What's new

Planning to Develop a Computer Operating System : DRDO

thestringshredder

Reaction score
Country
India
images

According to a government spokesperson, India has plans to develop a new computer operating system which will enhance the security of their computer systems. This new operating system is being developed by India’s Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO).

DRDO is part of India’s Ministry of Defence and it has around 50 laboratories specialized in developing technologies from various areas including electronics, aeronautics, combat vehicles, engineering systems, armaments, missiles, advanced computing and simulation, naval systems, life sciences, training, instrumentation, agriculture and information systems. Although the operating system would be first developed for defense application, it later can be made available for the commercial markets.

Such a decision comes from the primary reason of security concerns and having its own operating system India will be able to prevent hacking of their systems. Two software engineering centers are being set up for the same purpose, one in New Delhi and one in Bangalore.

Links - Planning to Develop a Computer Operating System : DRDO | idrw.org

They must start the designing, not just plan.It is critical to cyber security of our country.

why do we need it... DRDO does not need this distraction..

source code would be our proprietary there won't be any new viruses as most of the viruses are made for Windows so less hacking or completely hack proof

Lets not make it Linux based. Can India come up with an operating system purely of its own. I doubt so..

Hopefully this not the typical Indian boasting and it won't take 30 years to complete like the LCA

Lets not make it Linux based. Can India come up with an operating system purely of its own. I doubt so..

Yes Indians can do it easily provided the GOI puts in enough resources and the project is led by qualified pesonnels and not some asshole babu. There is nothing wrong in selecting Linux as the base. Even, Google didnt reinvent the wheel.

Yes Indians can do it easily provided the GOI puts in enough resources and the project is led by qualified pesonnels and not some asshole babu. There is nothing wrong in selecting Linux as the base. Even, Google didnt reinvent the wheel.

Definitely nothing wrong with LINUX but I don't get the point of DRDO developing it. They must hire a private entity to develop the OS. This will have far reaching impact on Indian economy and maybe an Indian Microsoft could emerge. I think its time for India to stop doing back-end services and develop products for the world.

Stupid *** decision . At the end of the day they will customize a Linux Distro and Chest thump .

Definitely nothing wrong with LINUX but I don't get the point of DRDO developing it. They must hire a private entity to develop the OS. This will have far reaching impact on Indian economy and maybe an Indian Microsoft could emerge. I think its time for India to stop doing back-end services and develop products for the world.

Before Indian Microsoft, we need to establish Indian PC/Laptop maker. No US manufacturer will adopt an Indian OS.

Before Indian Microsoft, we need to establish Indian PC/Laptop maker. No US manufacturer will adopt an Indian OS.

No one is asking for Americans to accept an Indian OS. Our own market is big enough to make it Microsoft competitor. Moreover government policies can be notified for Indian PC dealers to only sell laptops with Indian OS. There is something called preferential market access. India recently applied in manufacturing it can be applied in Software as well. Just like China where Google and Youtube is not allowed India could ban Microsoft and force Indians to use Indian OS.
Notification grants preferential market access to domestic producers - International Law Office

This should have been done long time back.

We have all the required IT expertise, why delay so much if it so important.

Having call centers and outsourcing doesn't mean you have IT expertise. It's just that you have low labour costs and you speak the language of your Anglo-Saxon masters.

Holy sh-!T ? Are u kidding me ? DRDO announced " we are coming up with a new OS" like an year ago. Again it is "we will" the fcuk is wrong with these fuckwads in DRDO ! Pathetic !

Back
Top Bottom