What's new

Pew survey on how the world views China

Unsurprisingly, the countries who rank China highly as an economic power are ALL the top 6 world economic powers (except China herself), namely USA, Japan, Germany, France and Britain. And all the countries who rank China lowly economically are without exception at the other end of world economic spectrum.

Why bother to care what India and Indians think? I won't care at all what a 8th grader thinks when I am doing my Ph.D thesis. :lol:

Negative perception about economic power of china is increasing in western European countries. This could be due to ever-growing chinese economy while european economies contracted during recent recession.

The declining favorability is present in just about all Western and nearby Asian nations. I don't think China has done things that much differently, so it's likely that those countries are increasingly finding China as a threat, rather than just a land of cheap labor where they can make money with.

BTW, check out some of the other pages in the report, there are some pretty interesting figures pertaining to China/****/India, like:

Indians, for some reason, are the most likely to think that the U.S. considers their interests when the U.S. makes decisions:
269-01-09.png

Chinese optimism for its country's direction is absolutely unmatched. I'm sure government propaganda helped a lot too, though the Russians don't share the same trait. As I've always argued, the Chinese people don't care that much about political freedom, it's all about money...:
269-03-00.png

...and the money is good(at least the Chinese ppl think so):
269-03-01.png

India and China embrace capitalism/trading the most of all countries, and why not? Both are benefiting aplenty:
269-03-11.png

China's perception as the leading economic power is growing by leaps and bounds....except ironically in China, India, and Pakistan. And Argentina too, but nobody cares about them. Also of interest is the fact that of the relevant countries, India by far has the lowest perception of China's economy:
269-03-13.png

Pakistanis and Turks are the staunches opponents of suicide bombings of the Muslim countries:
269-07-02.png

Surprisingly, the Chinese people are the most willing to do something about environmental problems. The Chinese government doesn't seem like they think so:
269-08-06.png

Again, surprisingly, Indians, of all people, are the most open to the use of force. Kind of weird given the pacifist nature of the Hindu religion:
269-09-04.png

Not surprising when you consider the armed conflicts we have to keep up with......seems like foreign countries always like to meddle in our affairs. You forgot to notice that India was more or less second to China in these polls. Also, not all Indians are hindus and vice versa.

the report has shown some very good trends in pakistan as well with majority disowning taliiban n violence..
n china as most imp friend..:smitten:
i am liking this survey..LSE learn something!!

The most unfavorable countries for China are
Japan at 69%
Turkey and Germany at 61%
S. Korea at 46%
and only then India at around half of 52%

So it seems that there are many countries who are more apprehensive than India on China.

Why bother to care what India and Indians think? I won't care at all what a 8th grader thinks when I am doing my Ph.D thesis. :lol:

Nope, you are wrong man. It's bad to have your neighbor as an enemy, whether it's India or Nepal, or japan. :cheers:

The most unfavorable countries for China are
Japan at 69%
Turkey and Germany at 61%
S. Korea at 46%
and only then India at around half of 52%

So it seems that there are many countries who are more apprehensive than India on China.

well japan france russia and usa has big worry about china

well japan france russia and usa has big worry about china

LOL - Which graph are you reading?

It is blatantly clear that from the first chart that....

of the 21 countries surveyed, the only countries where the unfavourable view is prevailant is France, Germany, Turkey, South Korea, India and Japan.

From the 3rd graph - Of these 6 countries, only India sees China as a real enemy:

44% of those Indians say enemy,
32% say partner,
13% say neither and 10% say don't know.

The only other country that regards China as a enemy is South Korea but even that is not definite:

38% of those Koreans say don't know,
35% say enemy,
23% say partner,
4% don't know.

When you consider who China aligns itself with (Pakistan and North Korea) it's really not suprising to see that India and South Korea would think that way.

LOL - Which graph are you reading?

It is blatantly clear that from the first chart that....

of the 21 countries surveyed, the only countries where the unfavourable view is prevailant is France, Germany, Turkey, South Korea, India and Japan.

From the 3rd graph - Of these 6 countries, only India sees China as a real enemy:

44% of those Indians say enemy,
32% say partner,
13% say neither and 10% say don't know.

The only other country that regards China as a enemy is South Korea but even that is not definite:

38% of those Koreans say don't know,
35% say enemy,
23% say partner,
4% don't know.

When you consider who China aligns itself with (Pakistan and North Korea) it's really not suprising to see that India and South Korea would think that way.

are you kidding what you think peoples run any country

do you think japan France USA Israel are happy with china growth

wake up :smitten:

i like when my frind walk but i don't like when he run fast then me

are you kidding what you think peoples run any country

do you think japan France USA Israel are happy with china growth

wake up :smitten:

i like when my frind walk but i don't like when he run fast then me

Your comment is heavily flawed.

1) No one is happy with anyone else's growth.

2) The Japanese economy reviltalized from decades of stagnation after the rise of the Chinese labor market. Japanese products were extremely uncompetitive in the 80 and 90s. Their economy began to expand slightly last decade mainly due to the razor-thin profit margins they were able to squeeze out from their products made in China. You must've entered school after the 80s to not know that.

3) If you have been to France, you know that they despise the US and former colonies of the west with a passion. You will find the results quiet disheartening if India was polled in France.

4) Iran is Israel's last mission and they know it. That is why the Israelis aren't risking their lives to fight Iran; they know that their usefulness is going to expire afterwards. Why in the world would anyone support Jews in the first place?

5) As for India, I heard you guys' economy will fall back to the 12th place next year...

Last edited:
Your comment is heavily flawed.

1) No one is happy with anyone else's growth

2) The Japanese economy reviltalized from decades of stagnation after the rise of the Chinese labor market. Japanese products were extremely uncompetitive in the 80 and 90s. Their economy began to expand slightly last decade mainly due to the razor-thin profit margins they were able to squish out from their products made in China.

3) If you have been to France, you know that they despise the US and former western colonies with a passion. You will find the results quiet disheartening if India was polled in France.

4) Iran is Israel's last mission and they know it. That is why the Israelis aren't risking their lives to fight Iran; they know that their usefulness is going to expire afterwards. Why in the world would anyone support Jews in the first place?

5) As for India, I heard you guys' economy will fall back to the 12th place next year...

well well so you are pandit and you know our economy fall next year to 12th place :rofl:

well new equations is taking place so you cant say who is friend or enemy

I'd be interested to see how Australian citizens would have answered these questions, I have a feeling that the Australians are more sinophobic than many other countries from the rest of the world even though their economy is reliant on China.

Not really surprised as countries that are hostile to China tends to be those that China has overtaken economically or about to overtake in recent years. It's normal to feel threatened.

Well be interesting to do the survey again when China's GDP is similar to that of US.

Back
Top Bottom