What's new

PLA Style: Gun Boat Diplomacy

Lankan Ranger

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
PLA Style: Gun Boat Diplomacy

1292498216_54678.jpg

XINHUI

Interesting! I never know tanks can fire from ships. Thanks for the post, SK. :cheesy:

:china::pakistan:

Interesting! I never know tanks can fire from ships. Thanks for the post, SK. :cheesy:

:china::pakistan:

Those aren't tanks. More like self-propelled artillery.

I wonder what the point of this was? Perhaps to train the artillery men to fire more accurately since the "bumpy" motions of a ship makes it difficult to aim?

Those aren't tanks. More like self-propelled artillery.

I wonder what the point of this was? Perhaps to train the artillery men to fire more accurately since the "bumpy" motions of a ship makes it difficult to aim?

Yup those sure are SPGs. The boat seems to be in still waters, so "bumpy" motions can be ruled out. And why would arty men in SPGs need "bumpy" training? They dont shoot while moving, do they?

That being said, its a very interesting picture. SPGs firing from a boat? May be a cheaper way of training naval arty men for their jobs? no?

It's a way of providing artillery support during amphibious operations the old school style.

The photo itself is real, but the shots are PSed, notice they are all the same, and it is impossible to time all the artillery pieces to fire at the same time down to that accuracy.

It's a way of providing artillery support during amphibious operations the old school style.

The photo itself is real, but the shots are PSed, notice they are all the same, and it is impossible to time all the artillery pieces to fire at the same time down to that accuracy.

Yep sure looks it. The powder burn indicates they were fired at different times, yet the projectiles seem to have left the barrel at the same time.

Also three of the muzzle flashes look copy/paste jobs.

Chinese are always busy in experimenting and modification and such seems to be a part of same cycle..for example just look how many modifications and variations China has released for the orignal Honda CD70 bike?

This ain't a real photo.

If the Type 89s fired, then the impulse from the firing would change boat's velocity vectors, thus making steering very hard. The relative velocity of the Type 89 to the water is also not zero, which makes aiming very difficult.

Modern tracked artillery aren't designed to fire while moving.

Back
Top Bottom