What's new

Pakistan's Service Rifle (G-3, Type-56) Replacement Competition 2016.

Which rifle should win the competition?

• FN-SCAR-H

Votes: 241 42.9%
  • Beretta ARX-200

Votes: 62 11.0%
  • CZ-806 Bren2

Votes: 116 20.6%
  • Kalashnikov AK-103

Votes: 127 22.6%
  • Zavasta M21

Votes: 17 3.0%

• Total voters
That's not going to happen. We would have no tested these Guns in first place if we were planning to do that. One of these 5 Guns in trials would be selected as Pakistan's future assault rifle

Lets wait and see

CijkdTzXIAEOcKd.jpg

Is the added benefit of the 6.5mm worth the cost? Remember, POF already produces 7.62x51mm and 7.62x39mm, and it is a tried and tested caliber, such that even new rifle designs (such as the SCAR, BREN and ARX) are retaining them.

a quick question do you understand the advantages of the 6.5 mm Grendel clearly

a quick question do you understand the advantages of the 6.5 mm Grendel clearly
It is about the advantages of 6.5mm vs advantages of retaining the ammunition we have already in stock, in production, which we are good at, which we have tried and tested in battle field. That is what @Quwa is trying to guide you too, that is what almost everyone with any little bit real life experience of such matters will tell you. I hope you also do understand all that!!

It is about the advantages of 6.5mm vs advantages of retaining the ammunition we have already in stock, in production, which we are good at, which we have tried and tested in battle field. That is what @Quwa is trying to guide you too, that is what almost everyone with any little bit real life experience of such matters will tell you. I hope you also do understand all that!!

are you one of dem

yeah but isn't the 7.62 mm round heavy, i mean with a smaller round you can carry more of them, this would force more load onto our soldiers making them less agile and more vulnerable on the battlefield

any new news about the service rifle replacement competition

are you one of dem

yeah but isn't the 7.62 mm round heavy, i mean with a smaller round you can carry more of them, this would force more load onto our soldiers making them less agile and more vulnerable on the battlefield

any new news about the service rifle replacement competition
Yep - you can carry more 6.8mm rounds in a single magazine, thereby enabling you to carry less mags. The 6.8 also offers more punch than the 5.56. So it is a good round, no one was ever disputing that fact.

But it comes at a cost. For Pakistan, the cost is to basically switch out the bullets used by all 500,000 armed personnel to the new caliber, which in turn requires POF to re-tool its production, for the MoD and MoI to replace ammunition stocks, for our next rifle to be chambered for a round that the manufacturers themselves did not prepare for (so we'd have to foot R&D costs).

Despite the good offered by the 6.8mm round, even the U.S. hasn't bothered to switch over because of the added costs involved; those added costs could outweigh the round's inherent benefit. That said, if we ever come into the position of being able to make costly changes that bring us closer to perfection, then I am all for it; but we're just not there yet.

Last edited:
are you one of dem
I am one of those who are trying to look at the bigger and fuller picture rather then going all praise based on one or two advantages. :)

Sure it is. NO ONE is saying that 6.8 wont have its advantages. The debate is about comparing and weighting advantages of both types against each other. In that case, 7.62 outweigh 6.8 by a considerable margin. It does for Pakistan at least! Well it did for US too but that is not the point here.

The member who is favoring 6.5 Grendel should realize that the round is based on Soviet/Russian 7.62x39 and it has been debated that instead of purchasing this new expensive cartridge it is best to use the existing 7.62x39 as it will still deliver a heavier punch and PA is doing just that they are keeping 7.62x39 and x51 as well which is a smart move. 6.5 is being favored as a successor to 556 not 762 cartridges

The member who is favoring 6.5 Grendel should realize that the round is based on Soviet/Russian 7.62x39 and it has been debated that instead of purchasing this new expensive cartridge it is best to use the existing 7.62x39 as it will still deliver a heavier punch and PA is doing just that they are keeping 7.62x39 and x51 as well which is a smart move. 6.5 is being favored as a successor to 556 not 762 cartridges
Well during Army Chief visit to POF during which he was briefed about Gun trials he also inaugurated the production plant of 7.62 X 39 ammo. So POF is now producing 7.62 X 39.

Well during Army Chief visit to POF during which he was briefed about Gun trials he also inaugurated the production plant of 7.62 X 39 ammo. So POF is now producing 7.62 X 39.
we have been producing 7.62x39 it was used heavily in operations and before, we just upgraded the machines that produced the ammunition and expanded the production as well.

After FN SCAR I support this Gun. Well we don't have money otherwise FN SCAR could replace G3 and also giving real 7.62 X 51 Power to Special Forces and Infantry and this Gun can replace Type 56. I wish we had at least 50 Billion dollars as our budget

@balixd

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom