What's new

Per capita GDP at current prices - US Dollars

Exactly and at this rate India will soon surpass Pakistan's per Capita GDP

Good for you.

Not all nations grow at the same pace.

My point was that linkin's comment about 'down the drain' was unnecessary and inaccurate.

Good for you.

Not all nations grow at the same pace.

My point was that linkin's comment about 'down the drain' was unnecessary and inaccurate.

Yes, I agree that was rude of me (I have removed those comments). India is going faster than Pakistan and if the present growth rates are sustained, India will overtake per capita figures.

Yes, I agree that was rude of me (I have removed those comments). India is going faster than Pakistan and if the present growth rates are sustained, India will overtake per capita figures.

Hmmm... Let me give you a simple example. China is having double digit growth rate for the last two decades still their per capita 1740. How about South Korea/Singapore and other asian nation which had a growth rate of 6-8% for 10 to 15 years and became a developed country with a per capita 30000 or more.
What it tells??? Pakistan has a advantegous position of becoming a developed country if it could reach out to its poor people through social development as being a smaller country. India has a long way to go!!! Its not easy to educated more than 1 billion people, reach out to people in every corner of country and bring the modern civil facilities to them.
We have to wait another century to see India enjoying per capita income close to USA even though their economy may surpass USA in a cumalative manner.
If PK cant do that, nobody else to blame but the PK leadership. In the current scenario I dont see PK anywhere near Korea in near future or within this century.

^^^It all boils down to the population numbers when you have around same growth rates.

UNdata | record view

apologies for the late response. Have been out.

The idea is not to compare the two countries, but just to know that the Pakistan economy is not as bad as portrayed by the media these days. Things are going to take a big hit next year, but hopefully will improve.

Indians are excited to see the 'evil' neighbor in financial troubles and found a perfect excuse in the Mumbai tragedy to put pressure and exploit the situation.

UNdata | record view

apologies for the late response. Have been out.

The idea is not to compare the two countries, but just to know that the Pakistan economy is not as bad as portrayed by the media these days. Things are going to take a big hit next year, but hopefully will improve.

Indians are excited to see the 'evil' neighbor in financial troubles and found a perfect excuse in the Mumbai tragedy to put pressure and exploit the situation.

Yes thats a sad way of realizing thing. But if you pay little attention to my previous post, you should find that Pakistan should put more resources on Social development. Only by achieving 100% literacy will make Pakistan with a per capita income 2500 or above, even if you stop building any industry or trying to earn more money from Export. If you are curious.. I could explain further...

Yes thats a sad way of realizing thing. But if you pay little attention to my previous post, you should find that Pakistan should put more resources on Social development. Only by achieving 100% literacy will make Pakistan with a per capita income 2500 or above, even if you stop building any industry or trying to earn more money from Export. If you are curious.. I could explain further...

I know where you are coming from because I am from academic sector and I agree with you.

We can even learn a few lessons from Mr. Manmohan Singh's efforts during the last decade.

Per capita income is good standard to measure life style of people but its doesn't tell about disparity in wealth distribution among people.

India need to reduce its population because no matter how high GDP goes if population is high,there will not be adequate facilities for citizens.
current birthrate is 2.4 which should be around 2.0 to reduce population explosion.

Pakistan has golden opportunity to grow fast,before india because it has right population figure. she is not able to exploit it because of bad governance throughout the history. Current situation is really dangerous for her,if it goes more than 3 years there is pretty much chance of civil war.

Per capita income is good standard to measure life style of people but its doesn't tell about disparity in wealth distribution among people.

India need to reduce its population because no matter how high GDP goes if population is high,there will not be adequate facilities for citizens.
current birthrate is 2.4 which should be around 2.0 to reduce population explosion.

Pakistan has golden opportunity to grow fast,before india because it has right population figure. she is not able to exploit it because of bad governance throughout the history. Current situation is really dangerous for her,if it goes more than 3 years there is pretty much chance of civil war.

Agreed, but there is a bit of difference between GDP per capita and per capita income.

I am risking an attack from 'patriotic' Pakistanis but we do need to downsize our military to be a financially viable country.

Agreed, but there is a bit of difference between GDP per capita and per capita income.

I am risking an attack from 'patriotic' Pakistanis but we do need to downsize our military to be a financially viable country.

Well, you again going towards to blaming a particular issue as such military. It is also possible but not recommended to have a high expenditure in military together with high growth rate and improve human resource index through good governance. Korea as well as Taiwan did not spend anything less in military than Pakistan. Military also could contribute to the economy, create jobs and industry. But need right policy and have the competence in executing them.

The correct data for 2007:

GDP per capita (nominal):
IMF Data
India: 942
Pakistan: 909

World Bank Data
India: 1,042
Pakistan: 884

CIA fact book
India: 973
Pakistan: 849

GDP per capita (PPP):
IMF Data
India: 2,563
Pakistan: 2,594

World Bank Data
India: 2,753
Pakistan: 2,525

CIA fact book
India: 2,600
Pakistan: 2,400

Sources: You can use the reference links in these page to view the corresponding institutions data
List of countries by GDP (nominal) per capita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
List of countries by GDP (PPP) per capita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The correct data for 2007:

GDP per capita (nominal):
IMF Data
India: 942
Pakistan: 909

World Bank Data
India: 1,042
Pakistan: 884

CIA fact book
India: 973
Pakistan: 849

GDP per capita (PPP):
IMF Data
India: 2,563
Pakistan: 2,594

World Bank Data
India: 2,753
Pakistan: 2,525

CIA fact book
India: 2,600
Pakistan: 2,400

Sources: You can use the reference links in these page to view the corresponding institutions data
List of countries by GDP (nominal) per capita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
List of countries by GDP (PPP) per capita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good post But I would still recommend you providing links from IMF,WB, CIA Fact book.

-GP

Hi, I am new in this forum:welcome::tup:

All the figures stated above are as per current GDP. In is not much important.
To actually make a conclusion from these we should convert them into PPP(Purchasing Power Parity). This is because a US dollar in India is more valuable than it is in Pakistan. (This is because pakistan has a very high inflation.) So the actual figure are as follows:

India PPP 2008:5.21 trillion $(per capita=4341$) population=1.2 billion approx
Pakistan PPP 2008:504.3 billion $(per capita=3320$) population= 152 million approx

please comment

Thanks for the insight. These figures still support the idea that Pakistan's economy has not 'gone to dogs' or 'devastated' or 'failed' as portrayed by the media (although not at all as good as India).

all my fiends every one has missed a point here GDP are interms of $.

India Rs is trading at 45-48 and Pakistan Rs is trading at 78-80.

in this two years Pakistan Rs has depricated 40%.
Even if pakistan economy grows but its depricating with respect to $ will not help per capita per head in terms of $.

So pakistan need to make strong ruupee with $
for this they need to decreese trad defect of imorts and exports.

they did may wrongs things which can not be corrected
for example free trade agreement with china.
see how much china imports from pakistan and how much china exports to Pakistan.

Cost of manifacturing pencile in pakistan is 18 but imported from china is 6.
evey one know china slowly distroy's low imports with its imports of cheap goods and then with not alternative they will raise price.
same thing happend in US.

Pakistan need to think.

^^^ GDP figures mentioned are in USD - rupee depreciation and inflation are factored in typically when calculating GDP growth or numbers, AFAIK.

Back
Top Bottom