What's new

PIA acquires new Boeing 737-800

they should be ordering A380 to reduce per seat costs and obtain a great aircraft in the fleet good for image and reputation which is everything in the airline business. The 787 would be great too.

I agree that Pakistan indeed should buy some A380 to upgrade its fleet. But it should not buy the 787. That plane is a desaster. I don´t think the "Screamliner" is what Pakistan needs.

at last after a long time something has arrived:jester:

We don't have infrastructure for A380 i guess even Karachi Airport is not capable enough to cater a A380 (something to do with runway length) from what i have heard, secondly even airlines like Emirates use A380 for their long routes mostly as it would not be feasible to make it run a KHI - DXB route, someone from airline industry please correct me. Yes i agree for image having a A380 would be kick ***.

^^ Only the New Islamabad Airport has infrastructure for A380

We don't have infrastructure for A380 i guess even Karachi Airport is not capable enough to cater a A380 (something to do with runway length) from what i have heard, secondly even airlines like Emirates use A380 for their long routes mostly as it would not be feasible to make it run a KHI - DXB route, someone from airline industry please correct me. Yes i agree for image having a A380 would be kick ***.
The new Islamabad International Airport will be capable of handling A380 easily, it will be completed in late 2014 or mid 2014. PIA can look into A380 purchase after that.

A380 cost $400m a piece, where is PIA going to get that money plus PIA doesnt have the passenger numbers to fill that plane. Only Airline currently buying them is Emirates, everyone is going after the 787 even though it has major issues

The new Islamabad International Airport will be capable of handling A380 easily, it will be completed in late 2014 or mid 2014. PIA can look into A380 purchase after that.

PIA does not have enough demand to
pia suffering from more employees less air crafts induct 20 aircraft's today loss will go down to 5bn per year . thousands of workers doing nothing and getting salaries induct some 30 to 35 aircraft's or even dry lease them and PIA will be as before . it was big failure they failed to got aircraft's while shaheen got 14 and blue even got some .

now PIA should buy some used B-744s as they did before and got 743 so heavy load will go away easy . no matter how many 777s you have you still need 500+ passengers carrier

there is no need for 747s or A380s.
PIA simply doesn't carry enough passengers on a single flight.
And just for the record most airlines operating A380s are loosing money on them, or making way less than expected.
The only 2 types aircraft PIA needs right now are 320s and 777. Thats it.

you are right about the number of employees though. they seriously need to cut at least half of them.

And just for the record most airlines operating A380s are loosing money on them, or making way less than expected.
The only 2 types aircraft PIA needs right now are 320s and 777. Thats it.

These two points are incorrect.

Firstly, only Air France is struggling with their A380 fleet. Qantas has only deferred theirs as they wanted to reduce capital expenditure (they also deferred 787s).

Secondly, I disagree with your opinion that PIA only needs the A320 and 777.

At the moment, the 77W is being "abused" by PIA due to the lack of available capacity (737 and A310 not big enough) on some domestic and Mid-East routes. Routes where seats are being filled.

Whilst a handful of short haul sectors would be manageable and not very strenuous on a long haul aircraft, PIA's long term use of the 777 in this role is having a detrimental effect on the engine and airframe with cycles quickly adding up. This problem is further exacerbated by the grounding of much of the A310 and 737 fleet, as well as the grounding of a 777 which had a $30 million GE-90 go KABOOM over Russia. The 777 was rescued after a GE-90 was stripped from a 777 in Pakistan then shipped and replaced in Moscow.

The removed engine has reportedly been repaired by Air France in Paris. However they are not releasing the engine due to an absent payment from PIA.

Now the Q you may ask is why do some airlines such as Emirates and some American airlines operate the 777 on short haul flights? - Reason being, said airlines operate large long haul fleets which means they can easily swap and rotate 777 aircraft between short haul/long haul which prevents the flight hour to flight cycle ratio from clocking up. PIA with a small unstandard fleet of 9 777s can not do that.

As such, I think in an ideal world, PIA should order (or have ordered) the A330 which is probably the best short - medium haul wide body ever built.

oh yes i forgot about that one ... yes that one does

Air blue is leasing 2 A320, I don't know who is right or wrong in making the choice.

These two points are incorrect.

Firstly, only Air France is struggling with their A380 fleet. Qantas has only deferred theirs as they wanted to reduce capital expenditure (they also deferred 787s).

Secondly, I disagree with your opinion that PIA only needs the A320 and 777.

At the moment, the 77W is being "abused" by PIA due to the lack of available capacity (737 and A310 not big enough) on some domestic and Mid-East routes. Routes where seats are being filled.

Whilst a handful of short haul sectors would be manageable and not very strenuous on a long haul aircraft, PIA's long term use of the 777 in this role is having a detrimental effect on the engine and airframe with cycles quickly adding up. This problem is further exacerbated by the grounding of much of the A310 and 737 fleet, as well as the grounding of a 777 which had a $30 million GE-90 go KABOOM over Russia. The 777 was rescued after a GE-90 was stripped from a 777 in Pakistan then shipped and replaced in Moscow.

The removed engine has reportedly been repaired by Air France in Paris. However they are not releasing the engine due to an absent payment from PIA.

Now the Q you may ask is why do some airlines such as Emirates and some American airlines operate the 777 on short haul flights? - Reason being, said airlines operate large long haul fleets which means they can easily swap and rotate 777 aircraft between short haul/long haul which prevents the flight hour to flight cycle ratio from clocking up. PIA with a small unstandard fleet of 9 777s can not do that.

As such, I think in an ideal world, PIA should order (or have ordered) the A330 which is probably the best short - medium haul wide body ever built.

I never said anything about operating 777 on short hauls. I don't know where you got that idea from. 777 should be used on Europe and Americas only, and 320s on domestic and mid-east.
I know PIA uses 777 on short hauls because of lack of airworthy aircraft. (more than half of 310s are not air worthy)

I sill stand by using 320 on mid-east and domestic routes. It is better to fill up small aircraft than having a big one, and not being able to fill that up

a recent incident involving a 310 had only about 60 something passengers. Profitable you think?
That's why we need a single aisle aircraft.

they should be ordering A380 to reduce per seat costs and obtain a great aircraft in the fleet good for image and reputation which is everything in the airline business. The 787 would be great too.
Where are you planning to fit that ugly whale? no point if you cant fit it in majority of Pakistani airports. 787 is too risky.

industry please correct me. Yes i agree for image having a A380 would be kick ***.

It could, Emirates operates a380 to Jeddah

Where are you planning to fit that ugly whale? no point if you cant fit it in majority of Pakistani airports. 787 is too risky.

It could, Emirates operates a380 to Jeddah

PIA used to fly the 747 for domestic as well as for international flights. I once flew Karachi to Lahore in 747 my first and last time I have been on a 747 and it was great. Lovely plane. The A380 is no where as nice looking as the 747 but the A380 is the future for Pakistan - the number of passengers are increasing and PIA does still fly to London, New York and Toronto, this means the A380 is a perfect fit for PIA - it can grab a big slice of this cake via reduced seats costs where there are 800 seats in one jet. If it can improve on it's safety and services as well as induct these jets then many people prefer to fly with PIA.

I have flown PIA a lot and the in-flight service has been good. It needs to repair its reputation esp on the safety front and also get rid of the bloated work force. I wish no one to lose their income but by natural reduction ie retirements and people moving on.

Back
Top Bottom