What's new

Philippine Incoming President Will Visit China First

Duterte will be an interesting President of the Philippines.

--------
Smoke-free Philippines possible under Duterte admin, says group
Sunday, June 26, 2016

THE New Vois Association of the Philippines (NVAP) on Saturday said the distinct track record of President-elect Rodrigo Duterte in curbing smoking in Davao City during his term as mayor is already enough to give them confidence in seeing a smoke-free Philippines soon.

In a statement, NVAP said they expect Duterte to be unwavering in his desire to implement a no smoking policy all over the Philippines just like what he did when he was Davao City mayor.

“We are confident that incoming President Duterte will carry out his earlier declaration of imposing a nationwide smoking ban. There is no doubt on his political will as he has already shown this in making Davao City smoke-free since 2002,” said NVAP President Emer Rojas.

It should be noted that Davao City had been hailed by the World Health Organization for its smoke-free policy since 2002, which is the first in the Philippines.

Rojas said one of the good starting points for the incoming administration would be the strict implementation of the smoke-free policy in schools and its perimeters.

“The youth have been targeted by tobacco companies as ‘replacement smokers’. Therefore, it is only logical to start the campaign in achieving a smoke-free Philippines in schools and universities,” said Rojas.

According to Section 5 of Republic Act No. 9211 or the Tobacco Regulation Act, smoking shall be absolutely prohibited in playschools, preparatory schools, elementary schools, high schools, colleges, and universities.

Also, Section 10 of RA 9211 states that sale or distribution of tobacco products is prohibited within 100 meters from any point of the perimeter of a school.

But while NVAP is looking forward to the Duterte administration, it did not fail to express gratitude to outgoing President Aquino.

Rojas said the group continues to be grateful over Aquino’s act of signing of Republic Act 10351 or the “Sin Tax Reform Law”, and the Republic Act No. 10643 or the “Graphic Health Warnings Law”.

“Among President Aquino’s legacy shall always be the signing of the two measures that are proving to be effective tools in curbing the tobacco menace in the country: the Sin Tax law and the GHW law. These two policies will forever be associated to the Aquino administration,” said Rojas.

What is more impressive, according to Rojas, is that the two laws were enacted by a president, who is known to be a chain smoker.

“Being a smoker himself proved to be a non-factor for President Aquino as it did not stop him from considering what would be beneficial for all Filipinos, which is to save them from developing smoking-related illnesses, through these tobacco control policies,” said Rojas.

It was back in December 2012 when Aquino signed the Sin Tax law, which aims to make tobacco products more inaccessible to the public, especially the poor and the youth, by having their tax rates increased.

The GHW law, meanwhile, was approved by Aquino last July 2014 in a bid to make it mandatory for tobacco companies to put pictures of the ill-effects of smoking in every cigarette pack sold in the market. (HDT/Sunnex)

I would like to see a smoke-free China too, if possible. Perhaps China and Philippines can corporate in this area to eliminate this social ill for good.

They did overcame obstacles here... at the expense that the common Filipinos are no longer able to catch up because the local Chinese has financial backings due to being the ones in control of the Philippine economy, or simply on top, giving them access to better education while the common Filipinos are forced to have a member of their family to go abroad and be "enslaved" by foreigners.

And because the PH government cares more about the Tsinoy welfare than the common Pinoy welfare, well, it is obviously that the Tsinoys here have more power... and I am pretty sure their loyalty is to their blood and race, not to the Republic of the Philippines and its Constitution.

Everything I say is BS to you, so why bother sharing what I think. :angry:

Dude, I'm willing to listen.

I read that in South Africa, many black people complain the same thing as white South Africans control the economy.

I just wanted to hear what a common Filipino thinks from their point of view.

I would like to see a smoke-free China too, if possible. Perhaps China and Philippines can cooperate in this area to eliminate this social ill for good.
Smoking is very bad for health. I remember that big tobacco CEO's under oath in the US Congress said, "they don't believe that smoking causes lung cancer". These are all capitalists without any conscience who only care about profits.

I hope Australia will be totally smoke free too. We were the first in the world to start "plain packaging" for cigarettes.

Now, our public indoor places are smoke free zones.

They did overcame obstacles here... at the expense that the common Filipinos are no longer able to catch up because the local Chinese has financial backings due to being the ones in control of the Philippine economy, or simply on top, giving them access to better education while the common Filipinos are forced to have a member of their family to go abroad and be "enslaved" by foreigners.

And because the PH government cares more about the Tsinoy welfare than the common Pinoy welfare, well, it is obviously that the Tsinoys here have more power... and I am pretty sure their loyalty is to their blood and race, not to the Republic of the Philippines and its Constitution.

It is the fault of no one, if not yours. You people have to work hard to compete, do not blame the ethnic Chinese.
In Vietnam, the government even have to give them incentive and preferential treatment in education to lift up their social status. Generally, ethnic Chinese in Vietnam now are poorer, less educated and have quite low social status, even after so many preferential treatment they received from the French (who was scared of conflict with China), from the governments of both North Vietnam (who needed support from China to fight against the US) and South Vietnam (who needed support from anywhere and was scared of anything)

You either have to blame your own race or should choose to follow the communist way. Stop saying the nonsense:''in Philipines, we have freedom to say everything" and continue whining.. At least, in a communist-led society, there is no such large gaps between rich and poor like in the Phillipines and basic education are guaranteed. These are the basic things for any country to develop.

Oh, dude, you got pain in the ***.

I tell you something. I wasnt born here in germany. I came here with huge language barrier, but as a chinese and having chinese parents, we pushed me through all the difficulties, trying to get better and better, to access the best future i can have.

I dont sit here and cry how unfair it is to be poorer, have difficulties in language and acceptance. How rude sometimes low class people can be to us chinese and how we looked down from arrogant dumbasses. I faced all the prejudices.

I take my chance and do my best regardless how "unfair" life can be. I face it and grow with it.

Thats the difference between hardworking east asians and banana people.

I have long say Duterte will warm Sino Pinoy r/s. Indeed Aquino is a American lackey who hinder progress of Philippine.

We Chinese fully welcome Duterte and interested in helping Philippine build up infrastructure to help reduce poverty.

Scarborough shoal is just few piece of useless sea area to Philippine. Duterte is wise to pick the correct choice :enjoy:

@jerry_tan @Cossack25A1

so Aquino was a American lackey and now Duterte will be a Chinese lackey :rofl:

I agree China deserves the Scarborough shoal and the 9 dash line shouldn't be questioned and should be enforced fully by the PLAAN by all means necessary

good luck Duterte :china:

so Aquino was a American lackey and now Duterte will be a Chinese lackey :rofl:

I agree China deserves the Scarborough shoal and the 9 dash line shouldn't be questioned and should be enforced fully by the PLAAN by all means necessary

good luck Duterte :china:
Duterte is not a Lackey for anyone but a Pinoy that loves his own country and wanted his country to develop more.

China can help Philippine develop more like infrastructure building , low rate loan and more trade. Can American do that?

One thing to add. Chinese overseas troops don't bring rape and murder on other countries soil unlike some countries :lol:

Duterte is not a Lackey for anyone but a Pinoy that loves his own country and wanted his country to develop more.

China can help Philippine develop more like infrastructure building , low rate loan and more trade. Can American do that?

One thing to add. Chinese overseas troops don't bring rape and murder on other countries soil unlike some countries :lol:

not a Chinese lackey huh,, so if he says Scarborough Shoal isn't Chinese but Philippines you'll be fine with that?? or will you accuse him of being a American dog as well :wave::wave:

not a Chinese lackey huh,, so if he says Scarborough Shoal isn't Chinese but Philippines you'll be fine with that?? or will you accuse him of being a American dog as well :wave::wave:

That's your former colony, how he could be a Chinese lackey? Interesting, Aquino is Chinese Pinoy, he ever visited his ancestors' hometown in China, the locals gave him warm welcome. But nowadays his hometown villiagers refuse to talk about him. lol.

How can you be so sure Scarborough shoal is not Chinese territories? It seems like you already has a close minded. Becos Philippine is now serving US agenda. So it definitely is Pinoy islets and sea?

I would like to see a smoke-free China too, if possible. Perhaps China and Philippines can corporate in this area to eliminate this social ill for good.

I completely agree. When I was in the Mainland recently, I noticed that most public spaces are not smoke-free; there might be laws but they are not perfectly effective.

At the university I was visiting, some professors were smoking in their offices.

Not good and needs change.

On this, kudos to the new PH president to take initiative for a smoke-free PH.

On topic, if he really makes his first state trip to China, that would be a strong political statement. Another strong statement would be to kick out the US military presence there, which brings lots of social ills, including rape and murder.

Like Beast says, if the PH is able to get rid of the fixation on useless Scarborough Shoal which China already effectively controls and which has no use for the PH, then we can do miracles by cooperating on many development projects in the PH.

As I said before, the new president appears to be a smart, pragmatist fella. Bad for the US, good for China, potentially.

Back
Top Bottom