshallah

I'm hearing lots of problems in Punjab and KPK's urban areas. I was wondering if there is load shedding in Karachi ?

another bad loser :D

give credit where its due.

Let's suppose, someone laying the foundation of bullet train after 15 years and Nawaz sharif claiming, see 15 years ago, I promised you bullet train, so here the bullet train :omghaha:

Stop stealing credits of others

Let's suppose, someone laying the foundation of bullet train after 15 years and Nawaz sharif claiming, see 15 years ago, I promised you bullet train, so here the bullet train :omghaha:

Stop stealing credits of others

:cuckoo:

Pmln not only started the project but also secured its funding from different banks, Not Pmln's fault that their govt was overthrown by the establishment

DIL BARA KARO :D

:cuckoo:

Pmln not only started the project but also secured its funding from different banks, Not Pmln's fault that their govt was overthrown by the establishment

DIL BARA KARO :D

Really,,, Jhoot ki bhe had hoti hai weasy :D

No one is mukaring from any plans, Like NS said SS jazbat main aa ke time frame de detey hain and that i will not give any time frame but we will fix power Crisis as our first priority.

If there is any political party capable of taking Pakistan out of these crisises its PMLN and lucky for you they got majority Govt. we should see changes within 3 months time.
That what i call munafiqat ... jab shahbaz sharif yeah elaan kar rahay they ..nawaz sharif sirf 5 feet dur the ..taab correct kiun nhie kya ..election k baad he kiun kya .. jab vote mangnay jatay hain tu jhoot boltay hain ..Ganjays has fooled nation by playing good cop bad cop

bhie pehlay yeh baat bataoi ..jav vote mangnay gaye the loggon k pass tu jhoot kiun bola ...2 saal k waday keya ..ganjay gud cop bad cop khel rahey the ..that's why i hate them ..nawaz sharif was sitting five feets away when Showbaz was lieing to the nation..he didnt corrected it then ..but after winning the election , mukar gaya munafiq

That what i call munafiqat ... jab shahbaz sharif yeah elaan kar rahay they ..nawaz sharif sirf 5 feet dur the ..taab correct kiun nhie kya ..election k baad he kiun kya .. jab vote mangnay jatay hain tu jhoot boltay hain ..Ganjays has fooled nation by playing good cop bad cop

bhie pehlay yeh baat bataoi ..jav vote mangnay gaye the loggon k pass tu jhoot kiun bola ...2 saal k waday keya ..ganjay gud cop bad cop khel rahey the ..that's why i hate them ..nawaz sharif was sitting five feets away when Showbaz was lieing to the nation..he didnt corrected it then ..but after winning the election , mukar gaya munafiq

Oh Bhai kyn apni sehayat kharab ker raha hoo. N.S S.S na kya fool kerna ha is nation ko, yeh nation khud sub sa bari phudu or fool ha jo in logon ka bhakawa main bar bar atta ha.

Back
Top Bottom