What's new

PM orders completion of Lahore-Karachi Motorway by 2015

Edevelop

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
BEIJING, Jul 5 (APP): Prime Minister Muhammad Nawaz Sharif Friday ordered the completion of Lahore-Karachi Motorway within two and half years after finalizing the feasibility study of the project in three months. Talking to Pakistan Television here after an MoU signing ceremony between Pakistan and China for cooperation to construct Lahore-Karachi Motorway, the Prime Minister said the government was committed to provide comfortable and affordable transport facilities to its citizens within minimum possible time. Minister for Planning and Development Ahsan Iqbal and Chairman China State Construction Engineering Corporation Yi Jun signed the MoU from both sides, respectively.
While stressing for expeditious project completion, Nawaz, however, was categorical to state that the government will not compromise on quality of the work.
He said the signing of MoU was a remarkable step and it was laudable that the government has been making landmark achievements in its initial days.
He said work on the mega project would be launched shortly after completion of the project’s feasibility study which he hoped would benefit the people of all four provinces as well as Gilgit-Baltistan and Azad Jammu and Kashmir.
“It is a historic day. Once this project completes, the travel time would reduce remarkably that would also ultimately promote business activities in the region,” Nawaz Sharif said.
He also lauded the MoU signing for infrastructure development in Gwadar and said the planned Lahore-Karachi Motorway would also touch another highway linking Kashgar to Karachi via Gwadar.
Earlier, in a meeting with Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, Chairman CSCEC Yi Jun said his company was interested in executing various development projects in Pakistan including the construction of highways and launching of bullet trains.
He also offered his company’s services for the construction of already planned bullet train project between Peshawar and Karachi.
The Prime Minister lauded the offer and invited CSCEC chairman to visit Pakistan in August this year for negotiations in this regard.
Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif said resolution of energy crisis, infrastructure development and comfortable and affordable transport facilities were among his government’s foremost priorities.

Associated Press Of Pakistan ( Pakistan's Premier NEWS Agency ) - PM orders completion of Lahore-Karachi Motorway by 2015

Amazing news. Just two days ago, I was on google earth looking at the super highway. And I was saying to myself that it would be my dream to see a motorway being built there and here we are, two days later, with good news

I really wonder what is the vision of this man? Why he is so obsessed with roads? Is there something to do with huge commissions? Lahore-Karachi motorway would cost not less then PKR 600 billions. Our economy is in so much bad shape. Just couple of days ago you got a bale-out package from IMF. What are the priorities? Distance of Lahore and Karachi is approx. 1250 kms. You already have got a rail and road link. The road from Lahore-Karachi is quite good (as Daewoo is operating bus service on the same road, and they do so only if the road meet a certain standard). Why dont Mr. Nawaz spent some money on existing rail link? Why dont he invest on double railway line? Why not on investing in electric engines to replace diesel ones?

Cost wise, maintenance wise and long term handling of cargo and transportation Railways are 10 times better then roads. God knows when we will get a sincere and clean leader. A visionary who could plan for atleast 50 years ahead.

I really wonder what is the vision of this man? Why he is so obsessed with roads? Is there something to do with huge commissions? Lahore-Karachi motorway would cost not less then PKR 600 billions. Our economy is in so much bad shape. Just couple of days ago you got a bale-out package from IMF. What are the priorities? Distance of Lahore and Karachi is approx. 1250 kms. You already have got a rail and road link. The road from Lahore-Karachi is quite good (as Daewoo is operating bus service on the same road, and they do so only if the road meet a certain standard). Why dont Mr. Nawaz spent some money on existing rail link? Why dont he invest on double railway line? Why not on investing in electric engines to replace diesel ones?

Cost wise, maintenance wise and long term handling of cargo and transportation Railways are 10 times better then roads. God knows when we will get a sincere and clean leader. A visionary who could plan for atleast 50 years ahead.

Do you even know how economy works? A motorway from lahore to karachi would create thousands of new jobs. Do you know how US got out of depression? The US govt started investing in improving its infrastructure which created jobs thus reducing depression. Contructing a motorway from lahore to karachi would fuel hundreds of industries and factories and create thousands of permanent and contract based jobs.

Do you even know how economy works? A motorway from lahore to karachi would create thousands of new jobs. Do you know how US got out of depression? The US govt started investing in improving its infrastructure which created jobs thus reducing depression. Contructing a motorway from lahore to karachi would fuel hundreds of industries and factories and create thousands of permanent and contract based jobs.

Have you read my post before commenting?
I know better then you about economic stimulus. USA and UK all build their economies around railway. I have questioned the feasibility of motorway over railway. And i stand by my statement that Railway is 10 times better then roads. Just by building a motorway with high interest loan would'nt bring development, its all done with plannig of building industrial states, agriculture states and newer cities. And all these can also be build along railways also.

Yup, one such huge project was the Hoover dam. It created thousands of jobs, in labor and obviously technical. And of course the country is still reaping the benefits of it terms of energy and........jobs.

Not only US, but even Japan is known to be an "over spender" on infrastructure. A famous Joke about Japan is that they have more bridges and roads than the cars. Public infrastructure is essential for growth. I am currently doing my research thesis on transportation and economic development. Researchers have identified at least 19 links (ways in which infrastructure helps ED) between infrastructure and economic development.

Loans, and then more loans to pay off the loans, and then more loans to pay off the interest on those loans!:D
There's a difference. Loans for their own sake are not bad. Loans are external capital that flow into our economy because there is potential for capital employment. If the loan is deployed on economically sustainable projects, then the cashflows or the economic benefits of that project compensate for the servicing of loan. For example, the motorways generate their own cash which would not only help them service their debt but also maintain their infrastructure in-tact. However, if the loans are employed for unsustainable projects (suppose income support program which artficially helps people from poverty line), then they become a major problem since there are no cashflows to service the debt.

There's a difference. Loans for their own sake are not bad. Loans are external capital that flow into our economy because there is potential for capital employment. If the loan is deployed on economically sustainable projects, then the cashflows or the economic benefits of that project compensate for the servicing of loan. For example, the motorways generate their own cash which would not only help them service their debt but also maintain their infrastructure in-tact. However, if the loans are employed for unsustainable projects (suppose income support program which artficially helps people from poverty line), then they become a major problem since there are no cashflows to service the debt.

You don't expect the feasibility of a mega project like this to be completed in just 3 months do you? These Sharif brothers have a habit of giving tall claims, the metro bus deadline, flyovers and underpasses and whatnot. There is no harm in doing the project at a moderate pace, not too fast, not too slow.

Is say behtar hai New Isl Airport jaldi bana day.

But I agree with your point, that a project like this would pay back the money invested.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom