What's new

Parents planning marrige

Adwitiya

BANNED
Reaction score
damn my parents are planning marrige for me and i am trying to run away from it. lol i said i would marry in 2012. may be on dec 20. i dont want to die bachelor and dont want to be married. world is gonna be over on 21 dec 2012:woot::lol:

anyways i am afraid of all these rituals you need to do all so many things just to get a girl.................................... :no:

13 Steps of a Vedic Marriage Ceremony
While various regional steps are followed by different sects of Hindus across India, the following 13 steps form the core of a Vedic wedding ceremony:

* Vara Satkaarah - Reception of the bridegroom and his kinsmen at the entrance gate of the wedding hall where the officiating priest chants a few mantras and the bride's mother blesses the groom with rice and trefoil and applies tilak of vermilion and turmeric powder.
* Madhuparka Ceremony - Reception of the bridegroom at the altar and bestowing of presents by the bride's father.
* Kanya Dan - The bride's father gives away his daughter to the groom amidst the chanting of sacred mantras.
* Vivah-Homa - The sacred fire ceremony ascertaining that all auspicious undertakings are begun in an atmosphere of purity and spirituality.
* Pani-Grahan - The groom takes the right hand of the bride in his left hand and accepts her as his lawfully wedded wife.
* Pratigna-Karan - The couple walk round the fire, the bride leading, and take solemn vows of loyalty, steadfast love and life-long fidelity to each other.
* Shila Arohan - The mother of the bride assists her to step onto a stone slab and counsels her to prepare herself for a new life.
* Laja-Homah - Puffed rice offered as oblations into the sacred fire by the bride while keeping the palms of her hands over those of the groom.
* Parikrama or Pradakshina or Mangal Fera - The couple circles the sacred fire seven times. This aspect of the ceremony legalizes the marriage according to the Hindu Marriage Act as well custom.
* Saptapadi - Marriage knot symbolized by tying one end of the groom's scarf with the bride's dress. Then they take seven steps representing nourishment, strength, prosperity, happiness, progeny, long life and harmony and understanding, respectively.
* Abhishek - Sprinkling of water, meditating on the sun and the pole star.
* Anna Praashan - The couple make food offerings into the fire then feed a morsel of food to each other expressing mutual love and affection.
* Aashirvadah - Benediction by the elders.

The 7 Blessings of a Hindu Wedding

he Hindu ceremony, a rite known as 'samskara', has many components and it is quite beautiful, specific and filled with chanting, Sanskrit blessings and ritual that is thousands of years old. In India, it can last weeks or days. In the West, it typically is at least two hours long.

It is the role of the Hindu priest or 'pandit' to lead a couple and their families through the sacrament of marriage. However, as an interfaith minister, I’ve had the good fortune of being called upon by Hindu brides and grooms and couples who love Hindu rituals, to incorporated some of the rites into non-denominational, interfaith or multi-faith ceremonies.

An important aspect of the Hindu ceremony is to light a sacred fire, created from 'ghee' (clarified butter) and woolen wicks, to evoke the God, Agni (Fire God), to bear witness to the ceremony.

The highlight is 'Saptapadi', also called the 'Seven Steps'. Here, traditionally the bride’s sari is tied to the groom’s kurta, or a sari shawl might be draped from his shoulder to her sari. He leads, her pinky linked with his pinky, in seven steps around the fire, as the priest chants the seven blessings or vows for a strong union. By walking around the fire they are agreeing to these. With each step, they throw small bits of puffed rice into the fire, representing prosperity in their new life together. This is considered the most important part of the ceremony, it seals the bond forever.

A nice way to adapt this into a creative, contemporary ceremony is to light a traditional fire, or use a candle, placed on a small table in front of the wedding altar. Bride and groom can be in tux and white dress as they take seven steps while seven blessings are spoken in English. Here are Seven Blessings adapted from a Hindu ceremony.

1. May this couple be blessed with an abundance of resources and comforts, and be helpful to one another in all ways.

2. May this couple be strong and complement one another.

3. May this couple be blessed with prosperity and riches on all levels.

4. May this couple be eternally happy.

5. May this couple be blessed with a happy family life.

6. May this couple live in perfect harmony… true to their personal values and their joint promises.

7. May this couple always be the best of friends.

One thing I appreciate about the Hindu ceremony is that bride and groom come to the altar as God and Goddess, in human form. In many parts of India the bride is considered Lakshmi, Goddess of Fortune, and groom is her consort Vishnu, the Great Preserver.

:devil:You cant run far away. They will come get you.:flame:

Btw how is our garibnawaz doing? :bunny::lol:

:devil:You cant run far away. They will come get you.:flame:

Btw how is our garibnawaz doing? :bunny::lol:

everytime i go home a album is ready. damn.....:angel:

hey what happened to garibnawaz. did he got married or what? finally trapped and i think he is missing since then:woot:

Go for it dude. It ain't as bad as people believe it to be.

Marriage is one of the best experiences one could have. You get one partner that would be by our side in all the ups and downs of your life. You might not realize her importance now but in the future when your friends get busy with their own lives, you'd miss a partner.

Get married to a nice girl. Do test her properly. Go out with her, talk to her, even her friends, know her before tying the knot. One good decision today will serve you for lifetime.

I wish I could marry today. My girlfriend is 5000 miles away and I miss her badly now. :cry:

Congrats!!! :hitwall: :cry: =me.

damn my parents are planning marrige for me and i am trying to run away from it. lol i said i would marry in 2012. may be on dec 20. i dont want to die bachelor and dont want to be married. world is gonna be over on 21 dec 2012:woot::lol:

I feel sorry for you and jealous as well! :tongue:

anyways i am afraid of all these rituals you need to do all so many things just to get a girl.................................... :no:
They are scary but enjoyable as well.

13 Steps of a Vedic Marriage Ceremony
While various regional steps are followed by different sects of Hindus across India, the following 13 steps form the core of a Vedic wedding ceremony:

* Vara Satkaarah - Reception of the bridegroom and his kinsmen at the entrance gate of the wedding hall where the officiating priest chants a few mantras and the bride's mother blesses the groom with rice and trefoil and applies tilak of vermilion and turmeric powder.
* Madhuparka Ceremony - Reception of the bridegroom at the altar and bestowing of presents by the bride's father.
* Kanya Dan - The bride's father gives away his daughter to the groom amidst the chanting of sacred mantras.
* Vivah-Homa - The sacred fire ceremony ascertaining that all auspicious undertakings are begun in an atmosphere of purity and spirituality.
* Pani-Grahan - The groom takes the right hand of the bride in his left hand and accepts her as his lawfully wedded wife.
* Pratigna-Karan - The couple walk round the fire, the bride leading, and take solemn vows of loyalty, steadfast love and life-long fidelity to each other.
* Shila Arohan - The mother of the bride assists her to step onto a stone slab and counsels her to prepare herself for a new life.
* Laja-Homah - Puffed rice offered as oblations into the sacred fire by the bride while keeping the palms of her hands over those of the groom.
* Parikrama or Pradakshina or Mangal Fera - The couple circles the sacred fire seven times. This aspect of the ceremony legalizes the marriage according to the Hindu Marriage Act as well custom.
* Saptapadi - Marriage knot symbolized by tying one end of the groom's scarf with the bride's dress. Then they take seven steps representing nourishment, strength, prosperity, happiness, progeny, long life and harmony and understanding, respectively.
* Abhishek - Sprinkling of water, meditating on the sun and the pole star.
* Anna Praashan - The couple make food offerings into the fire then feed a morsel of food to each other expressing mutual love and affection.
* Aashirvadah - Benediction by the elders.

The 7 Blessings of a Hindu Wedding

he Hindu ceremony, a rite known as 'samskara', has many components and it is quite beautiful, specific and filled with chanting, Sanskrit blessings and ritual that is thousands of years old. In India, it can last weeks or days. In the West, it typically is at least two hours long.

It is the role of the Hindu priest or 'pandit' to lead a couple and their families through the sacrament of marriage. However, as an interfaith minister, I’ve had the good fortune of being called upon by Hindu brides and grooms and couples who love Hindu rituals, to incorporated some of the rites into non-denominational, interfaith or multi-faith ceremonies.

An important aspect of the Hindu ceremony is to light a sacred fire, created from 'ghee' (clarified butter) and woolen wicks, to evoke the God, Agni (Fire God), to bear witness to the ceremony.

The highlight is 'Saptapadi', also called the 'Seven Steps'. Here, traditionally the bride’s sari is tied to the groom’s kurta, or a sari shawl might be draped from his shoulder to her sari. He leads, her pinky linked with his pinky, in seven steps around the fire, as the priest chants the seven blessings or vows for a strong union. By walking around the fire they are agreeing to these. With each step, they throw small bits of puffed rice into the fire, representing prosperity in their new life together. This is considered the most important part of the ceremony, it seals the bond forever.

A nice way to adapt this into a creative, contemporary ceremony is to light a traditional fire, or use a candle, placed on a small table in front of the wedding altar. Bride and groom can be in tux and white dress as they take seven steps while seven blessings are spoken in English. Here are Seven Blessings adapted from a Hindu ceremony.

1. May this couple be blessed with an abundance of resources and comforts, and be helpful to one another in all ways.

2. May this couple be strong and complement one another.

3. May this couple be blessed with prosperity and riches on all levels.

4. May this couple be eternally happy.

5. May this couple be blessed with a happy family life.

6. May this couple live in perfect harmony… true to their personal values and their joint promises.

7. May this couple always be the best of friends.

One thing I appreciate about the Hindu ceremony is that bride and groom come to the altar as God and Goddess, in human form. In many parts of India the bride is considered Lakshmi, Goddess of Fortune, and groom is her consort Vishnu, the Great Preserver.

I also like the mantra of Vivah. Some of them are wonderful their meanings also great.

BTW me also going same path by early next year. :yahoo:

Go for it dude. It ain't as bad as people believe it to be.

Marriage is one of the best experiences one could have. You get one partner that would be by our side in all the ups and downs of your life. You might not realize her importance now but in the future when your friends get busy with their own lives, you'd miss a partner.

Get married to a nice girl. Do test her properly. Go out with her, talk to her, even her friends, know her before tying the knot. One good decision today will serve you for lifetime.

I wish I could marry today. My girlfriend is 5000 miles away and I miss her badly now. :cry:

Mate i have seen my friends. Before marrige you are the master. No booz no late night hang out. And above all chunnu ki chachi ki behan mujhe ye kah rahi thi as you return from your work.

Congrats!!! :hitwall: :cry: =me.

I feel sorry for you and jealous as well! :tongue:

They are scary but enjoyable as well.

I also like the mantra of Vivah. Some of them are wonderful their meanings also great.

BTW me also going same path by early next year. :yahoo:

Na dont be jealous. My married frens feel jealous. Lol i can still burn the roads of delhi late in night with chick on back. At 3 in morning can still sit on a dhaba with laptop and discuss a presentation next day or new biz plan.

Mantra are good especially when you make 7 promises

So that is why the forum let you come back. They knew you would be getting married and won't be able to do much damage. :rofl:

On a serioue note get married. Its the best thing that shall happen to you and hopefully you shall become responsible.

On an even serious note don't listen to those who tell you to test the girl before marrying. That way you won't select any girl. Remember every body has good and bad habbits. Just take your chance. If you are lucky you shall survive.

So that is why the forum let you come back. They knew you would be getting married and won't be able to do much damage. :rofl:

On a serioue note get married. Its the best thing that shall happen to you and hopefully you shall become responsible.

On an even serious note don't listen to those who tell you to test the girl before marrying. That way you won't select any girl. Remember every body has good and bad habbits. Just take your chance. If you are lucky you shall survive.

sir ji are you married?

well if you are scared of all those rituals then go for the court marriage :cheers:

and if you really wanna run away from wedding and stay a bachelor then tell your parents that you are gay :P

Back
Top Bottom