What's new

PM shows disappointment over pay raise of Punjab Assembly members, directed to revert summary

They can pass 100 such resolutions but it'll not make a difference till governor sign them and he has not as yet.

Oh good. In this case the PM has the power to stop it through the governor right? Now lets see what he's made of.

Oh good. In this case the PM has the power to stop it through the governor right? Now lets see what he's made of.
Legally, I guess he can't as governor is the representative of state but not government. But he can ask Ch. Sarwar in person not to sign the legislation.

If signature is needed he should delay it till Pakistan's Tax collection becomes at certain level

Fawad takes U-Turn on Punjab MPAs salaries after PM Imran’s tweet

Listen

443936_8084829_Fawad-2_updates.jpg

ISLAMABAD: Federal Minister for Information Fawad Chaudhry has to face embarrassment for initially defending Punjab Assembly’s decision to raise salaries of lawmakers and later criticizing it for not being in line with PTI policy .

Also read: PM Imran ‘extremely disappointed’ over Punjab ministers’ salary raise

The minister apparently changed his stance after Prime Minister Imran Khan said the Punjab Assembly’s decision was not justified, citing country’s economic situation.

Ch Fawad Hussain

✔@fawadchaudhry

https://twitter.com/fawadchaudhry/status/1106105782603522048

Seems Punjab Government and the CM House is in the dark about the PM and the federal Govt Austerity policies otherwise such sham exercise of awarding huge benefits to themselves would not have happened...

11:12 AM - Mar 14, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy

1,649 people are talking about this

The minister while speaking at the a lawyers’ event supported the Punjab Assembly’s decision by arguing that politicians belonging to middle class would not think of contesting elections if salaries are not increased.

Related story: Punjab raises salaries and perks of MPs, ministers

He said he in his views salaries of the lawmakers were low.

But when the prime minister sent out a tweet to criticize the Punjab Assembly’s decision, the minister too thought it appropriate to correct his course.

He said the move was tantamount to ridiculing the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf’s policy..

443936_4874410_tweet5_updates.jpg

But when the prime minister sent out a tweet to criticize the Punjab Assembly’s decision, the minister too thought it appropriate to correct his course. He said the move was tantamount to ridiculing the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf’s policy.

All these MNA's, MPA's & Senators, come from good wealthy backgrounds. They should be thoroughly audited for tax evasion, that will put them in thier place.

Imran should have stopped or condemn this right from the bat
Even before this bill was triggered.
There was no need to play with the sentiments of nation
who were already under burden of High prices of Petrol & Gas
You gave Public low confidence in the government
If that was publicity stunt to equalize the VALUE gov gives towards nation.
i must say "THIS WENT DOWN HILL"

RISE in Prices next to Bill passed by Punjab in salaries will be played rightfully by Opposition parties now. They have got an Extra Bone now.

Last edited:
Should dissolve Punjab assembly and impose governer rule...... This Buzdar is huge failure.

IK is smart he always distances himself from what goes against his Government. But frankly he can't get away with it. He would have known everything beforehand.

A good reason to fire CM punjab..
Yes. I was willing to let him adjust to the position, but it's just been one mistake after another. The problem is that, knowing how the advisers & subordinates etc work in Pakistan, he's succumbing to the sycophancy of those around him. That sycophantic behavior is not going to change, which is why leadership capable of understanding sycophancy, and rejecting advice that leads to actions with bad optics, is necessary.

I personally feel that Buzdar is 'clean' and 'genuine', but he's in the swamp of Pakistani politics and bureaucracy, and it is his 'innocence' and lack of street smarts that are becoming his undoing.

Does the PM have power to revoke such deals?
No. The CM is elected by the Provincial Assembly. The CM can either resign or be voted out under a no confidence motion in the provincial assembly. Given Pakistan's style of politics though, Imran Khan can ask him to resign and Buzdar will most likely comply.

The problem then becomes of the ensuing internal PTI power struggle and who the next candidates will be, and given that the Punjab government is a coalition that includes the PML-Q, it is not going to be pretty.

Fawad takes U-Turn on Punjab MPAs salaries after PM Imran’s tweet
He really needs to consult with the PTI leadership before making statements. There is nothing wrong with saying, "We're still looking into this development and will issue a statement as soon as we have details".

Yes. I was willing to let him adjust to the position, but it's just been one mistake after another. The problem is that, knowing how the advisers & subordinates etc work in Pakistan, he's succumbing to the sycophancy of those around him. That sycophantic behavior is not going to change, which is why leadership capable of understanding sycophancy, and rejecting advice that leads to actions with bad optics, is necessary.

I personally feel that Buzdar is 'clean' and 'genuine', but he's in the swamp of Pakistani politics and bureaucracy, and it is his 'innocence' and lack of street smarts that are becoming his undoing.

No. The CM is elected by the Provincial Assembly. The CM can either resign or be voted out under a no confidence motion in the provincial assembly. Given Pakistan's style of politics though, Imran Khan can ask him to resign and Buzdar will most likely comply.

The problem then becomes of the ensuing internal PTI power struggle and who the next candidates will be, and given that the Punjab government is a coalition that includes the PML-Q, it is not going to be pretty.

He really needs to consult with the PTI leadership before making statements. There is nothing wrong with saying, "We're still looking into this development and will issue a statement as soon as we have details".

Another option is for Buzdar to apologize and backtrack on this promise.

Another option is for Buzdar to apologize and backtrack on this promise.
Yes, but the problem is that he keeps making these mistakes, and he can only apologize so much. His controversies are distracting from other pressing issues, and honestly I'm concerned about his effectiveness as CM if he can't even understand the implications of some of the more obvious mistakes he has made.

I mean, how many times did we hear Imran Khan talk about reducing protocol? How many times have we heard Imran Khan talk about austerity and cutting government expenses?

While I agree that the salaries are low, this is a really bad time to be hiking any MPA/MNA salaries given that Imran Khan is out there trying to get funding from various countries to address the balance of payments crisis in Pakistan and asking people to pay taxes. How are you going to convince people to pay taxes when they see the existing taxpayer money going towards increased perks and privileges for politicians? The optics are horrible

Yes, but the problem is that he keeps making these mistakes, and he can only apologize so much. His controversies are distracting from other pressing issues, and honestly I'm concerned about his effectiveness as CM if he can't even understand the implications of some of the more obvious mistakes he has made.

I mean, how many times did we hear Imran Khan talk about reducing protocol? How many times have we heard Imran Khan talk about austerity and cutting government expenses?

While I agree that the salaries are low, this is a really bad time to be hiking any MPA/MNA salaries given that Imran Khan is out there trying to get funding from various countries to address the balance of payments crisis in Pakistan and asking people to pay taxes. How are you going to convince people to pay taxes when they see the existing taxpayer money going towards increased perks and privileges for politicians? The optics are horrible

That's true. Austerity is like the big elephant in the room as far as PTI and IK is concerned. When one of his own people diverts from this goal it is questionable.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom