What's new

Pakistan's Service Rifle (G-3, Type-56) Replacement Competition 2016.

Which rifle should win the competition?

• FN-SCAR-H

Votes: 241 42.9%
  • Beretta ARX-200

Votes: 62 11.0%
  • CZ-806 Bren2

Votes: 116 20.6%
  • Kalashnikov AK-103

Votes: 127 22.6%
  • Zavasta M21

Votes: 17 3.0%

• Total voters
Pakistan is in talks for 7.62 X 51 caliber Rifle now and for that SCAR H and Berreta ARX 200 are the candidates you can check from any one if you like. Soon decision would be taken about that also. So please give me a break. Which ever rifle will be selected from these two that would also be produced at Pakistan and also will have permission to export

Zarvan bhai, I truly like HK-417 better than both of these options. Not sure why PA did not consider it. What is your opinion on HK-417? I think it would have made a formidable battle rifle.

Zarvan bhai, I truly like HK-417 better than both of these options. Not sure why PA did not consider it. What is your opinion on HK-417? I think it would have made a formidable battle rifle.
Germany Government is creating lot of problems for HK and other companies when they sell weapons to Muslim countries that is why they were avoided

HK said that they will no longer sell weapons to non NATO nations! I suppose they can make enough income from NATO nations

IMO the Bren was the second best weapon in this trial. The 807's is a great choice for 7.62x39. These are some of the improvements it has over the 806.

But i would still prefer a 7.62x39 Fn Scar variant over it any day, even more so if the Fn Scar it is selected in the 7.62x51 category, as it will increase weapon interchangeability and would decrees costs aswell. I would have said the same about the 806 but it does not have a 7.62x51 variant.

Will Pakistan choose 2 different caliber weapons?
7.62*51mm effectivenes far better than 7.62*39 mm.I read a Turkish engineer memories and he was saying in theoric there is not so much difference but in pratic there is a big difference.I mean 7.62*39mm and 7.62*51mm is not comparable.
in the early 2000's there was talk and rumours of changing caliber to 556. But that thought never materalised as COIN ops began and the cartridge that delivered the punch in knocking down terrorist was x39. It did the job extremely well as the doctrine in Pak army is shoot to kill not maim. so both 7.62 calibers are the standards now.

Give you? a break? seriously?

Pakistan is in talks for 7.62 X 51 caliber Rifle now and for that SCAR H and Berreta ARX 200 are the candidates you can check from any one if you like. Soon decision would be taken about that also. So please give me a break. Which ever rifle will be selected from these two that would also be produced at Pakistan and also will have permission to export

Wait is it a possibility that the SCAR would be supplied to more elite units of the pakistan army

For a 5.56, the recoil seems to be big. Strange.
it's also because it's slightly based of of the Kalashnikov design

For a 5.56, the recoil seems to be big. Strange.
this isn't the
CZ-806 Bren2
which has less recoil

Wait is it a possibility that the SCAR would be supplied to more elite units of the pakistan army

it's also because it's slightly based of of the Kalashnikov design

this isn't the
CZ-806 Bren2
which has less recoil
Not elite units but every one. Pakistan Army solider these days use two rifles G3 and Type 56 and both will be replaced. CZ 807 will replace Type 56 and talks are on for G3 replacement and for that Berreta ARX 200 and FN SCAR H are competing

CZ 807 is a gem of a weapon. It is basically a Scar inspired design with easy multi caliber (7.62x39 & 5.45x45) conversion. comes in 3 barrel lengths (8", 11", 14"). Manufactured by CZ (It's a statement in itself, people who know small arms know what CZ stands for), no power politics, no sanctions, comes with real TOT. what else do you need?

Regarding the caliber, 7.62X39 is an assault weapon category, which Pakistan needs "now" due to ongoing WOT. 7.62x51 is a battle field caliber, which we don't need "now". If I understand the PA mentality, it will NEVER go with two different OEM's because of obvious financial constraints. I suspect our deal would be to go for TOT for the x39 now with a contract for CZ to design a x51 caliber design per our requirements (in a specified time) with some common design features/parts across both platforms (like butt stock, trigger group, hand guard, rails, lower receiver (with slightly different specs) etc., transfer TOT for the additional parts to enable us to completely manufacture the two weapons at POF. This is exactly what we did in the past H&K G3 + HK MP5 + HK MP5K, all three weapons for three different rolls with many common parts and manufacturing processes. Optimum utilisation of investment.
I think this will be the most likely course of action as well.

Yes, the CZ-807 is being selected to replace the Type 56 initially, but there is no reason why the PA and POF wouldn't work with CZ to get a 7.62x51 mm BREN down the line.

If folks want the SCAR-H on the premise that a 7.62x39 SCAR would come down the line, I'm not sure why the reverse scenario wouldn't be applicable to the BREN. Sticking to the BREN will enable the armed forces to train for one rifle and for POF to efficiently - and cost-effectively - manufacture one platform.

We are opting for two rifles one for 7.62 X 39 caliber and one for 7.62 X 51 caliber so one has been selected and talks for other one are taking place and we may hear about the winner soon.
Yes i think this may be true and 7.62x51 option may be MPT-76 too.
For type56 CZ Bren
For G3 MPT76?

Yes, the CZ-807 is being selected to replace the Type 56 initially, but there is no reason why the PA and POF wouldn't work with CZ to get a 7.62x51 mm BREN down the line.

Sticking to the BREN will enable the armed forces to train for one rifle and for POF to efficiently - and cost-effectively - manufacture one platform.

It was reported by all sources that PA was testing CZ 806 BREN 2 just like most of them were reporting Zastava M21 was under trials instead of the M77. But, pictures of BREN 2 were different from the rifle PA was offered (See Page 1 of this thread). The one seen in Pakistan uses a curved magazine (like AK-47) and I am glad Mr. Martin Šanda has confirmed that it was the 7.62x39mm CZ 807 which was trialed 'successfully' by PA.

I believe both FN and Beretta have already lost the tender. While the rifles offered by FN (x51 and x39) are very expensive, the ARX-160 (x39) offered by Beretta will be a 'downgrade' of the army units using the Chinese AK-47s.

From ARMÁDNÍ NOVINY article:

"..............CZ BREN 2 is very well thought out platform family of multirážové assault rifles in three calibers 5.56 × 45 NATO / 7.62 x 39 / 7.62 x 51. From the shortest 8 "special, to the rifle for precision shooters. All while maintaining the same shooting habits, control, ergonomics and sustainability of weapons in combat deployment, " said Šanda explaining a major shift from CZ 805 to CZ BREN 2.

You can now speculate what is coming as a replacement for G3. :-) :enjoy:

@Path-Finder @Thorough Pro @Horus @Kurlang @Suff Shikan

Last edited:
It was reported by all sources that PA was testing CZ 806 BREN 2 just like most of them were reporting Zastava M21 was under trials instead of the M77. But, pictures of BREN 2 were different from the rifle PA was offered (See Page 1 of this thread). The one seen in Pakistan uses a curved magazine (like AK-47) and I am glad Mr. Martin Šanda has confirmed that it was the 7.62x39mm CZ 807 which was trialed 'successfully' by PA.

I believe both FN and Beretta have already lost the tender. While the rifles offered by FN (x51 and x39) are very expensive, the ARX-160 (x39) offered by Beretta will be a 'downgrade' of the army units using the Chinese AK-47s.

From ARMÁDNÍ NOVINY article:

"..............CZ BREN 2 is very well thought out platform family of multirážové assault rifles in three calibers 5.56 × 45 NATO / 7.62 x 39 / 7.62 x 51. From the shortest 8 "special, to the rifle for precision shooters. All while maintaining the same shooting habits, control, ergonomics and sustainability of weapons in combat deployment, " said Šanda explaining a major shift from CZ 805 to CZ BREN 2.

You can now speculate what is coming as a replacement for G3. :-) :enjoy:

@Path-Finder @Thorough Pro @Horus @Kurlang @Suff Shikan
Yes, it seems like the CZ-806 BREN 2 and CZ-807 (7.62x39) are in fact different sub-families of the CZ-805 BREN. But from what I remember, the CZ-807 predates the CZ-806, it came around the time of the CZ-805A2 in 2013 and was made for India's rifle trials. So it doesn't benefit from the CZ-806's improvements in recoil and weight (unless the 806 was made from the 807).

What could end up happening now is that we see another sub-family, one that aims to tackle 5.56 NATO, 7.62x39, and 7.62 NATO while also building on the improvements of the BREN 2. Maybe a BREN 3?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom