What's new

Picture of the Day

Creating history

20101120_24.jpg

Pakistani players run onto the field as they celebrate their win over Bangladesh by 10 wickets to win the gold medal in the women’s cricket at the 16th Asian Games on Friday. ap

From NGC's Photography contest 2010:

n02_sean-heavey.jpg

A supercell thunderstorm rolls across the Montana prairie at sunset.

n06_freddy-cerdeira.jpg

Liquid Planet. Another picture from the Liquid Vision Series, which shows a different point of view of waves. An angle that people are not used to seeing.

n08_fred-turck.jpg

Praying Mantis - Pseudocreobotra wahlbergii. This beautiful whalbergii evolved through two of its nymph-stages on the Barberton Daisy at left, surviving because of its bright color which blended so well with the flower. Towards the end of its growth into an adult, it became a little more adventurous (but not much more) as pictured here. Once it had shed the layer in this picture, it became a fully-fledged adult, and departed after about two weeks. Total stay in this tiny ecosystem was approximately six weeks.

n12_patrick-john-odoherty.jpg

Cosmic. Mother nature doing what she does best.

n16_jay-fine.jpg

Lightning Strike NY Harbor. This shot was captured during a major electrical storm. There was little wind and no rain which allowed me to stay safely inside and shoot from an open window. This was the 82nd exposure out of 150 made that night. The camera was mounted on a tripod, exposures made with a cable release for 5 seconds at f10. Except for a some minor level adjustments and a square crop this was what came out of the camera.

n17_glen-hush.jpg

Boise Sunrise. With the fog and morning light this looks like a place I'd love to be. If you look very closely, you can see a deer in a clearing in the center left area of the picture

n24_kostadin-luchansky.jpg

The Serra da Leba Road near Lubango (Huíla, Angola). This is Serra da Leba, a landmark in Angola. A road built in the 70's, it's been in the country's postcard images for decades, but all shots were taken by day. I wanted something different and tried a night shot. But it seemed impossible: pitch dark, foggy, altitude of 1,800m (5,000ft). I wanted no more than 60sec of exposure, max, to avoid digital noise. But a car takes a few minutes to climb or descend this section of the road. The fog was dense and blocking the view! Suddenly the fog cleared, a few cars went down, others went up, they met in the middle in under 60sec... Painting done!

n29_nam-in-geun.jpg

Oasis.

lorraine-mondial-air-balloons-2009.jpg

Aeromagic Space Shuttle special shape balloon at Lorraine Mondial Air Balloons 2009

Hey I had a flag just like that..
used the back for an autograph wall for all my peeps..
although I felt bad that I may be disrespecting old glory..
But I kept the front pristine..

MANADO, Indonesia — A new, 62-foot-tall menorah, possibly the world’s largest, rises from a mountain overlooking this Indonesian city, courtesy of the local government. Flags of Israel can be spotted on motorcycle taxi stands, one near a six-year-old synagogue that has received a face-lift, including a ceiling with a large Star of David, paid for by local officials. Read more

indonesian-menorah1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom