What's new

Philippines overtakes India as hub of call centres

Hafizzz

Reaction score
Philippines overtakes India as hub of call centres
Philippines overtakes India as hub of call centres - Indian Express

Americans calling the customer service lines of their airlines, phone companies and banks are now more likely to speak to Mark in Manila than Bharat in Bangalore.

Over the last several years, a quiet revolution has been reshaping the call centre business: the rise of the Philippines, a former US colony with a large population of young people who speak lightly accented English and, unlike many Indians, are steeped in US culture.

More Filipinos — about 4,00,000 — than Indians now spend nights talking to mostly American consumers, officials said, as companies like AT&T, JPMorgan Chase and Expedia have hired call centres here, or built their own. The jobs have come from the United States, Europe and, to some extent, India as outsourcers followed their clients to the Philippines.

India, where offshore call centres first took off in a big way, fields as many as 3,50,000 call centre agents, according to some industry estimates. The Philippines, which has a population one-tenth as big as India’s, overtook India this year, according to Jojo Uligan, executive director of the Contact Center Association of the Philippines.

The growing preference for the Philippines reflects in part the maturation of the outsourcing business and in part a preference for American English. In the early days, the industry focused simply on finding and setting up shop in countries with large English-speaking populations and low labour costs, which mostly led them to India. But executives say they are now increasingly identifying places best suited for specific tasks. India remains the biggest destination by far for software outsourcing, for instance.

Executives say the growth was not motivated by wage considerations. Filipino call centre agents typically earn more than their Indian counterparts ($300 a month, rather than $250, at the entry level), but executives say they are worth the extra cost because American customers find them easier to understand than they do Indian agents, who speak British-style English and use unfamiliar idioms. Indians, for example, might say, “I will revert on the same,” rather than, “I will follow up on that.”

It helps that Filipinos learn American English in the first grade, eat hamburgers, follow the NBA and watch the TV show “Friends” long before they enter a call centre. In India, by contrast, public schools introduce British English in the third grade, only the urban elite eat American fast food, cricket is the national pastime and “Friends” is a teaching aid for Indian call centre trainers. English is an official language in both countries.

The Philippines has “a unique combination of Eastern, attentive hospitality and attitude of care and compassion mixed with what I call Americanisation,” said Aparup Sengupta, chief executive of Aegis Global, an outsourcing firm based in Mumbai, that acquired Manila-based People Support in 2008 and now employs 13,000 Filipinos. American companies are reluctant to discuss their outsourcing strategies, but privately some executives acknowledged that early on, they focused primarily on saving money. But as they gained experience in different countries, they realized that was not the best strategy.

“Certain phrases people use and idioms are important,” said an executive at a large American company that handles service calls through the Philippines. “We are getting better at it, but of course it is still a hot button.”

Analysts said call centres in the Philippines appeared to have helped American businesses respond to complaints from consumers who said they could not understand Indian agents. But it is unlikely to satisfy critics who say outsourcing is sending too many jobs abroad as millions of Americans struggle to find work.VIKAS BAJAJ

As india moves from bpo to kpo someone needs to fill that gap.

As india moves from bpo to kpo someone needs to fill that gap.

Infrastructure and manufacturing. We badly need to move to rapid manufacturing like Chinese. That's one thing that I would love to be inspired by from Chinese.

This is nothing new. Indian industry is just moving up the value scale.

Caller centers are employment creators but it is killing creative mindset and innovative minds. Good for India.:tup:

Yeah and then those idiots down in the states or up here wonder why the politicos aren't able to create any jobs here. F*cking outsourcing.

The Philippines has “a unique combination of Eastern, attentive hospitality and attitude of care and compassion mixed with what I call Americanisation,” said Aparup Sengupta, chief executive of Aegis Global, an outsourcing firm based in Mumbai, that acquired Manila-based People Support in 2008 and now employs 13,000 Filipinos.

It's good that Phillipines welcomes FDI from India, in these areas.

Phillipines is good to service the American market .. similarly Vietnam (or even China) could be a base to service the Japanese and South Korean customers.

I heard Genpact, TCS, Infy et all have significant head counts in China, primarily to cater to Japanese customers, or multinationals operating in China. (Inspite of the fact, that China tries to obstruct FDI from India).

I read the same article in some other website Philippines Call Centers Overtake India - Slashdot.It says that although Phillipines has higher growth rate (25-30%) in comparison to India (10-15%), India still has much bigger revenue earning in comparison to Phillipines because of our large size in the field . So as much as some of us want the the call center jobs to go, it will probably linger on for long time.

We dont want to be the world's back office any more and we have matured enough to move up the value chain. Being called the call center hub is cheap and down market.

It seems impossible now but definatly i would love to have next Steve Jobs and next Mark Zukerberg from India.Definatly we have potential :cheers:

NO more those Call centers and young youth committing suicide by the work pressure and getting unhealthy by a bad lifestyle......Let's say good bye to call centers and have companies developing softwares....

Back
Top Bottom