What's new

PM orders to reopen Pak-Afghan border

Or maybe the Americans had a word in someone's ear. We have no clear policy on any of this which is why we display bizarre behaviour that makes little sense. We keep closing this border and then a few weeks later open it again and the same cycle is repeated with every tragedy. This was the wrong decision and I think the lead story in the Dawn was something to the effect that we are opening the border as a gesture of goodwill to the Afghanis. That was NS statement. LOL! What goodwill? The Afghans have shown zero goodwill. This decision could be interpreted as either foolish or cowardice. It makes no other sense to me. Nothing on the ground has changed in Afghanistan.
Army and political leadership both are confused ..They handed over list to afghanistan what happened to them ? I think ISPR should also made the statement if they are not agree ..they are agree but does not want to take the burden..When they can closed it how come it is opened without there consent..
Or how come the security of afghanistan is necessary for peace in pakistan...What a foolish statement each time we hear..Why not it is same for Iran and other neighbors..This is another way to shift focus away from incompetency..How come other neighbors prevent there people from fallout in Afghanistan..While it is only pakistan seeing all this..

Army and political leadership both are confused ..They handed over list to afghanistan what happened to them ? I think ISPR should also made the statement if they are not agree ..they are agree but does not want to take the burden..When they can closed it how come it is opened without there consent..
Or how come the security of afghanistan is necessary for peace in pakistan...What a foolish statement each time we hear..Why not it is same for Iran and other neighbors..This is another way to shift focus away from incompetency..

This is why developing systems and rule of law are so important for nation-building.

Indeed...

... and such nation-building that is so direly needed cannot happen if the Army continues to act beyond its legal authority, while the politicians are in it for themselves and not the nation.

What a pity!

(Given this picture, can one trust a nation such as this to be responsible if it ever comes to making a nuclear decision?)

... and such nation-building that is so direly needed cannot happen if the Army continues to act beyond its legal authority, while the politicians are in it for themselves and not the nation.

What a pity!

(Given this picture, can one trust a nation such as this to be responsible if it ever comes to making a nuclear decision?)

You are right and it is indeed a shame that our Armed Forces have to be called upon to deal with matters that do not directly pertain to their given Constitutional role. However, the flip side is that none of our democratic govt have been capable enough to run the country on their own. I am not defending military rule here because that has caused its own set of problems, but the Pakistani people do not trust the political class in times of crisis. Politicians have only themselves to blame.

What a pity!

There is trust in that case since absolute authority lies with Army , they do act it and the world knows it..Had it been politicians with the given class it would have been impossible..Unfortunately the world takes them more serious then the political class with a reasons to it...
Further if civilian government doesn't act somebody will act be it legal then or illegal..

You are right and it is indeed a shame that our Armed Forces have to be called upon to deal with matters that do not directly pertain to their given Constitutional role. However, the flip side is that none of our democratic govt have been capable enough to run the country on their own. I am not defending military rule here because that has caused its own set of problems, but the Pakistani people do not trust the political class in times of crisis. Politicians have only themselves to blame.

Regardless of how Pakistan got into this mess, how and if it can get out of it is the more important question. Those who are trusted are illegal, and those who have the legal power cannot be trusted.

For example, just who is responsible for border crossings?

What a pity!

Nawaz is utterly incompetent in warfare and anti-terrorism. Just because he's elected doesn't mean that he can destroy Pakistan with whatever foolish decision he makes - Bhutto did enough damage when he had a free hand! He's also a foreign minister who doesn't know jack about diplomacy, he's just a politician and a businessman, not a diplomat!

In USA, a president as stupid as Nawaz would have been impeached long time ago and banned for life.

Yes but if it does go wrong. No problem. Just a few Nagasakis and Hiroshimas did not stop USA to mature to the 'land of free'. Ditto Pakistan.

The Pak - Afghan issue including that of the border has become like a married couple who cannot live with each other or without each other !
The issue is fundamental and profound. As long as that is not resolved this conflicted relationship will continue and has potential to break Pakistan apart. And this decision is bigger then NS. I am not fan of him but I know when to credit him or blame him. NS could not have made such a decision without the entire military establishment being on board. Meaning he just was the voicebox of the establishments decision.

Yes but if it does go wrong. No problem. Just a few Nagasakis and Hiroshimas did not stop USA to mature to the 'land of free'. Ditto Pakistan.

The issue is fundamental and profound. As long as that is not resolved this conflicted relationship will continue and has potential to break Pakistan apart. And this decision is bigger then NS. I am not fan of him but I know when to credit him or blame him. NS could not have made such a decision without the entire military establishment being on board. Meaning he just was the voicebox of the establishments decision.
Don't worry Arkadashim!!! Breaking Pak or Turkey apart are matters of the past. They have been trying their best - no let-ups on their parts - but, that critical juncture has passed....

And Ofcourse Military was taken on-board with Opening the Afgan-Pak border! Nawaz is feeling him being irrelevant & just trying to show his importance...

WTO were about to start an enquiry into the closure after Afghanistan complained that Pakistan was breaking WTO rules. Consequences for Pakistan would have been severe offering other countries the option of stopping all Pakistani exports.
In effect, the more extreme repercussion would bring Pakistans economy to a grinding screeching halt.
Nawaz just pre-empted a WTO ruling. It does however put Pakistan on WTO watch list as a rule transgressor.
One of the most retarded posts ever but par for the course for this specimen.
If Pakistan declares that the closure is necessary for security reasons , no one can do anything.
India also blocked Nepal for a while using various means . Nothing hapnd.
Use some brains before posting . U make all Indians look bad.

Back
Top Bottom