What's new

Pervez Musharraf vows return to 'suffering' Pakistan during visit to US

S_O_C_O_M

Reaction score
Pervez Musharraf vows return to 'suffering' Pakistan during visit to US

Speaking at Aspen Ideas Festival, the former Pakistan president said he will return despite Interpol arrest warrant

Sunday 1 July 2012 10.03 EDT

Pervez-Musharraf-007.jpg

Former Pakistani president Pervez Musharraf told supporters on Sunday from Dubai that he was returning by the end of January to prepare for elections. Photograph: Jumana El Heloueh/Reuters

Former Pakistan president Pervez Musharraf has shrugged off his country's repeated calls for Interpol to arrest him, insisting during an appearance in the US on Saturday that he will return of his own accord.

At the Aspen Ideas Festival in Colorado, Musharraf said the present government was "running Pakistan into the ground" and said he will risk arrest by returning for elections this year "for the people of Pakistan".

Musharraf's appearance came just days after Pakistan's federal intelligence agency sent a second reminder to Interpol to arrest the former president, who it says is a "proclaimed offender" in the assassination of Benazir Bhutto in 2007.

"I know I see Pakistan and I know it has all the potential to do well for itself, now at this moment it's being run to the ground," said Musharraf, who lives in the UK and Dubai.

"Therefore I love my country and I love the people of Pakistan, and I thought I must go back to at least try to recover from this malaise that it is suffering from."

Musharraf, a four-star general who became chief executive of Pakistan in a military coup in 1999 before ascending to the presidency in 2001, resigned in 2008 when he was facing threat of impeachment from opposition parties.

He went into self-imposed exile after his resignation, but this year Pakistan has twice contacted Interpol to remind the international organisation there is an arrest warrant for Musharraf, who is charged with treason and conspiracy to commit murder of the popular Bhutto.

But speaking in Aspen, Musharraf repeated his previous assertions that he would return voluntarily, "even at risk to my life".

At one point the former president openly weighed up the pros and cons of a military coup in the regal setting of the Aspen ideas institute, saying that while Pakistan's constitution is "sacrosanct", "the state is being run to the ground at the moment, and people are again running to the military to save the country".

"Should we save the country, and do something unconstitutional, or uphold the constitution of the country, and let the state go down?"

In a wide-ranging interview with Atlantic Media Company owner David Bradley, Musharraf reminisced about travelling to Iran in 2004 in an attempt to dissuade President Ahmadinejad and the Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei from pursuing nuclear weapons.

Musharraf discussed talking to Ahmadinejad and Khamenei in 2004

"You should not adopt a confrontational course, you should adopt a conciliatory course, for the sake of the world and the region," Musharraf recalled telling Ahmadenijad, however the Iranian president did not listen to Musharraf's suggestion.

"They are determined to develop a nuclear arsenal, although I do not think they have a reason to develop," Musharraf said.

"Iran has not posed any threat, therefore they do not need to go nuclear."

The former president did not give specific dates for his return to Pakistan. He has previously said he would return in January this year and then in March, but on both occasions remained in his self-imposed exile.

Musharraf hopes to lead his All Pakistan Muslim League party's campaign in Pakistan's 2013-scheduled elections.

Pervez Musharraf vows return to 'suffering' Pakistan during visit to US | World news | guardian.co.uk

even thought i liked musharraf during his days, but he must just give up, he is in no position to stand up, he is too much imagining, only chance is if martial law comes and he is appointed as prime minister like what he did with shaukat aziz..

honestly i like the person but i think he has lost that time frame to come back and "capture the market" which Imran Khan has been doing

hearing same bs from last 5 yrs. Even if he started walking, he could have reached pakistan now.
Who asked you, its not for you give your dam comments, you are a indian & you don't have any dam right to give any comment, against a pakistani politician!
Try world affairs thread, this is 100% pakistani thread.
Can we think anything , about sonia, she is still a beauty.

Who asked you, its not for you give your dam comments, you are a indian & you don't have any dam right to give any comment, against a pakistani politician!

I don't mind if you want sonia......... for that matter no one from india.

I can live with Musharaf he was not that bad , economy had positive turn in his 10 years term

I think Ideally for Pakistan , a coalition between Musharaf and Tehreek e insaf is ideal for country with Tehreek taking lead role but Musharaf taking active part in economic side

oh not again...

Oh no not again.. What???

He was the reason why India was shitting out their dippers. You are scared again I know.

I can live with Musharaf he was not that bad , economy had positive turn in his 10 years term

I think Ideally for Pakistan , a coalition between Musharaf and Tehreek e insaf is ideal for country with Tehreek taking lead role but Musharaf taking active part in economic side

Good views, I think it can be more better.

Indian's love to make a mess of everything & their propaganda is the funniest. I will stick with the word "Jabroni" for them.

Oh no not again.. What???

He was the reason why India was shitting out their dippers. You are scared again I know.

Good views, I think it can be more better.

Indian's love to make a mess of everything & their propaganda is the funniest. I will stick with the word "Jabroni" for them.

He is only scared, thats why he is residing in london after resigning from the post of president, I wont be surprised if any pakistan members again claim that he is a visiting professor who is currently taking lectures for some british universities.

he did gud things till 2005-06 after that he have sell his soul. " u know what im talking about "

What he did to our countrys attacking our mosques, selling our sister to America, gift of war which we lost a decade still dont know how long it will go and given the precious gift of drones etc.

these things are very hard to remove from memories, worst dictator he is GHADAR no place for him in Pakistan forget about the Presidency seat

he did gud things till 2005-06 after that he have sell his soul. " u know what im talking about "

What he did to our countrys attacking our mosques, selling our sister to America, gift of war which we lost a decade still dont know how long it will go and given the precious gift of drones etc.

these things are very hard to remove from memories, worst dictator he is GHADAR no place for him in Pakistan forget about the Presidency seat

He was not attacking your mosques, your 'brothers' from Al-Qaida and Taliban are doing that and you are absolutly fine with getting slaughtered. And wait, that your sister who is currently US jail, who left her Husband to marry a 9/11 attackers' brother? While so, those 9/11 attackers were your brothers too?

LOL who is talking ... he is convict on fled his country. He is responsible for lot of miseries faced by Pakistani awam and forces on daily basis and has no moral ground to blabber about well being of Pakistanis.

Let him stay out side and shed crocodile tears!!

Back
Top Bottom