What's new

Philippines Eyes Frigates From India

RPK

Reaction score
Country
India
Phl eyes frigates from India | Headlines, News, The Philippine Star | philstar.com

MANILA, Philippines - The Philippines, which is beefing up its defense capability, is considering the procurement of naval frigates from India.

Philippine officials discussed this the other day with a visiting delegation from India led by External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid.

India has intensified its engagement with the Association of Southeast Asian Nations as part of its “Look East” policy in the past decade.

Khurshid, who met yesterday with Vice President Jejomar Binay, said the relationship between the two countries is “extremely important.”

“Now is the time to begin a new chapter,” Khurshid said yesterday over lunch with Filipino officials as he emphasized the two countries’ “shared aspirations and shared attitudes.”

The Philippines is eyeing the procurement of two frigates from India, a nuclear power with its own military shipbuilding capability.

Nice.. And the chess game continues.... I do see a US influence in this development...

Potent Indian frigates are very good bang for buck. You can get a batter stuff for your money which Indian Naval shipyards can offer. A good move by Philippines and good business opportunity for India.

Lets take this one slowly! First let the deal get signed...Indian External Affairs is a bureaucratic nightmare!!! This deal will also require clearance from MoD i guess....to many losers in one place i guess!

I think Kamorta class stealth corvette is no less than a modern frigate and a very good option for their navy.
With 3000 T displacement, 8 anti-ship cruise missiles, 16 Barak sams, 2*3 tarpedo tubes, anti-submarine rocket launchers, 2* CIWS and 1 heli.
www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamorta-class_corvette

Good news , if true .

But what frigates are we talking about ??

Also Indian shipyards are working full and still finding it difficult to fulfill the needs of IN .

Then how are we going to build some for Philippines ??

Good news , if true .

But what frigates are we talking about ??

Also Indian shipyards are working full and still finding it difficult to fulfill the needs of IN .

Then how are we going to build some for Philippines ??

dude pipavav shipyard has a tremendus capacity to build war ships and little orders so far(only 5 offshore patrol ships). They are expanding their shipyard to build submarines and other warships but so far govt has failed to give them chance to play big.

Indian ship building industry is already working at 100% capacity to fulfill the needs of IN. From where will the new frigates come?

I was thinking of the same thing. Are Indians willing to forgo some of its needed ships in order to satisfy foreign needs? Before India can help others, it should help itself first.

dude pipavav shipyard has a tremendus capacity to build war ships and little orders so far(only 5 offshore patrol ships). They are expanding their shipyard to build submarines and other warships but so far govt has failed to give them chance to play big.

The title is about frigates, not patrol boats.

Indian ship building industry is already working at 100% capacity to fulfill the needs of IN. From where will the new frigates come?

well deal is not coming in a year and will take few years to be signed and govt is upgrading many shipyards for greater capacity and quick production like cochin shipyard and goa shipyard and many more. And also private shipyards like Pipavav shipyard ltd has a great potential and little orders as of now so ofcourse we can build some ships for foreign countries.
PS: GSRE shipyard,kolkata is already manufacturing 2 kora class corvettes for mauritius.

I was thinking of the same thing. Are Indians willing to forgo some of its needed ships in order to satisfy foreign needs? Before India can help others, it should help itself first.

beware china man before trolling my post.

You have clearly typed faster than you can read. He is saying that the private sector (capable of warship building) is under utilized.

You have clearly typed faster than you can read. He is saying that the private sector (capable of warship building) is under utilized.

If they are under utilized, then why are they not used to build frigates.

If they are under utilized, then why are they not used to build frigates.

Ofcourse they will be utilized soon. Pipavav shipyard ltd is new company(2007-2008) and soon they will get more orders. Also they have capacity to build
1.OPV
2.Frigates.
3.Destroyers.
4.Corvettes.
5.LPDs.
6.Submarines.
7. Aircraft Carriers according to their website.
Naval Shipbuilding

also there is a high chance that they'll build atleast 2 LPDs for navy in near future as Indian navy is buying 4 LPDs(of which 2 will be local made).
Again DCNS has 15% stake in Pipavav shipyard ltd.
Pipavav-DCNS to Build Warships » Indian Defence Review
PS: pipavav shipyard has largest dry dock among all of Indian shipyards.

very good news

dude pipavav shipyard has a tremendous capacity to build war ships and little orders so far(only 5 offshore patrol ships). They are expanding their shipyard to build submarines and other warships but so far govt has failed to give them chance to play big.

You are suggesting Pipavav may get this order for two frigates?

Possible and if they build potent warships, they may get orders from IN too

Back
Top Bottom