What's new

Philippines Eyes Frigates From India

dude pipavav shipyard has a tremendous capacity to build war ships and little orders so far(only 5 offshore patrol ships). They are expanding their shipyard to build submarines and other warships but so far govt has failed to give them chance to play big.

You are suggesting Pipavav may get this order for two frigates?

Possible and if they build potent warships, they may get orders from IN too

PS: GSRE shipyard,kolkata is already manufacturing 2 kora class corvettes for mauritius.

Any source? @kakay

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Philippines is trying to buy Godavari Class Frigates from IN..30 years old,yet truly powerful and mean machines.

but I think Philippines better buy our heavy OPVs like Saryu-class and modify it to carry cruise and ballistic missiles..2300 ton is more than what they need to lay few ASHM/ASCM,Guns along with countermeasures and sensors..Thats what Sri Lanka did.they bought modified INS Sarayu and modified it to carry YJ-82 ASHM.Pretty cheap but decent platform.and it is serving as their flagship(LOL...it was a ICGS ship,not even Navy's).if heavily modified,it could be comparable with F=22P.small,yet lethal.

very good news

yes dude they can build very advance warships including frigates and destroyers.
Naval Shipbuilding
also if Mistral class LPD is selected in our 4 LPD procurement then almost 100% chance that 2 locally built mistrals will be manufactured in Pipavav as DCNS has a stake in it.

Any source? @kakay

www.trishul-trident.blogspot.com/2011/05/grse-bags-order-from-mauritius.html?m=1

Last edited by a moderator:
indian frigates?

you mean indian frigates with foreign made engines, radars, missiles, sonar, navigation system, helicopters?

give me a break please! india is a backward country that couldn't even provide its own citizens a half reliable power grid.

At the best I expect is that we supply'em with some of our 'soon to be retired' frigate. Godavari class is the oldest frigate in service I guess, Considering that our shipyards are booked with local orders.

indian frigates?

you mean indian frigates with foreign made engines, radars, missiles, sonar, navigation system, helicopters?

give me a break please! india is a backward country that couldn't even provide its own citizens a half reliable power grid.

OMG great Chini troll is back with a whole truckload of BS:omghaha:

We have made our own SONARs and Radars for warships.
We have made our own helicopters.
Only very few countries can make reliable Marine Gas Turbines.Even China uses ukranian,ones...:lol:

So STFU and GTFO.

I was thinking of the same thing. Are Indians willing to forgo some of its needed ships in order to satisfy foreign needs? Before India can help others, it should help itself first.

The title is about frigates, not patrol boats.

OMG troll is on a roll again...:omghaha:

If it was some Chinese weapon system getting an export order,this guy would have cheerleased for them,but when an Indian one gets export order,he is trolling like his bottom is on fire...:lol:

And FYI OPVs being built at Pipav-'Sarayu class' has as much tonnage as frigates exported by China (Yes,the same one used by orneighbours :rolleyes:)

Indian ship building industry is already working at 100% capacity to fulfill the needs of IN. From where will the new frigates come?

The Philippines actually has a very advanced marine ship building industry, they just tended to purchase used US naval vessels. The frigate can easily be built in the Philippines with assistance from the indian yards.

Just google their ship building

Hmm,if you're talking about P-17/A however there are many issues associated with this. Issue number one delivery, as it stands Indian shipyards have about a decades worth of orders on their books. Secondly I highly doubt the Phillipnes can afford to procure or operate 6-7,000 ton frigates that cost $700mn-1BN USD apeice. Nor would such behemoths fit in with their aspirations/naval doctrine.

Likely, the PNs would order a smaller and cheaper, one-off design from India- if they ever did.

If I remember correctly the Philippines government cancelled the purchase of the third Hamilton class cutter in September 2013, the Jarvis was then bought and upgraded by Bangladesh. Instead the Philippines navy decided to purchase 2 new build frigates, to be BUILT in the Philippines, and they have been talking with South Korea, US and Australia about this, but the sticking point has been price.

I think india has a great chance to step in right now buy offering a modified version of the recently launched corvettes from GRSE (namely the project 28a updated kamorta class) this should meet the Philippines naval needs and be affordable. Especially as the Philippines navy is looking for 2 frigates and 4 ASW corvettes, the only thing is will india be willing or able to offer full TOT for the ships to be built in the Philippines?

OMG troll is on a roll again...:omghaha:

If it was some Chinese weapon system getting an export order,this guy would have cheerleased for them,but when an Indian one gets export order,he is trolling like his bottom is on fire...:lol:

And FYI OPVs being built at Pipav-'Sarayu class' has as much tonnage as frigates exported by China (Yes,the same one used by orneighbours :rolleyes:)

I'm sure Kalkata class destroyer is even more advanced. So when was this ship in commission since it was launched in 2006. I do not see a commission date in wikipedia. Can you help me fill in the details.

I'm sure Kalkata class destroyer is even more advanced. So when was this ship in commission since it was launched in 2006. I do not see a commission date in wikipedia. Can you help me fill in the details.

They're going to commission it in 2014.hell,even wiki has said that..pay attention when you read..

During Sea Trials,they've found some problem in INS Kolkata.so,they'll fix it and commission it in 2014(delay of 6 months).

read this.....

The first ship of the class, being constructed at Mazgaon Dock Limited (MDL) in Mumbai, was scheduled to be delivered in July. But technical problems were detected during the sea trials of the destroyers - the largest warships to be constructed and designed at MDL.

It is estimated that the project has been delayed by at least six months as the new destroyer would now be made available only by early 2014.

Navy's ongoing hunt for heavy torpedoes leads to delay in modernisation process : North, News - India Today

That a very good news.

The string of pearls is getting chain of steel as reply :yay:

What type of frigate are we talking about here? Cause P-17 frigates are heavy, 7000 ton frigates and expensive which I doubt Philippines need.

Something the size of talwar class maybe.

What type of frigate are we talking about here? Cause P-17 frigates are heavy, 7000 ton frigates and expensive which I doubt Philippines need.

Something the size of talwar class maybe.
I think they're searching something in the class of F-22P.Light,yet enough punch packed inside it.so,if they want new platforms,either Modified Kamorta Class or Heavily Modified Saryu Class OPV armed with ASHM/ASCM,SAM and other countermeasures and electronic platforms(like SLNS Sayura modification,which is actually Sukanya Class OPV) should be bought.also,I think they should buy Missile Boats,which are highly effective against larger targets.

Back
Top Bottom