What's new

Pakistan's Submarine Procurement

Thats sounds Intresting NUTUK ... They had to work fast on this project 1st sub must be assmebled in Pakistan in 2 years or sooo ..

The development of various subsystems have already been started up, about 20 subsystems.
Aselsan works on torpedo jammers:

Torpedo counter measure system:

Other systems are flank array radar, UUV, PAP ROV, sonar

The development of various subsystems have already been started up, about 20 subsystems.
Aselsan works on torpedo jammers:

Torpedo counter measure system:

Other systems are flank array radar, UUV, PAP ROV, sonar
awesome! sir can you tell us about the future of the U-214 in turkey? what turkey plans to do with it? do they plan to make an entirely new SSK in the future and will that be available to Pakistan for its future submarine requirement?

will they modify the U-214 in the future instead of making a totally new SSK? perhaps extend the hull, complete indigenization over subsystems, sonars, satellite link? if so, I'm hoping that would be a joint project between the two countries as hinted by turkish sources.

Pakistan is developing its own TAS for the submarine and corvette...I suspect the next phase would be a joint venture with Turkey in this regard.

When all the deciding factors are understood, one can then conclude why U214 outclasses Scorpene/Marlin for PN.

Last edited:
Pakistan is developing its own TAS for the submarine and corvette...I suspect the next phase would be a joint venture with Turkey in this regard.

IS that a responce to the Shark SKin tech ?

and what is TAS ?

TAS = Towed Array Sonar.

Shark-Skin is to do with hulls and design...

Well every country has to first of all look at its resources and needs before deciding which is the best option for them. Pakistan bought Agosta while India went for scorpene. Both countries must have a hard look at different options before decideng for the best option.
One thing should be kept in mind technology does not always win, prime example are Vietnam and Afghanistan!!!!

U-214 is a nice sub and would be a good addition in our existing submarine fleet
One thing is very inportant for Pakistan and that is; whichever submarine it would procure, it should have the capability to fire the Babur cruise missile, so that our stealth fleet could strike deep, well im not sure if PN still possess the technology to fire Babur coz no test has been conducted in this regard (e.g. PAF has conducted the test fire of Ra'ad)

I mean interfacing of our indigenous Cruise Missiles (Babur or some of its modified version) with the Subs would be key for PN

awesome! sir can you tell us about the future of the U-214 in turkey? what turkey plans to do with it? do they plan to make an entirely new SSK in the future and will that be available to Pakistan for its future submarine requirement?

will they modify the U-214 in the future instead of making a totally new SSK? perhaps extend the hull, complete indigenization over subsystems, sonars, satellite link? if so, I'm hoping that would be a joint project between the two countries as hinted by turkish sources.

Dear Asaad-ul-islam,
The best is ofcourse to master all the technology and build ships/submarines from scratch. In this way you can make the optimum custom made design. On ship technology Turkey has progressed quite far but on submarine technology we still need to learn a few things, thats the reason we chose an excellent existing design which we customize with some indigenous subsystems. The same we are doing with the A-129 mangusta attack helicopter, the hull and propulsion systems are an existing design all other things like avionics, fire control system, helmet mounted quing system etc. etc. will be Turkish systems. A complete different chopper with the same outside look, a chopper which we completely control.

On the extend of modification there are many plans, wether everything can be implemented is not sure yet cause most of the subsystems are in development phase. Special coatings are developped to make the submarine evenmore stealth (radar/sonar absorbing materials), sonars are in development. flank array radars, Satlink, cryptomessaging, underwater telephone, periscope, battle management system, fuell cells are some to name.

Why does Turkey put so much emphasis on indigenoising the systems one could ask? Why not purchasing all the stuff of the shelf (which might be cheaper) you could ask. Well the answer is simple, cheaper could become extremely expensive in the time you need it. An example is the Falkland war in which Argentina and Britain made war about the possesion of the Falkland islands. In the begin of the war Argentina succeeded in destroying some British ships with French Exocet missiles, but a week later none of the Exocet missiles functioned because France had given the necesarry codes to Britain. A crucial point that desided the turnout of the war, if Argentina had succeeded to destroy more British warships than Britain would have lost. Now that's the price to pay when you are solely dependent on foreign stuff.

Getting back to the Turkish attack helicopter program (which is now running more than 10 years now). In the year 2000/2001 Turkey chose the US made AH-1Z king Cobra helicopter, all arangements and agreements with the company Bell where made. Turkey would install her own avionics and main mission computer on the chopper, but then the US senate refused cause that would mean the US would have no control over the choppers anymore. Turkey did not take it and cancelled the tender, years later Turkey chose the A-129 to avoid the same like Argentina with her Exocet missiles. If you want to rely on your weaponry even during war, than you cannot leave the key control units of your systems in foreign hands. Depending on foreigners is suicidal!

Personally I would advice my Pakistani brothers to do the same, whatever system you purchase make sure you are controlling the technology of the key control systems. Whether you partner with Turkey or China in these developments (I think both countries are sincere in sharing these technologies) you've got to make sure to get that vital technology.

Back to our topic Marlin or U214, I think Pakistan based her decission on the above reasons, technology transfer and joint projects.

TAS = Towed Array Sonar.

Shark-Skin is to do with hulls and design...

:( sorry Mark

But didn't you read my previous post about shark skin technology on subs

I put a link of the acticle - I know that shark skins are to do with hulls and designs I was wondering if this technolgy will be incorperated ?

Nutuk what do you think ?

No, sharkskin coating is just experimental and secondly the submarines do not need more speed but more stealth. Turkish R&D programs concentrate more on radar absorbing materials and de-magnetization of the hull, the Milgem is getting a degausing system to de-magnatize the hull and may be applied also to the submarines.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom