Gessler

Reaction score
Country
India
Pipavav Defence says it had been declared the lowest bidder for the order
under a competitive bidding process

Pipavav Defence and Offshore Engineering Company Ltd has emerged as the
lowest bidder for building 14 Fast Patrol Vehicles (FPVs) for the Indian Coast
Guard. The order value would be about Rs 920 crore.

In a filing with the stock exchanges, Pipavav Defence said that it was declared
the lowest bidder by the Indian Coast Guard for design and construction of 14 FPVs
under the competitive bidding process.

FPVs are primarily used for patrol within Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ),
coastal patrol, anti-smuggling, antipiracy and search & rescue operations.

The company is already executing a contract for delivery of five Naval vessels
valued at about Rs 2,975 crore.

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com...bags-order-worth-rs-920-cr/article5299617.ece

The ICG is expanding/modenrising like no ones's buisness! After the events of 26/11 this is just excellant and very welcome to see :D

It is because of 26/11 that Coast Guard has finally decided to become a useful force and not merely bribe collectors from smugglers.

These Naval Patrol Vessels will go a long way in securing the Indian Coast.

It is because of 26/11 that Coast Guard has finally decided to become a useful force and not merely bribe collectors from smugglers.

These Naval Patrol Vessels will go a long way in securing the Indian Coast.

The bribe collection business was the sole monopoly of the Customs and State Harbor Police forces. The ICG only took (and takes) fresh fish from trawlers in exchange for diesel.

The bribe collection business was the sole monopoly of the Customs and State Harbor Police forces. The ICG only took (and takes) fresh fish from trawlers in exchange for diesel.
Coast Guard rakes in its due part from smugglers. The State forces do their duty as well.
Smuggling requires multiple agencies to cooperate.

Coast Guard rakes in its due part from smugglers. The State forces do their duty as well.
Smuggling requires multiple agencies to cooperate.

That is a sector that I've had some familiarity with. The delineation of powers and responsibility is very different from what you assume to be the case. Smuggling has largely to do with the Customs. Even the Police cannot prosecute where the Customs has its writ. What are the prosecution powers of the ICG in smuggling: zero, zilch. It can board and detain, but cannot even arrest.
Even the jurisdictions of the three forces are different. The ICG is tasked with the EEZ.
Coastal jurisdiction is very nebulous in its definition as it is.

I take your word for it then.
I have had the pleasure of a few trips in Bombay with the CG and my knowledge is strictly anecdotal based on loose chat with a few of them.

That is a sector that I've had some familiarity with.

Do you mean to tell me that you stop merchant vessels before running off with a portion of their prized cargo with a fair maiden on your arms & a bald mariner with a black eye patch as your first mate ? :unsure:

Nice......! 8-)

I take your word for it then.
I have had the pleasure of a few trips in Bombay with the CG and my knowledge is strictly anecdotal based on loose chat with a few of them.

Then in that case ask them some searching questions on what is their area of resposnsibility and the limitation of their powers. See if if it has any differences with what I've stated. 
Do you mean to tell me that you stop merchant vessels before running off with a portion of their prized cargo with a fair maiden on your arms & a bald mariner with a black eye patch as your first mate ? :unsure:

Nice......! 8-)

If only I could do any of that; Aye, if only I could.

Though i'd eye the prized treasure chest of doubloons and leave the fair maiden to the sharks and the bald mariner with a black eye-patch to the mermaids.

Last edited:
I wonder if ICG uses hovercraft and what kind of hovercraft(I know GRSE makes Griffon GRSE 8000 TD Hovercraft for ICG,I want to know if they make any other)..

Back
Top Bottom