What's new

PayPal is not coming to Pakistan anytime soon

Sir, China has isolated itself on many fronts because they are patriots and dedicated to lift their own world. We are not like them neither are we their pawns or kids. PayPal, if arrives here, will first & foremost, benefit the huge pool of high earning freelancers we have here. They struggle to bring their money back and get paid on major sites which ise paypal. Unlike China, we cannot abandon the world.

PayPal is not free and except for benefit of freelancers and for purchase of items from western countries it does not offer any material advantage over competitive systems from China for our local e-commerce environment.

We need to build our local e-commerce environment and payment system first and this is me speaking as someone who has spent 9+ years in financial services industry and several more years previously as a freelancer.

Once we do that and our economy is more documented then more foreign players like paypal will come running to us to get a piece of the pie.

Paypal is not coming for now. We should move on and cater to majority of the population which is still unbanked instead of waiting another decade.

It is like going for a rishta of local Chaudhary sb's daughter again and again and keep getting humiliated. However instead of moving on you approach again and ask Chaudhary sb ke

Fir main naa hi samjhaan!

My previous post to clarify the local payment scene and paypal:

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/payp...istan-it-minister.618765/page-4#post-11464654

Another thread:

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/imra...ring-paypal-to-pakistan.638617/#post-11818749

I agree. This is the part where playing the guardian of the Muslim ummah comes back and bites Pakistan on the ***. Do we know which countries paypal operates in?
What problem do you really have with the concept of Muslim Ummah? Come on, just enlighten us today.
Paypal is blackmailing Pakistan, its Pakistans incompetency(or may the CSS, MA English Guys sitting in large offices of Pakistan), it has nothing to do with Ummah concept.
And what FATF has to do with Paypal issue? @VCheng

PayPal is not free and except for benefit of freelancers and for purchase of items from western countries it does not offer any material advantage over competitive systems from China for our local e-commerce environment.

We need to build our local e-commerce environment and payment system first and this is me speaking as someone who has spent 9+ years in financial services industry and several more years previously as a freelancer.

Once we do that and our economy is more documented then more foreign players like paypal will come running to us to get a piece of the pie.

Paypal is not coming for now. We should move on and cater to majority of the population which is still unbanked instead of waiting another decade.

It is like going for a rishta of local Chaudhary sb's daughter again and again and keep getting humiliated. However instead of moving on you approach again and ask Chaudhary sb ke

Fir main naa hi samjhaan!

My previous post to clarify the local payment scene and paypal:

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/payp...istan-it-minister.618765/page-4#post-11464654

Another thread:

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/imra...ring-paypal-to-pakistan.638617/#post-11818749
Thank you very much for your detailed reply. Appreciated and learnt

I suspect PayPal will not get involved with any country on the FATF grey list.
You suspect wrong. Many countries are in grey list and in Paypal at a same time. Poray harami pan k sath. Ham Pakistani log dertay rehtay hain.
Paypal ka ilaj aisa mumkin hai keh CEO mertay waqt bhi Pakistan ko yad karyga. Hamari kamzori hai keh yeh gali k tuchy bhi ham se khail rahy hain.

Pakistan doesn’t follow a banking standard and anyone with money and power can open a bank to do money laundering. We need a proper standard with correct protocols, polices and procedures. We need infrastructure with network security measures to prevent any illegal activities including hacking.

You suspect wrong. Many countries are in grey list and in Paypal at a same time. Poray harami pan k sath. Ham Pakistani log dertay rehtay hain.
Paypal ka ilaj aisa mumkin hai keh CEO mertay waqt bhi Pakistan ko yad karyga. Hamari kamzori hai keh yeh gali k tuchy bhi ham se khail rahy hain.

If PayPal has operations, it may continue them despite the country being on the grey list, but surely one can understand its reluctance on going into a new country afresh with said country already being on the grey list. I am sure that Pakistan would have explained your point in its negotiations with PayPal. This is all speculation from my side, of course. Please feel free to ignore it.

Last edited:
I suspect PayPal will not get involved with any country on the FATF grey list.
Yea, i'm worried its about FATF. for one, Nigeria has paypal already, so why not Pakistan. granted, Nigerian paypal is only for people to pay merchants, not other individuals, but still, Pakistan should have that at least too. Paypal doesnt want to come out and say they are losing profits by not operating in Pakistan...but US govt has "told"/influenced them what to do so thats that..

You suspect wrong. Many countries are in grey list and in Paypal at a same time. .
Can you please give us some examples of those countries?

This is obviously political. PayPal will lose out and other alternatives will takes its place.

Yea, i'm worried its about FATF. for one, Nigeria has paypal already, so why not Pakistan. granted, Nigerian paypal is only for people to pay merchants, not other individuals, but still, Pakistan should have that at least too. Paypal doesnt want to come out and say they are losing profits by not operating in Pakistan...but US govt has "told"/influenced them what to do so thats that..

Can you please give us some examples of those countries?

100% correct. The move is politically motivated. We have to understand that US Pakistan relations are marred with distrust and ugliness. Makes perfect sense for PayPal not do business in Pakistan. PayPal doesn't have the guts to admit the truth. Instead they are posing rubbish lies.

If PayPal are losing out on profits from a 220 million strong market, then it is their loss, and not Pakistan's.

If PayPal are losing out on profits from a 220 million strong market, then it is their loss, and not Pakistan's.

The risk is greater than the profit. What percentage of 220 million people will be using PayPal in Pakistan? If a crime is committed, do we have the infrastructure to catch the thiefs or laws to prosecute them?

Computers in Government offices are most vulnerable and can be hacked with kiddie script. Unlicensed and 3rd Party softwares are installed (which are sharing information), people are using social media on work computers and IT teams are pretty useless. It takes lots research to block/close all the backdoor in Windows.

Whoever is doing IT support need to take a vanilla image, install all softwares & application including anti-virus software, patch and block/close all backdoors and deploy that image to all computers. F5, Palo Aalto, Fortinet are good application layer firewalls that government should consider installing.
I think government is using riverbed products, not sure if they are using it for web content.

Last edited:
banking sector is unreilable and corrupt..
paypal is not a must, any payment system that is easily available will do, govt nees to step forward in this regard

The risk is greater than the profit. What percentage of 220 million people will be using PayPal in Pakistan? If a crime is committed, do we have the infrastructure to catch the thiefs or laws to prosecute them?

Computers in Government offices are most vulnerable and can be hacked with kiddie script. Unlicensed and 3rd Party softwares are installed (which are sharing information), people are using social media on work computers and IT teams are pretty useless. It takes lots research to block/close all the backdoor in Windows.

Whoever is doing IT support need to take a vanilla image, install all softwares & application including anti-virus software, patch and block/close all backdoors and deploy that image to all computers. F5, Palo Aalto, Fortinet are good application layer firewalls that government should consider installing.
I think government is using riverbed products, not sure if they are using it for web content.

May be that is why PayPal said no to Pakistan.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom