PIA signs 100m deal for 7 aircraft

EagleEyes

ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
PIA signs $100m deal for 7 aircraft

<div class='bbimg'></div>

KARACHI, Nov 2: PIA on Wednesday signed an agreement with Avions de Transport Regional (ATR), France for the purchase of seven new ATR42-500 turbo prop aircraft. The agreement was signed by Tariq Kirmani, Chairman & CEO, PIA and Mr Filippo Bagnato, CEO, ATR. The aircraft will replace PIA’s ageing F-27 aircraft fleet operated on socio-economic routes. The 48-seat aircraft are scheduled to be delivered between 2006 and 2007 with delivery of first aircraft in May 2006. The total value of the contract is approx US&#036;100 million.

<div class='bbimg'>
dc6b9b97e8b4817742a6f8f802adb105.jpg
</div>

ATR42-500 aircraft are equipped with the Multi-Purpose Computer (MPC) and complies with the latest navigation requirements such as Precision Are Navigation (P-RNAV). Since the beginning of the programme, ATR has sold 758 aircraft (398 ATR42s and 360 ATR72s). ATR42-500 aircraft are operated by several airlines around the globe substantiating its triumph as market leader among other turbo prop aircraft.

Source: Dawn

Will the Air Force and Navy take the retired F-27&#39;s when the ATR42&#39;s come into service?

Originally posted by Asif Shamim@Nov 9 2005, 08:00 AM
Will the Air Force and Navy take the retired F-27&#39;s when the ATR42&#39;s come into service?
[post=2586]Quoted post[/post]​

They shouldn&#39;t, i had read the article long time ago that F-27&#39;s are doing overtime flight hours, and they need to be replaced soon as possible. This information was attached when Pakistan planned to acquired Indonesian CN-235

seats are very un-comfortable esp on flights more than 1 hour duration - the ATR is a 'short haul' aircraft to operate on distances of less than 1 hour. PIA is using them on the khi-mtn-lhr route!!!

they shd invest in the larger ATR-72 aircraft for long-hauls.

other than that these a/c are top-of-the-line. had the opportunity to sit in the cockpit which is slightly crammed but the avionics is state-of-the-art.

seats are very un-comfortable esp on flights more than 1 hour duration - the ATR is a 'short haul' aircraft to operate on distances of less than 1 hour. PIA is using them on the khi-mtn-lhr route!!!

they shd invest in the larger ATR-72 aircraft for long-hauls.

other than that these a/c are top-of-the-line. had the opportunity to sit in the cockpit which is slightly crammed but the avionics is state-of-the-art.

Sir,

With due respect, i used to travel in Pakistan by air extensively when i was like growing up.

Karachi-Lahore, Karachi-Faisalabad, Karachi-Multan....like in summer and winter vacations and would see 737s, 777s and 747s always.

Pretty inefficient for such big jets.

Now i have flown extensively while in USA for the past 3 years. All airlines use smaller Regional jets from Embraer or Canadair.......so small that i realized the value of 737s that i used to fly with PIA back home.

The regional (1hr) travel in USA is horrible, but efficient for airlines.

PIA needs to stop using 777s, 737s, 747s and Air Bus on 1-1.5 hour routes.

In USA you can only dream.....unless you are flying non-stop between Chicago and JFK, only then you will find a bigger say, 737 and a round trip would cost like 400$.

PIA seriously needs to sort it's route out. Smaller aircraft give more versatility.....add more during peak time...like EID etc...and you can quickly prepare them for next flight.

I mean, like 777s running between ISB and Karachi are just wasting money by being under-utilised.

i have 183,000 points on the PIA diamond card - i travel extensively to places like sukkur, rykhan, multan etc. a 1hr 45m flight from mtn to khi on the ATR requires a lot a patience!

737's are best suited for PIA's domestic destinations over 1 hour duration.

Hi, some of these F-27 planes were upgraded to Marine Patrol Aircraft (MPAs). A quote from ...

"Contract awarded by Pakistan government through Fokker (prime contractor) to Thales in mid-1993 to modernise Pakistan Navy maritime patrol aircraft and frigates. Programme involved installing a new radar and ESM system into its three Fokker F27-200s. The programme was completed in mid-1999. Aircraft are based at PNS Mehran and in 2008 the Pakistan Navy announced that it had modified an additional example, drawn from the grounded ex-Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) fleet. The contract with the PIA included an additional two F27s for spares support."

Hi, some of these F-27 planes were upgraded to Marine Patrol Aircraft (MPAs). A quote from ...

"Contract awarded by Pakistan government through Fokker (prime contractor) to Thales in mid-1993 to modernise Pakistan Navy maritime patrol aircraft and frigates. Programme involved installing a new radar and ESM system into its three Fokker F27-200s. The programme was completed in mid-1999. Aircraft are based at PNS Mehran and in 2008 the Pakistan Navy announced that it had modified an additional example, drawn from the grounded ex-Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) fleet. The contract with the PIA included an additional two F27s for spares support."

they were grounded in 2006-2007. in 2008 they were sold to PN for transport/MPA duties and spares. the 1993 a/c were PN direct purchases

well again buying crap we need something huge as we got in 80s those jumbo jets well after that all sleep PIA went

Back
Top Bottom